Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 19 January 2015
This is a tricky one to review for a couple of reasons. Most books want to be entertaining, enjoyable etc . Here, the subject matter is such that the usual terms feel wrong somehow. What it undoubtedly is, is a starkly honest travelogue through an emotionally painful coming of age, scarred by abuse and weighed down by depression. What it is not is a dreary, self-pitying whine that you have to drag yourself through. I read it in jig time. As for the two E words at the start…who cares. There are some funny moments, but mainly I'm just glad I read it and I can see myself reading it again in the future. Why? Well that’s the second reason it's tricky to review. We share a lot of geographical common ground. Bellshill, Blackwood, Lesmahagow…but it would appear other stuff to. What? I'm not as brave as Mr Wilson. Paddy, you can be proud.
on 6 March 2015
In many ways this is a grim tale, but the way Mark writes it's also funny and uplifting. I was really moved by this book but I also laughed out loud in several places, which is the sign of a great writer. Some brilliant turns of phrase that are colourful and very Scottish. Made me long for home...
on 5 January 2014
The author at the start states that there have been no corrections or re-drafts of this work so I can forgive the grammatical and spelling errors. This tale of overcoming depression is truthful, at times funny and throughout enlightening. From the opinion of someone on the outside looking in, I think Mark Wilson has done a good job of telling his story, there's no gushing 'why me' episodes or 'If only' passages, it's honest, brutal and in my opinion should be given free on the NHS to other suffers of this often misunderstood and maligned illness. He has a lovely turn of phrase with lines like, 'The house dripped and stank with fear.'

I'm not a fan of this type of of writing, as I feel too many people have used it as a vehicle to complain and blame, however Mark Wilson uses it to educate and explain, not once does he wallow in self-pity and because of this following his recovery, he's quite rightly entitled to say, 'I know that I deserve to have these things, opportunities and people in my life and can acknowledge my victories.'
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 March 2012
Mark Wilson writes honestly about his life his past, his present and his emotions during his darkest moments, this book is honest and insightful . Mark's book has had me in tears of sadness, in awe of his courage and spirit and also in tears of laughter at some points. A great read from a great new author.
on 31 December 2014
This is a good book on Mark Wilson's experience of depression due to his difficult childhood. For those who suffer with depression, I think this book might help them to understand a little of why they feel as they do and that they are not alone in their struggle.
on 15 November 2012
Really enjoyed this book, though it was not a humorous book like Bobby's Boy. Very poignant and, above all, honest. For the author to write about deeply personal issues to us, complete strangers, was very brave and he must be applauded for that. Wonder how many people suffer from depression simply due to NOT expressing their feelings to loved ones, never mind to strangers(the reader), altho' opening your soul to strangers can at times be easier than to loved ones. I would recommend this book to anyone who has suffered from, or knows someone who has, depression.
on 17 May 2012
A truly beautiful, honest and from the heart account of life with depression as your companion. Laugh out loud funny too. I wanted to read more... I loved every word, Paddy has a Daddy to be proud of!!
on 26 March 2012
Well what can I say ? This writer had me in tears reading what I can only describe as an open page to his heart. He writes with passion and honesty, what a gift this man has. He rips memories from deep within and bares them for all to see. Excellent
on 13 May 2012
I didn't know what to expect when I started to read this book but all i can say its absolutely fantastic. Mark has written this book from the heart which makes it all the better read. I laughed; cried and at also that WOW did i really just read that correctly. I'm not going to divulge any more just read the book you'll not be able to put it down.
on 26 March 2012
A brilliant & honest book by an inspiring auther.....tears, laughter & sadness....Emotional rollercoaster of short stories....brilliant brilliant brilliant...Will look forwrard to more from this guy....