on 10 May 2012
You will no longer need to research through multiple books and other channels. The Everyday Cryptography book will literally cover everything (and more) of what you need to know to either create or expand your cryptogaphy toolkit. You can finally do away with having to search around to lookup detailed explanations on topics. It's a really practical size and is light enough and compact enough that it makes traveling a breeze.
The style of the writing in this book flows extremely well and is structured in a manner that allows you to link everything together such as historical algorithms, how they posed the problems and issues to evolve into symmetric cryptography, the details and primitives of symmetric cryptography, then the details and problems which asymmetric cryptography helps to solve. All of this then in addition detail to key management, digital certificates, MACs, hash functions, one-way trapdoors....everything is covered in a manner that is easily and rapidly understood.
This book helps me to keep everything structured and an essential addition to my work in the security field.

If your getting into cryptography or serious about information security - I highly recommend you purchase this book now!!!
Stop reading this and buy it :)

Any questions, feel free to ask.
on 28 September 2012
Even though I studied cryptography to MSc level at RHUL, I read something new in every section of the book. In my opinion this is an excellent text for both the security professional and information security student. I highly recommend the book for its clarity and practicality. Professor Martin has managed to explain cryptography to the non mathematician
on 28 March 2016
Outstanding book on cryptography which makes it really easy to understand. If I was going to pick on one minor issue, it would have been great if it had included something on elliptic curve cryptography. I would have loved to have that explained with the same degree of clarity!
on 16 August 2015
Absolutely amazing book, very detailed and well structured. This is an author who knows his subject and has the ability to pass on his knowledge in a clear and concise manner. I bought this book because I was working on a project for work using digital signatures and encryption and I wanted to know more about this so I could engage with software developers, it did the trick perfectly, in some cases I have more knowledge that the developers. I would highly recommend this book if you are a project manager or developer and need to know more about encryption.
on 6 February 2014
For those with a passing interest in cryptography but don't want to be bogged down in the boring technical aspects, then this book might be for you. It is a good and relatively concise introduction to the area of cryptography, covering the principles and applications of the subject rather than the technical side.
on 14 August 2013
I haven't studied Cryptography before but will be studying in my Master's course. I had to start studying and was recommended to study from this book. I am glad, I gave it a try. The book has proper description keeping in mind various level of students. It explains things in perfect way and people who do not know anything about cryptography also learn alot after studying from this book after all its written by Keith Martin (for me, he is father of cryptography)
on 17 December 2012
I have been searching for a good introduction book about Cryptography for a while until I put my hands on this one. With author's unique insight I embarked on a journey into the mystery world of Cryptography. What truly amazing about this book is that through author's lenses I am able to understand how Cryptography infiltrates the world we live in and real connection between the Cryptography and our daily lives without being bogged down with heavy mathematics background knowledge. The book does contain quite technical details on some topics but in very simple plain explanation just like "How stuff works". The most interesting feature about this book is that author sets the scene in our modern world and explains how Cryptography behind the scene works such as every time we withdraw cash from ATM. If you have the desire to explore deeper into it you can always find detailed mathematic explanations, references in Appendix. I highly recommend this book which is truly intellectually stimulating!
on 6 May 2013
This is, by far, the best introductory textbook I have found on Cryptography. The subject is covered comprehensively and is very clearly explained, containing both current examples and (as the title promises) key insights into the practical applications of cryptography. The author has the (rare) ability to convey the importance and the basic mechanics of cryptography without becoming trapped in the mathematical detail, which is the undoing of many other introductory books. The appreciation of the overall security environment into which cryptography is deployed is a real strength.
on 10 May 2012
A brilliantly comprehensive and yet very readable book. Invaluable for study of cryptography, with just enough detail to explain topics clearly without getting bogged down in the maths. Has replaced a number of books as my single 'bible' on the subject. Unreservedly recommended!
on 16 March 2014
Great Introduction but a lot of material, so it isn't a quick read. The book assumes almost no prior knowledge, as most things are explained from first principles but it always helps to be familiar with the lingo. I read this like a novel, from start to finish. I'm not a cryptography expert nor even studying it at university, I just did this in order to learn (self-teaching).

Fairly light on the mathematics but provides enough of the basics for an elementary understanding. I'm glad that the material covering Certificate Authority functions are not as prominent as in the Cryptography For Dummies book and it is good to see the protocols / algorithms for the main types of encryption too.

All the essential topics are covered and I'd say that the text is clearly written that anyone with a modicum of IT knowledge should be able to follow it. The content is not so esoteric nor complicated but does require some effort to get through it all.

The book starts with a historical overview (as many do) of how cryptography came about and why it is necessary. In section two the author describes cryptographic primitives and builds up the fundamentals of what is needed for a cryptographic tool kit: e.g. hash functions, public key cryptography, modes of operation, a/symmetric encryption, digital signatures and so on. Section three looks at key management while section four looks at applications.