Customer reviews

The Shunning (Blu-Ray)
Format: Blu-ray|Change
Price:£19.95+ £3.00 shipping

on 14 June 2017
This is a truly remarkable film based on a lovely story. The deleted scenes on my DVD show how some of the story had to be left out. Why oh why are the additional 2 films only available on Region 1 dvd's? I had to buy a special player to watch them!! It is a shame when forced cast changes happen in a trilogy and I was very upset to lose Danielle P as Katie - no disrespect meant to her successor. The first film - this one is stunning and reasonably complete in itself - I will now watch the next two on a new DVD player and will give Katie Leclerc a fair go to follow on from DP - I might review the later films when I have seen them - but this film is stunning and great family entertainment - thought provoking!!! AOKR.
on 2 June 2017
First movie in a fantastic trilogy,a must for everyone..
Entertaining from start to end,good acting from Danielle Pana acker.
on 9 June 2014
We are birthed into a unit with plans for us, yet we each need to make our choices in life, which affect us variously for good or not. We walk with this young woman as she struggles to fulfil herself, whilst trying to stay in good relationship within her family and community. A comforting story, encouraging us to do what's right from our own perspective.
on 9 July 2017
Brill
on 15 August 2013
i thought i would be able to purchase the following two episodes in this triology but it was never on offer so sad to not know the outcome of this saga it was a let down
on 13 November 2012
I enjoyed watching this DVD as it tells an interesting story and it more wholesome than most films these days. However, my enjoyment was spoiled by 2 main factors.

Firstly, the film ended abruptly. The story was not finished and I was very surprised when the credits started rolling as I expected a proper ending. The film is based on a series of books (which I have not read) so perhaps later books finish the story. Nevertheless, I think a film adaptation should have had a better ending or else combined all the novels in that series for the sake of completeness.

Secondly, as other reviewers have commented, several things about the film would not occur in Amish settings. This may not spoil the film for most people but I kept thinking, "they wouldn't actually do that".

In summary, the film is enjoyable if you do not mind the few liberties the film-makers take but the sudden ending is frustrating and reading the books seems necessary to find out how Katie's story concludes.
3 people found this helpful
on 7 July 2012
I think this movie looks really promising (hence why I bought it) but wow what a let down just really slow,the story just wasn't really told well, some cheesy acting etc... which is a pity as the potential was there for a good story. I was disappointed BUT if you want to see some of the best fake beard work look no further - It was so bad on some actors that it was all I could look at during the movie!!
on 30 October 2011
The Shunning. Best drama film I saw in a very long time. Great cast and great story. Hope more films like that will be made. I think film like that give others great hope in life. I hope you will enjoy this film. And I hope this film will awake your heart.
3 people found this helpful
on 12 November 2012
This is such an epic film! I read the book first - so it was a little bit of a let down (But, Hey, it always is right! No film maker can live up to everyone's expectations/imaginations!).

I love the author's (Beverly Lewis) work. She writes such heartwarming stories about the simple - yet sometimes very complicated - Amish way of life. It is a beautiful inspiring story about love, forgiveness, and faith, and is a perfect 'family film'.

The Shunning is the first book in the series 'Heritage of Lancaster County', and reading/watching this makes you want to read/see the next one. (And good news - the next film is coming out next year! I am so happy about that! :D)

If you want a simple, yet lovely film, then this is for you.

Beverly Lewis' the Shunning (Heritage of Lancaster County)
The Confession (The Heritage of Lancaster County #2)The Reckoning (The Heritage of Lancaster County #3)
5 people found this helpful