Customer reviews

Unmasked
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.49

on 16 April 2012
This morning,on hearing this cd for the first time, I actually shed a tear whilst eating my porridge. John doesn't just sing, he performs each song as though he were performing it on stage. His incredbible acting talent is very evident on this cd.

His voice has so much depth, one moment portraying anger and frustration and the next tenderness. It is a talent which only a small number of artists possess.

The orchestrations are excellent, simple accoustic guitars on Love of My Life and Hallelujah to the tumultous sounds in Thunderball.

There is not a bad track on this album by one of Britain's greatest performers and if I could only possess one cd, this would be the one.
14 people found this helpful
on 24 April 2012
John Owen-Jones is one of the greatest singers these days. His performances as the Phantom are legendary and with this CD he tried to capture his musical and acting talent on a piece anyone can keep at home to listen to it over and over again. With songs like "Til I hear you sing", "All I ask of you" and "Without you" he shows how brilliant and powerful his voice really is.

If you have ever seen him live on stage you can imagine his acting performance while listening to each and every note.

From the music to the design of the album it is a brilliant piece of work everyone should own!
3 people found this helpful
on 1 June 2012
I've just bought this after seeing John on stage twice, once in Les Mis in 2010 and again recently in the Phantom tour - he's just AMAZING both on stage and on a CD.
He brings to life any song with warmth, character & depth that not a lot of today's artists can manage, my only criticism is that there's 2 songs on here which were on his last album - Bring Him Home and The Music of the Night. I wish I could purchase the Phantom CD with him singing, there seems to be several available without him which is annoying seems as he's played the role more than anyone else.
Buy this CD and you will not be dissapointed, it makes me want to clap and cheer after every song & gives me goose bumps - I just love him!!! :-)
One person found this helpful
on 24 April 2012
I thought John Owen Jones couldn't possibly get any better- he's proved me wrong!

The power, dynamics, control, incredible tone & sheer talent, together with his acting ability, combine to thrill the senses in an album which is a celebration of versatility & perfectionism.

I had looked forward to hearing again John's version of "Till I Hear You Sing" but, his incredible power & breathing during "Thunderball", particularly the AMAZING final note! The abandon, intensity & inhibition of "Without you" & sensitivity of "Down To The Sea" & "Love Of My Life" together with all the other amazing tracks took me on a roller coaster ride of emotion.

The orchestration is sensitive to every genre, from simple guitar backing to the full blast required for "Thunderball" it never fails to deliver the exact requirements.

I have a cd for the house, 1 for the car & download on my ipad for portability (how else can you listen in the bath?)

Just terrific!!!!!
on 23 August 2012
John Owen Jones is the voice of a generation - there simply isn't anybody better. This album is a more eclectic mix than his previous offering, ranging as it does from his familiar Musical Theatre stylings to the beautifully-crafted "Nature Boy" and his powerful (tongue in cheek?) homage to Tom Jones on "Thunderball". For me, the album's centrepieces are a beautifully-woven duet with Bryn Terfel on "I Don't Remember You / Sometimes A Day Goes By", and a performance of "'Til I Hear You Sing" that will raise hairs on the back of the neck of anyone who saw him sing it on the Three Phantoms tour. An absolute must for anyone who loves a big voice that isn't afraid to step up to bat.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 April 2012
I loved John s previous CD and this one is just as brilliant. A great variety of songs which fully showcase his incredible versatility and range. John s voice is so beautiful it defies description, but he doesnt just sing the songs, he becomes the character in each one. Thunderball is simply mindblowing..is he channeling Tom here? John s version is similar, but different enough to make it his own, and his new interpretation of Music of the Night is so utterly captivating that as I listen, I am immediately drawn into the Phantom s lair! He makes a pretty darned good Raoul too in All I Ask of You....I d be his Christine any day!!
on 24 April 2012
JOJ's new album is just as compelling and wonderful as his last, the selection of songs is well thought out and crafted and amazing to listen to. To select a few, having seen Company a couple of times recently with different performers, I don't think I've really listened to the words of Being Alive before, his interpretation made me shed a tear and I don't cry easily!
His performance of Till I Hear you Sing Once More would surely have kept Love Never Dies, alive longer. This is the Moment is up there with Michael Ball's version and Tom (the Voice) has a rival with Thunderball. I'm still listening to and learning with pleasure the songs I know less well and those I haven't heard before, that was also the joy of his previous album. More please.
on 24 April 2012
From this album you can feel the real Welsh Man behind his mask.
He put efforts making this album graet & wonderful!
The track sequence arrangement, the design of the CD...
All so down to earth. You'll fall in love with his voice.

Life without music is nothing

And there's a secret track hidden in Track 14 Hallelujah!
(CD Version only, not for the D/L version)
Jump to 18:00 when Hallelujah ends at 06:00
The hidden track is a Welsh Folk "Eli Jenkins Prayer".
This is an ACAPPELLA :)
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 2 May 2017
This was a present for a family member. She was very happy with it,
on 3 June 2012
This was such a great cd! I bought it on impulse because I have loved him as Phantom/Jean Valjean, and love his other cd, but this was great! Although I am always glad to hear his gorgeous voice, I was pleasantly surprised by his choice of songs - there were some really great ones, and his version of "Thunderball" is AMAZING!!! So BUY IT if you like JOJ or just love great music ;)
One person found this helpful