on 3 May 2012
Before buying things like TVs, I normally read as many reviews as possible to find out which ones are highly rated etc.. This time I didn't. I went into a large TV shop and just looked at the screens. The Panasonic TX-L42DT50B just blew me away. Less than 3cm thick, it has an extremely narrow bezel and a superb picture. After checking that it had all the connections that I need (it has a terrestrial and a satellite receiver), I went ahead and bought it. Only afterwards did I read the reviews about this TV and, with the exception of one review on this website, all the `professional' reviewers rated it `five stars'. And they are all correct. I also have a one year old 46" Samsung UE46C8000 which is very highly rated, but this TV is better. I undertand that this is Panasonics' first LED TV, as opposed to Plasma. Boy, are they going to give the others a run for their money.
22 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2012
I have recently purchased this TV (not from Amazon because I wanted the manufacturers 5 yr warranty), and felt I need to redress the balance on the reviews to date. This TV is stunning to look at whether it's on or off. In my opinon the picture quality is good in SD, stunning in HD and awesone in 3D. The built in internet functionality is also great for the I-Player and You-Tube videos. Unforunately you can't use 4OD or the ITV Player, but I thinks this is more of a restriction on the appps than the TV.
I bought this set from a Panasonic shop in November 2012 and have only now decided to write a review.
2 years on and this set is still working perfectly.
The picture is stunning, i have yet to see a better 1080p, the colours are vibrant and the blacks are jet black.
I use a Panasonic sound bar which is also brilliant but can add that i've tried the tele speakers and they are fine too.
The best feature for me is the 3D. Using the active shutter glasses the effects can be astonishing depending on the source.
SKY's 3D channel is a good source but has limited choice.
3D Blu-Ray is probably the best, just read the reviews on Amazon to get the best choice. (I can recommend the Redford narrated documentary on the Grand Canyon).
I also received the free glasses but as other reviews point out you have to keep changing the tiny cell batteries.
I also bought another 2 pair of rechargeable glasses well worth it.
This is the best T.V. i have ever owned and after two years i am still getting a kick out of it and so felt inspired to write this review.
Well done Panasonic.
on 27 December 2012
I didn't get this TV from Amazon it was an impulse buy from a high street store, I have had it for almost a month now.

First off the picture quality in 2D is great there is a minor amount of bleed from the edges if you watch in low light levels but to be honest if you want to watch TV in low light I would say plasma is the only way to go at the moment. The only thing i watched in 3D is the Queens speech which I thought looked good but until I get a 3D blue ray player or BBC transmit some sport in 3D, 6 Nations would be nice:) I can't comment further.

Standard Def freeview pictures aren't great but when looking at other LED sets I couldn't find a single one that does great Standard Def so I am more inclined to blame the broadcasters than the TV especially when Film4 looks good while E4 is usually a little rough round the edges.

I was getting bad motion blur/Ghosting regardless of the content I was watching but after playing with the settings it appears to be caused by the Intelligent Frame Creation which by default was on auto, switching this setting to off or Min removed the issue in all but the rarest of cases.

The App store is pretty bare there is only iPlayer from the big 4 terrestrial broadcasters, however the Netflix app is first rate. I would like to see Lovefilm as an option and maybe NOWTV in the future but based on my experience with Panasonic adding to previous online stores I won't hold my breath.

Speakers are not terrible but they do lack depth but I figure most people spending this kind of cash on a TV will either connect to an AMP or buy a sound bar with it. On that note it only has digital output no Analogue so you will need a converter if like me you have an analogue AMP. I bought a cheap one that does the job but when I open up Netflix I do have to keep telling it to use the digital out.
on 15 November 2012
I bought this TV and don't get me wrong it is a fantastic TV but I do want others to know its not perfect!!
The internet can be jumpy and the movie streaming from my PC sometimes just cuts out for no reason so I have totally stopped using that and just play from my PS3.
The picture is totally amazing but if you have a white background you tend to get some motion blur surrounding peoples figures and fast moving objects.
I am whoever really enjoying this tv and the picture quality in 3D is totally outrageous.
Its just not perfect and another thing: I applied and got my 2 pairs of free 3D Glasses but they are battery glasses and don't recharge which means you need to keep buying cell batteries for them?? so ill probably end up using them as spares and buying another 2 that I can recharge.
Viera App: This app requires a lot of work and sometimes cannot connect to the TV, seems to have serious bugs to be sorted out.
I am probably being a tad harsh on this TV as it looks amazing and the picture quality (apart from blur now and again) is great but in my book it still only gets 3 STAR rating as it cost £995!!! EXPENSIVE!
on 14 February 2013
I was pleasantly surprised with this TV. It was very simple and quick to set up. So far I only use Freeview HD but it has Freesat HD as well. I wired it into my broadband internet as the hub is only two feet away, although the TV has WiFi. I use a Panasonic Diga Freeview PVR which is I also wired in, along with a Virgin Media V+ HD box, all using HDMI connections. My old DVD player is connected with a Scart RGB lead. Audio is via my home cinema setup. I bought a 500Gb Seagate HDD for programme recording.

Likes: Picture quality using the Cinema profile is excellent, and really shows up the best programme production, great contrast. The general setting is not to my taste but others will like it. Upscaling from PVR or DVD is good and adds to the picture, but it will never equal a native 1080 HD source, however the quality is fine. Recording to the 500Gb HDD works well, but you don't get the range of features on a PVR but audio and picture are the same quality as the original programme, so a neat and easy to use feature. Internet access is superb over my 60Mbs Virign broadband. I watched an hour show from BBC iPlayer with only the odd picture flicker (and I am being picky here) and this may have a lot to do with using a wired connection not WiFi. Access to You Tube is also terrific (but note the material on You Tube varies in quality hugely) although searching is fiddly using the remote to input text. The big unexpected plus is that I can see and play back all the music, video and still photo material on my PC on the TV and the quality is great, and it took almost no setup. Brilliant. The icing on the cake is that I have a DLNA app on my Nokia mobile phone and within a minute I had pictures from my phone streaming to the TV - again brilliant and easy to do. BTW phone needs to be connected to your home WiFi. You may also want to download the Panasonic Viera app MkII to you iPhone/Pad and share material and control the TV using it.

Dislikes: The sound is poor on the built in speakers, no two ways about it. The streaming from phone or PC appears to sometimes need you to access the Internet from the TV 1st to kick start the connection, although I am still learning here. The set appears to switch away from my favourites list so I have to keep selecting it again. It appears that you need to set the picture settings for every input ie HDMI 1 or 2, DVB etc.

I would knock half a star off my rating, but I have to say I am generally very pleased with this TV and would recommend it.
on 20 June 2012
If you are happy to be forced to buy only from Panasonic for everything you want to do then this is probably a good tv. The picture is great and there is only a small amount of bleed coming in from the corners (only really noticeable during dark scenes).

But if you want to choose a soundbar or surround sound system from another manufacturer forget it. You cannot disable the television speakers unless you plug in another Panasonic product. This is because the speaker controls are in Viera Connect, and this can only be accessed if you plug in a Panasonic product.

I have a Yamaha YAS101 soundbar (which is very good) and even though the TV remote can be used to turn it on/up/down you still have to use the separate controller to avoid also turning the tv speakers up (which are very poor).

I sent a polite email to Panasonic to see if there is a workaround for this and have received no response at all.
77 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 April 2014
I was really looking forward to receiving this large screen TV but the courier that delivered this TV, which was strapped upright onto a pallet, tried to pull the bands off with his bare hands & w hen he couldn't get them off he tried to snap them again with his bare hands ( you can pull a car with these nylon bands ) whilst pulling & tugging at these bands he twisted the corner of the box & cracked the screen I had the seller collect the TV & they gave me a full refund
VINE VOICEon 23 May 2013
Brought this set about a month ago - not from Amazon but locally at a bargain price (£1100) as it was a 'customer return' - too big for their lounge!

I was able to try the set alongside the '2013' model - 55dt65 - and honestly, picture wise could not tell the difference - the newer model is 'smarter' but I was looking for optimal picture quality - and I've got it!!!

The first Tv I have ever brought that I have not had to adjust the picture controls - set it to 'Cinema' as recommended by various reviews - and there it stays - simply wonderful - and it looks just as good off as it does on!

A highly recommended product.
on 1 March 2013
Good sound, Great picture, easy to find my way around get on line see movies. Very light to carry and set up I did it myself and I am well past my sell by date!