on 15 July 2017
This was a wonderful book full of the rich history of the early days of the WI from its inception and with special emphasis on the role played by rural WI women during WW2 in so many various ways. It's been an education to learn all they were able to achieve, with an enormous lack of any of the modern cons we so easily take for granted. They coped with all demands from central government with dedication and also remarkable cheerfulness. A very impressive factual history compiled from the notes of ordinary women who became an extraordinary group. So glad I came across this gem.
on 5 December 2016
ITS OKAY BUT NOT LIKE THE TV SERIES AT ALL AND PROBABLY WOULDNT HAVE BOUGHT I HAD I KNOWN MORE FACTUAL THAN STORY
on 10 July 2013
As a WI member and post-war baby, I bought this after reading a review in WI Life. It is a fascinating read, both as history and a revealing insight into women's lives. Super book & well worth reading.
on 4 August 2017
This rating may change as I'm only a couple of chapters in plus the Prologue - covering the history of the WI and how it came into being, which to be honest I'm finding a little 'dry'. Hopefully things will get better and people's actual stories will be told giving more insight into living during the period we're all so fascinated with. Fingers crossed!
on 14 October 2017
I bought this after watching the TVs series, home fires, thinking it would be a true story book in the traditional sense, which it is not. However, it is a recollection of facts and figures and opinions about the WI during WW2, and was a fascinating read, there were some aspects outside of the jam making etc that you usually associate with these women, that I already knew about, yet I learnt a lot about these wonderful women who helped run our country while the men were away doing their part. Brilliant read for anyone who is interested in this era.
on 18 July 2017
This was our reading group book last month. Don't expect a story like the TV series. This is the actual story of the WI and it's role in WW2. Julie Summers has taken archive material and memories of members of the WI who were there at the time and used them to write this eminently readable book. All our ladies loved it, but then, we are all current members of the WI.
on 30 December 2016
Disappointed that it was a factual account. Thought it would have had more of a story running through it.
on 14 March 2017
Cannot say I enjoyed it.
on 7 January 2017
nothing like the great tv show of the same name
on 20 March 2017
I found this a fascinating, moving read. Great to learn about what country women got up to during the War to support the war effort and keep their communities going, despite facing many hardships. Highly recommend!