Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now New Album - Depeche Mode Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

VINE VOICEon 2 July 2013
I've been working as a Team Member on a SCRUM team for 15+ months. Whilst I've read various books about Agile practices, covering different aspects of the development lifecycle (estimating, testing etc), I've not read one as concise as this before. Somebody I know who keeps hearing me talk about Agile bought this book to get an overview. I borrowed it and read it in half an hour (yes, it really is that short). Did I learn anything from it? No. However, it did remind me of a couple of aspects of SCRUM that the team I am part of doesn't practice. It also reminded me to address the definition of Done again, which is vital to things working smoothly. So, this tiny little book was useful for me as a seasoned software engineer (30+ years) who has been working with SCRUM for the last 15+ months. For anybody new to SCRUM and Agile, I suspect this book will also be useful, but mainly to trigger asking pertinent questions. This book is not enough on its own to suddenly convert a "waterfall" style team to SCRUM/Agile. It is, however, useful, accessible and short!
To be honest there are better guides you can find online with a good ten minutes of Googling or a stint in Youtube, but as a guide that works well on your e-reader it's fine.

Content is pretty good and covers the basics, should only really be seen as an introduction and to be fair I don't think it attempts to position itself as anything else.
on 12 July 2012
Just been invited to project manage an IT team using SCRUM. This book clearly outlines its merits and methodolgy. I'm now very confident and excited to lead the team.
on 1 August 2015
As dev lead for a small company experimenting with Scrum, I found this book to be a very useful 'way-in' for colleagues that weren't able to commit time to studying Scrum in more detail.

We distributed copies to the dev and management teams, and everyone found the necessary hour or two to read through it. Having done so, we all now have good general knowledge of what Scrum is about, which has helped to set the ball rolling for discussion and implementation.

It doesn't answer a lot of the questions that are likely to be asked of course, so if you're a Scrum-Master-to-be you'll want to make sure that you've done a bit more reading around!
on 15 September 2012
Small easy to read book with excellent descriptions of Scrum.
I bought it to research Agile and Scrum before I went on a course and it has helped immensely.
on 8 March 2017
I liked the clear guidance and cut down approach. As with most methods, teams need to own them and adapt them to local circumstances so a basic framework to get you started is probably all you need. Great book for students.
on 21 August 2013
The trouble with short (breif) books is that they often leave you needing more, not this one.
I knew i needed to learn scrum but had no understanding at all about it until i got this book.

This book is very simple to read and clear and to the point, i have read through it twice already and will probably read it once more to really grasp the terms.

I am so impressed with Scrum that i have started to use it in my day to day management of my development team and we have instant results. i am now able to have accountability on work items and can clearly identify where skills are lacking, this alone is amazing. Thanks
on 30 May 2014
Many project management and technology books are padded out with background and discussion which are of little more than academic benefit to the end user. Often it seems primarily to justify 600 pages and a cover price of £40+.

If your interest in Scrum is practical this book does exactly what it says: it provides a primer so you can get started with the process and a reference guide. We need more books like this!
on 11 January 2017
Not enough for you to be a scrum master but covers the key points in order that you can decide on the methods to deploy the principles outlined and research further on the the areas which you feel weakest in terms of methodology.
on 28 February 2014
I've suspected for a long time that agile development is the right way to work in the short term. This little book explains why, and introduced me to the roles. I now know what a scrum master does.