on 14 December 2017
Bought the player as a gift. It was plugged in for the 1st time today in Cyprus and the sound doesn't work, it breaks up. Changed leads, DVD discs and TVs still the same. Called Sony helpline. Waste of time. I am in Cyprus so the call cost a lot and no result at all. The advice, take it to a Sony repair centre.
Cant seem to find 1 in Cyprus. Can send back to the UK service centre but the cost will probably end up being half the cost of the DVD player.
I am not at all happy that a faulty item was sold in the first instance. Do these companies not have product testing?
I will certainly not be buying any more Sony products. Their helpline took ages and achieved nothing. Oh and to top it off, I have just received 2 identical e mails telling me my problem has been resolved! Complete dudd item and waste of time and money. Buy another DVD player is my advice.
on 29 November 2017
Does the job but takes a bit longer to load up than better quality DVD players. Sometimes you have to eject the disc and load again to play, not sure why
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on 9 November 2017
Be warned it doesn't seem to want to play MP4 files on a usb stick, plus it only recognises USBs formatted to FAT32 not exFAT or NTFS. Not exactly what the sales blurb implies. Very disappointed.
VINE VOICEon 31 December 2016
This is the Sony DVP-SR760 DVD Player – a simple device that allows you to play back DVD’s. While it’s a simple concept, the market is flooded with countless DVD players from countless manufactures so how do you pick which one is right for you?

Well firstly this player is very compact (just less than thirty centimetres wide) so it’s ideal for anywhere that space is limited or where you don’t want an eyesore. As well as DVD discs it can also play back from USB devices such as flash drives which can be plugged into the front of the unit as well as compact discs containing JPEGS or music files. It is more versatile than pervious DVD players that I’ve seen at this price range as it plays back CD-R/RW, DVD+RW/+R/+R DL, DVD-RW/-R/-R DL, JPEG, MP3, MPEG-4WMA, AAC, Linear PCM & Xvid (my previous Bush player would not recognise XVID file types) so it should be able to cope with most things you throw at it.

The device is easy to set up (plug in the power and a HDMI cable) and you’re running. It’s also easy to use and I doubt anyone would have any difficulty in working out how to play a DVD. Straight-out of the box the playback of movies is very good and the unscaling works well. However if you enter the custom menu, you can edit the default settings to make picture and sound quality even better (as you can select setting specific to your television).

A nice feature also is that is remembers the last point watched in your six previous discs. This means you don’t have to sit through the splash up screens and menus then try and navigate to where you last watched should you need to stop during a movie.

I haven’t had the chance to try the USB function for playback. Going by other reviews here it is not the best – if playing back through a flash drive is important to you then I’d recommend investigating further and reading other reviews. Personally my library is predominately DVD’s anyway so it wasn’t as factor I considered when buying.

I’ve never been a fan of Blu-Ray feeling that the slighter superior picture quality did not compensate for the higher cost of the players as well as the movies themselves as well as the smaller catalogue of films. I have gone through a number of DVD players in the past, all of them cheap and all of them did not last for various reasons. However the build quality and performance of this Sony seems superior in almost every way. It does what it’s designed to do well and it does it for a low asking price. There are cheaper DVD players on the market however for a little more you can get something that gives you a lot in return.
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 February 2018
This is my second DVD player of this exact same model. The first one has been used most days for the last 3 years and it is so good I bought another for my bedroom TV.

£32 (at time of ordering) is not massively expensive for a Sony branded player and not having any desire to purchase Blu-rays a simple DVD player was all that I needed. The picture quality is really good and the unit upscales DVD's to near HD quality - although modern movies and programmes look far crisper than a movie from the 80's for instance.

The remote works well and is nice and chunky to use, its also less likely to be lost down the back of the sofa! The infra-red signal works well without the remote having to be pointed right at the player. I mention this as I previously had a "Value" branded player from a supermarket and the remote control was next to useless, this Sony does not have this problem which is a huge plus.

One thing I should mention is that it is a little noisy compared to other players, especially when the player is loading a disc. However, this is perfectly normal for this particular model so do not worry (both my players make the same sound), and once the disc is playing normally the player is next to silent.

Really pleased and thoroughly recommended.
on 31 March 2017
We recently bought a 43" 4K ultra hd tv. Our old player only used scary leads and wasn't suitable. I saw this model and it's quite cheap but the upscaling of the picture quality is great and the picture it produces is amazing. This little dvd player is certainly worth the money.
22 Comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 January 2018
Well, I wanted to dump my clunky, faithful old Pioneer DVD/HDD recorder but needed a basic DVD player so that we could at least play what DVDs we had.
I chose Sony because of the name and the fact I have bought a lot of their products over the years. I chose this because it didn't have all the 'bells and whistles' of the more expensive ones that play Bluray discs and have WiFi, Apps etc as I have that on my TV.
Upon unwrapping the player I was surprised how light and flimsy it felt but if it does the job then well Ok as it only cost £32 (in Currys in my case).
With respect to its performance there is no grumble from me as it does what it says. However the design of equipment nowadays is generally the big let down and with this Sony player my main gripe is the indicator light that shows the ON/OFF status of the player. It's barely visible buried away there on the physical ON/OFF button - why or why?
The other niggle, soon solved with strips of very 'sticky' neoprene rubber tape was the fact that this light player seemed to slip all over the place on top of my Humax PVR.
In summary then. It suffices, it's small and play the few DVDs I have.
on 7 July 2012
If I was just purchasing this as a DVD player, then it would be a 5 star review. If you buy this for its USB video play back you will be very disappointed. The overview for this product initially says "Free your digital movies and music: Dive into your movie and music libraries and enjoy old favourites on the big screen and surround sound with a USB connection. Plug in your laptop or transfer to a memory stick for fast access to your film library.". Unfortunately when you dig into the manual you will see this is limited to "Video: MPEG-1 (Cyber-shot data)/MPEG-4 (simple profile)/Xvid" and "720 (width) × 576 (height)".

Non of my existing files will play ( including Xvid), so I would need to re-encode all my files to an inferior standard/lower bitrate. Hardly freeing my digital library...
66 Comments| 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 November 2017
The DVD player is ruining my dvds, very disappointed!
review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2016
In my opinion this is a good basic DVD player for everyday/general use at a very reasonable price.
It comes in a well-protected box with a good set of instructions and batteries for the remote control. All you have to do is unpack it and plug it in. The box does not include a HDMI cable so you do need to buy one separately. In most cases a standard HDMI costing a few pounds on Amazon should do the job. You should not there is no SCART port on this DVD player so if your TV only has SCART input or if it only has, say, two HDMI inputs and both are in use than you might want to get a HDMI to SCART converter (also available on Amazon) as well.
When you connect the DVD player to your TV it automatically analyses your TV settings and capabilities and more or less sets itself up. The box itself is
The DVD player upscales to 1080HD, which means it converts older lower resolution images to the near modern HD quality. This is particularly useful if you have a collection of older DVDs or older films etc. stored on DVD. The DVD player also has a USB input so you can watch older media stored on a USB as well if you wish. The upscaling doesn’t work effectively in every case and with really old media but it is surprisingly effective on the majority of non-HD material.
The DVD player itself is quite compact and should fit most TV stands etc. It is finished in a high gloss black with a prominent SONY logo on the front. The HDMI out as usual is on the back of the unit but there is also a handy USB port on the front of the unit that you can use to view anything you want to store on the USB. There is no LED display or anything like that but I personally don’t consider this any deficiency.
I have found this player works really well. It is fast and quiet and is really good value for money. I paid about £30 for it on Amazon and at the same time I saw the same player on sale for £45 at my local national electrical/PC retailer. I consider it a real bargain at £30 and would certainly recommend it to anybody who wants a cheap and reliable DVD player for general everyday use.