Customer reviews

on 12 September 2017
Summary:
I've reviewed the Illy Medium Roast as a "neutral" type of italian coffee. The Illy Dark Roast is much stronger than the Medium roast. Good for use in espressos or cappucinos. Tastes quite bitter but good if you need a pick-me-up. My folks love this roast but I prefer the Medium roast so your mileage may vary.

Pros:
+ Dark, strong, bitter taste.
+ Cheap if you buy it at 5 pounds per 250g can. Note that price hovers around 5 - 6.5 pounds.
+ Comes in a neat tin can.

Cons:
- Bitter taste may not be liked by all.
- Sometimes it loses taste over long periods. I'd just chuck it in a cappucino if that happens.
- Solo packs are almost always more expensive than the double pack for some reason.
on 20 May 2013
Illy coffee gives me a great cuppa the taste is fantastic works well in my coffee duck.
Bought from this site as it is cheaper to buy twin pack than individual.
A little tip once you open your tin keep it in the fridge will give you excellent taste
on 17 February 2016
If you own a proper espresso maker with a group head, then you need a fine espresso grind. If you want the convenience of preground coffee then this is perfect. We prefer the darker roast as it reminds us of coffee from the continent.
on 25 April 2016
This makes an exceptional espresso. I use this when i'm on the go with my minipresso portable espresso machine, and love the quality of it. Its a nice dark roast, and i get a really good crema. all around a great dark roast for espresso making
on 11 August 2016
Love this coffee in my Italian stove coffee maker. It's better than others as it seems to infuse the coffee better as its finer. Nice taste, rich and strong. I order the twin pack as it offered a saving
on 27 April 2015
Regular Illy has reigned as supreme leader of the coffee bean forever. I was intrigued to try this variant and have to say I was really impressed. The same quality is there, but the extra roast provides a strength of flavour that persists on the palate form much longer. This is a welcome addition to the Illy family.
on 14 December 2015
The GF used to own a coffee shop and she is a bit of a barista and she loves this coffee. So do I! We have tried a few others and this is the best by miles for espressos and cappuccinos.
on 15 July 2015
Works really well in our coffee machine and if you love a strong black coffee this is great. This is closest so far for the machine that in strength is like the Cuban coffee I love.
on 8 January 2016
Illy coffee is definately worth the extra cost, this is my favourite as I like strong coffee but is too strong for the wife who prefers the illy red
on 9 January 2017
Bought as a present. Recipient very happy with it. Very good taste.