on 8 October 2012
This book is an incredibly well written guide to developing for the iOS platform.
Honestly, if you can buy only one book on the subject, get this one. You won't regret it.
on 14 July 2014
These series of books are great. Be warned though, if going for a second hand copy, make sure you are getting the coronet printing number, they are up to the 4th edition now. 2nd is OK but doesn't cover the latest OS changes that apple have made.
on 9 October 2013
I first programmed a computer in 1968 and enjoyed a career as a programmer until demand for this kind of work fell away.

A few months ago, I was given the very welcome opportunity to revive my programming career. The job was to develop an iPhone application to take set-up information from a database and return a report.

I'd never programmed for this platform before. Worse, I had never even used the programming language although I recall reading Brad Cox's original paper on Objective C. I'd taken the C++ and Java route rather than use the message-passing form of object oriented programming that I now found myself using. Worse still, I had a tight deadline.

Never having regarded myself as a nerd, I was somewhat put off by the title of this book but it's remarkable how little help I was able to get out of others that aimed to teach the same subject.

This book got me started and greatly eased the process of completing the work. Taking the reader through example application programs - I'm supposed to call them "apps" now - it introduced new aspects of the platform and programming language with clear and concise explanations. It introduced useful techniques that I could apply immediately.

Problems? Only a few and minor.

Get the paper version. A Kindle is too narrow an orifice through which to use this kind of work, even using the Mac kindle reader full screen. I had to constantly refer back to previous chapters.

For what I had to do, the book left me having still to do a lot of research but that was only to be expected.

If you want more than you get from the trivial introduction to programming an iPhone or iPad offered by, for example, the Apple web pages, this book will help you.
on 25 April 2012
This is 2nd book everyone should read when you start programming for iOS.

The first one you should read is also from The Big Nerd Ranch : learning objective C. Why you should read it (unless you're very, very familiar with Objective C) ? Because it nicely explains everything you need to know about Objective C to get started with iOS. Nothing more, nothing less. No overkill, just plain & clear explanations. Advanced topics like block code will only become really clear when you use it a few times in examples in the iOS programming book

To my opinion, the criticism on some reviews about having to type so much code in is not correct : I know from many years of programming in several languages that the only way to learn a language is not to look at it, not to read (too much) about it, but to type in code, and understand every single letter you're typing, and to know why it is. Most chapters end with a challenge, to really make you start thinking about the subject, and to force you to dive into the SDK documentation in Xcode. That's also the message you get early in the book : USE the documentation as much as possible. Far from everything in the SDK can be captured in books, it's just too much.

I've read tens of books so far about all kinds of programming languages, this book really excels them all. It is so well thought, and you'll learn so many details on the way, that you'll be amazed how far you get by only finishing this book. But really finishing it of course.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 March 2013
I'm about halfway through and finding this an excellent guide to the complexities of iOS app development, Xcode and the Cocoa API. It's not really a beginner's book, though, so if you're starting iOS programming from scratch, you should work through one of the Objective-C textbooks first.

Each chapter takes you step by step through some code demonstrating a feature of iOS such as memory management, view controllers and notifications. You type in the code and read the commentary by the authors to understand what you're doing, then you tackle the "challenges" at the end of the chapters to practice what you've learnt. If you get stuck on the challenges, you can pick up tips in the Nerd Ranch forums.

Apple are frequently updating iOS, Cocoa and Xcode, so books like this need to be kept up-to-date with appropriate revisions. This edition is for iOS5. As I write, the current iOS is 6.1, and there are times when I'm working through the code examples and finding that something isn't working because Apple have changed some feature in the latest iOS. The Nerd Ranch forums are helpful for finding workarounds for these problems, though, so it's more of a slight annoyance rather than a major obstacle.

Hopefully this book will get a revision before, or soon after, the next major iOS update.
on 9 August 2011
This is third book I have purchased on iOS application development, and I pretty much consider it a bench mark for other authors/publishers to follow.

This first title I purchased (Learning iPhone Programming) merely scratched the surface, so when I initially started working through this title I was a little confused as the concepts were shown rather differently. Rather than just creating projects using Xcode's built in templates (like the afore mentioned title), you are shown how to create the various views/controllers programatically which gives you a better understanding behind these concepts.

There are also plenty of diagrams included which help give you an understanding as to how the projects you build are held together using Apples preferred programming model MVC, as well as diagrams which simply help to get the points in the text across to the reader.

If I have one minor criticism, it would be that not every piece code is explained (the majority is), but then I guess that is what Apple's documentation is for, so I am probably expecting everything to be handed to me on a plate.
on 4 April 2013
Great for beginners and intermediate developers on IOS. Only a minor glitch about not embracing storyboards. I agree beginers should start without them but not use them at all??! Seriusly!!

All things considerated, a must buy.
on 3 January 2012
The book expects you to know some C and Objective-C. Start with the introductory volume (written by the same author) if you're lacking.

Examples are extremely well laid out and explained in thorough detail.

Be aware that this book was published just before the advent of iOS 5 and Xcode 4.2. The author has provided a small download package on bignerdranch.com in order to be able to follow the first few chapters (where Xcode has changed a bit since the book was published). With this download, you are able to follow that practices to the letter.

The iOS 5 version will be out at the end of March. If you need to get going now, just get this.
on 25 June 2012
This book is nominally aimed at the beginner to iOS programming. Nevertheless, despite already being an experienced developer, I found much of value in it. Its development of the ideas of memory management is outstanding. It really got down to the nitty gritty of what is going on, and after reading it I have a much better idea of how and why much of the boiler plate code that I always use works. I would thoroughly recommend it for any developer.
The only possible criticisms are that it fails to address ARC or grand central dispatch. Hopefully a future edition will deal with those subjects.
on 8 December 2013
Great book to learn how to develop app for iOS even if never programmed in Objective-C. In this book the reader learns by following the practical examples and solving the challenges, instead of just reading the theory.

A drawback of this book is that it is about the version 4.3 of Xcode while the last version is 5, which is different from the presented on the book. One way to overcome this is to follow the instructions in [...]