Customer reviews

Forlorn Hope: The Storming of Badajoz
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.38

on 1 April 2014
Thank you James, what can I Say? Another fantastically descriptive journey through a battle with an engaging main character. Very much enjoyed.
on 29 September 2013
This is the first book that I have read by James Mace, who was a professional soldier in the US Army, and now I believe serves in the US National Guard. He has previously written a series of novels about the Roman army but has now turned his hand to the Napoleonic period, of which Forlorn Hope was the first in the style of a novella. This short but incredibly accurate story tells the horrific true story of the siege, storming and aftermath of the battle of Badajoz during Spring 1812.

Clearly an awful lot of study went into this tale much to the authors credit, which he has cleverly combined with fictional and real characters to produce a very well written, engaging, thoroughly enjoyable, yet disturbing story of what we are capable of doing to each other during times of conflict. Well done Mr Mace, now I'll have to find the other novels!

I've read a few books about this period both factual and fictional, I should say fictional but based on historical fact and this is right up there with the best of them, it's a great story and highly recommended.

John Salter
Author of Blood of Rome: Caratacus
on 19 November 2012
If you like Cornwall and Goldsworthy then this book is for you. I found it a little predictable but that's probably because I've read Snow's 'To War with Wellington' (which is excellent) and as Mace's book is based on fact (and Snow's book) then its not realy surprising. At the end it brings a lump to the throat......sniff!
on 4 May 2013
Napoleonic history is a hobby of mine, and Wellington's battles of the Spanish Peninsular is a must read for me. I read `Forlorn Hope - the storming of Badajoz' quite quickly as it is a short book of 108 pages. Overall I enjoyed the story, but as a novel there is nothing new having read Bernard Cornwall's Sharpe books. The battle was factual, which gave it a textbook style to some extent. For those interested in Napoleonic battles it is five stars, but for those looking for the battle to be the background of a adventure or romance story it leaves a lot to be desired.
on 4 June 2013
James Mace True account of the battle for Badajoz and the part played by the Forlorn Hope Storming of Badajoz.
Very good read and enlighten as to extreme hardship suffered by the forlorn hope.
I would highly recommend this book.
Mr. Michael Steel.
on 30 March 2013
A well written book ,which is as close to the actual history of the siege and storming of the breach at the Badajoz as is possible..
I normally stick to pure factual history,but this excellently written book gave a human element to this famous event,and does not fight shy of the terrible waste,and carnage that occurred, or of the terrible events in the city once it fell.
The book does not glorify the events, and leaves one with plenty to consider.
An exciting and enjoyable read.
on 17 December 2012
This book is almost as good as Bernard Cornwell, the details & descriptions put you there, would recommend this book to anyone.
on 7 November 2014
The Forlorn Hope certainly captures the imagination and entertainment factor !
Having extensively read the SHARP series and other PENINSULA War books, I was thoroughly entertained by Mace's contribution of The Forlorn Hope.... let's hope other books follow in close succession.
Well researched and fast paced, kept me reading until after 3 am .
Get back to the keyboard Mr Mace ..... we're waiting.
As they say in the Army ... F.I.D.O.
on 3 March 2016
My first book by this author and not my last powerfully written leaving a lasting memory after the final page
on 20 February 2013
I enjoyed this well written book which is based on a real battle and was a good read, Very like a Sharp story