on 11 July 2016
I normally buy cheap (£10-£15, or less) cycling shorts for mountain biking as I tend to wear them out quickly by not looking after them and swimming in the pool/sea in them after a ride when it's hot but saw the reviews on these and thought I'd get a pair as I just got my first road bike and was planning on some longer rides.

I've now done a few hundred km's in these Openroad shorts and I am very pleased. A great fit and really comfortable. Way better than the cheap ones I'm used to, so much more support and comfort. Definitely a premium feel to them.

I'm a 33"-34" and went for the Large size (34-36") which was good advice from other reviewers - perfect snug fit.

I recently combined these with Udderly Smooth 227g Chamois Anti Chaffing Cream with Shea Butter for riding in the super hot Cyprus summer weather and no chaffing or discomfort at all during or after the ride.

Can't comment on the longevity yet but will consider ordering another pair of these for when they do wear out.

** UPDATE **
After around 1200km the shorts are showing distinct signs of deterioration. Lets just say that the material's opacity is now rather questionable. OK, this has been during the hot Cyprus summer meaning an awful lot of sweating on my rides but I had hoped they would have lasted a bit longer. For this reason I've reduced my original 5 star to 4 stars. They are very good cycling shorts as described in my review above but they are wearing out sooner than I expected.
on 18 May 2016
Really Poor Quality - I did one cycle to work in these and for some reason the fabric was frayed and the white lining inside seem to have been pulled out.. for one ride this is pretty bad and can only think of the state of them after 10 rides.

Not only that but i didn't at all find them very comfortable - the padding inside was too abrasive compared to my current pairs and for the 9 miles I cycled I found them uncomfortable.
review image
on 26 September 2017
Excellent quality
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 May 2015
These shorts are great and are very confortable on long rides. I have been using and washing them regularly and no signs of wear and tear! The sizing though is wrong. I went for one size up and fit perfectly!

Hi. I have purchased Men's Gel Padded Cycling Shorts three years ago and i have used them no more than 50 rides. They were comfortable on the first rides but they were get worst each ride went by. On my last three rides, they became so much uncomfortable that i decided to cut them open and see whats inside. To my suprice, i found out that the only thing that was inside the chamois were two gel small pads that have been moved from their position due to glue failure. The gel pads are small and someone should be lucky to much the width of their sitbones with the width of the gels. Also the chamois is madeup of poorly one layer of foam.
review imagereview imagereview image
on 7 June 2016
I've been a keen runner for many years but recently picked up my first injury, damaging my hip cartilage and consequently straining muscles in rather... delicate areas. As such, I found myself having to get onto my bike more frequently and building up the miles that way.

I regularly cycle a short distance to work, but trying to go for more substantial sessions was a real pain in the....well, you get the picture.

So, I have bitten the bullet and invested in these padded shorts. I have to say, I'm impressed. They look about as fetching as is possible for lycra shorts, but they do an excellent job. It was my first experience of wearing these, but I have small kids so squeezing bottoms into nappies is second nature (just not normally my own) and this certainly feels like wearing nappies- until you get on the bike and then it's virtually unnoticeable.

The quality of the padding is good- not too heavy, not too thin. I followed the advice of other reviews and bought a size up. Due to my injury I've also kept my padded seat cover on, which I think would have been enough by itself before, but using both works fine for my poor traumatised derrier.

I have never bought more expensive cycling gear, but for the price and quality of these I don't see why you would.

Top tip- go commando! I didn't want to believe it either but, having tried both, and even though it feels wrong it's much more comfy sans pants if you can bear to make yourself do it!
on 3 March 2018
These are good quality. I ride two or the times a week 26 to 50 mile rides so I have four pairs now. Very comfy.
on 13 January 2018
So badly designed. The padding is in completely the wrong place. And obviously non-returnable once you've discovered that. Total waste of money. Going straight in the bin after one ride.
on 15 March 2018
not been used by me as a present. Looked and the padding felt good. Good price.
on 4 August 2017
I can tell the padding is not wide enough to comfort the area need. If the padding was a wider area, these would be good.
I'm returning these, and I'm going to use the money to buy a bigger seat!

Quality of material and stitching seems a good standard. 80% Nylon, 20% Spandex, machine wash only at 40c.
on 18 July 2017
Very nice shorts for the price, good fit I think true to size, they are well made I have done a fifty mile ride in them and the gel pad worked well kept me comfy. Would like it if the leg gripper was wider but I still didn't have any problems of them riding up.