on 8 December 2012
If you are going to give this as a gift make sure you tick the gift wrap option. Arrived as a black branded box with Kindle Paperwhite on the side just to remove any doubt of what it was. As well as spoiling any surprise I would of thought it would increase the chance of theft of a relatively high value product. Also the package is sealed with a tear strip to open meaning you cannot easily open it to check the product without damaging the box. In view of some of the issues raised about the lighting I thought it was sensible to check it so managed to prise the box open without damaging it too badly with a kitchen knife. Initial impressions are good, there is a slight dark shadow in the bottom of the screen but assume that is because the light source is there. The screen is bright without glare and the text is clear and sharp. The touch-screen seems responsive within the confines of the slow screen refresh that is a characteristic of the Kindle and it seems easy to use starting with a short tutorial. Not for me (I prefer the versatility of an iPad) but I am sure my wife will love it.
on 4 August 2013
Bought a kindle 2 weeks ago, was a bit hesitant as not sure if I would actually read off it. Not really been a keen reader. However after buying a kindle paperwhite, I cannot put it down. Already read one book and have loads more to get through.
The kindle is fab, very light weight and easy to hold.
The charge holds for a very long time. Would recommend downloading Calibre software to help manage your ebooks and convert formats.
Easy to read from the kindle, you can change font and size. Easy to read in bright day light and in the dark. Can't wait to take it on a beach holiday with me. Normal books are a thing of the past.
I have certainly been extremely pleased with my purchase. Wish I got one sooner. Go get one!!! PS I have bought a leather flip cover to protect it.
on 21 July 2017
Battery stopped working after a few years of light use. Tried all the reset advice that I can find. Can't find much useful help on Amazon. If you want to pay the equivalent oft £30 - 40 a year for an e reader then it's ok. Does all the things it says it does while it works. The battery problem seems to have happened to quite a lot of other people. My iPad and Motorola mobile have had much more use and lasted better
review image
on 5 October 2014
I've owned most of the Kindle models so far, and this one is an improvement on previous ones. The built in lighting is soft and allows me to read in bed without eye strain, disturbing my partner or excessive light.

I should note that the kindle that I received had a darker patch just above the logo in the center at the bottom. This didn't affect it much functionally.

I have taken to switching mine to Airplane mode when I'm not browsing the store - the wifi connection seems to drain the battery fairly quickly (comparatively) even when not in use. It would be nice if you didn't have to negotiate so many menus to do that.

Niggles aside, this is a great device for reading, made more flexible with the inclusion of the back-light.
on 27 June 2013
I treated myself to a Kindle Paperlight device after purchasing one for my wife. Initially I was dubious but I totally get the use of an Kindle with it's sleek lightweight soft touch finish and excellent clear screen.

This had made reading books more enjoyable and means I can carry a number of books away with me when travelling/on holiday.

Amazon often have very good and sometimes free promotions of books to download and these are automatically downloaded to the device in seconds of ordering.

If I had one piece of advice, I would say get one you won't regret it.
on 3 April 2013
lighter, easier to read & touchscreen. Pocketable, responsive, all good. Almost exactly the same size as the most popular Sony Reader (prs-650) which was lovelier, great alu case. But its battery life soon descended to the unusable, customer service was hilarious - battery change for a similar price to a whole entry level Kindle - and software & store that were laughably unusable - had to keep it on a separate partition as it would crash my PC. Probably the worst piece of consumer software I have ever used, compared to the silky smooth Kindle experience that has caused me to spend way more than the value of my Kindle, happily and willingly, in the 10 weeks I've had a paperwhite. Ultimate opinion, & a good way to judge any tech, if I broke it beyond repair, I'd go to the nearest computer & order a new one.
on 30 April 2014
My refurbished kindle paperwhite is a replacement for my keyboard kindle which developed a fault. Luckily I had taken the extended warranty and things were sorted pretty quick,

Well its fabulous... Love the built in light... love the ease of transferring my books over... Love my new cover... Love my kindle . I dont go anywhere without it . I never thought Id use a kindle cos I love browsing in book shops but I wouldnt be without it now .
on 13 February 2014
First the screen does not tired the eyes. I would have not been able to read all the books I bought because of the price. The reading is very comfortable. the big books are not any more difficult to hold. The only negative point is not to have the page number but a percentage but after a while you get used to it. About how often to recharge, I read several hours (insomnia) in one go and cannot say but it is not a problem as I can charge while reading. To read at night is wonderful, not any more room light, I can read discretely and comfortably.
on 24 March 2017
I don't want to write a long review so in short, this is the best e-reader I bought so far, it reads like real book and the most important thing is I can read it in the dark without hurting my eye that much! Battery life is ok since I use it mostly at night, I usually charge it in 3 to 4 days considering I read a lot. No big problem by far so I will give it a 5 star and I will keep update it in the future.
on 7 April 2014
Well, what do you expect?
An e-ink display that has no flickering at all?
A great image quality, no matter what font you use?
A backlight that's not really a backlight but a sidelight which means you don't get blinded, even at night?
More than sufficient storage, a free 3G connection that can be used with the built-in browser?
If you ansered yes to all of the above, then the Paperwhite is for you. It's made for reading books and that's what it does best (and it does this REALLY well!).
The only downside I have discovered (after much searching) is the missing text-to-speech functionality that other Kindles have, but to be honest, if I want an audiobook, I put it on my Android phone and listen to it there.
In essence, great display quality, battery life, connectivity (3G and Micro-USB), ticks all the boxes, gets all 5 stars!