Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.49

on 14 January 2016
I only read a small part of this book and what I read did make sense. However, in hindsight it probably wasn't the best purchase I've ever made.

The problem is that when you have a baby when do you really get the chance to read a book? Especially a book of this size. If you do get the chance to read then you must be a parenting genius, in which case you won't need this book anyway, but it may be wise for you to write your own book in order to share the secrets of your success!

Basically what I learnt in a nutshell is don't expect your baby to sleep EVER. There is always going to be a reason for them not to sleep - teething, growth spurt, learning new skills blah blah blah! If anything it just makes you realise that sleep deprivation is something you have to learn to live with for a very long time!

Sometimes it does make you feel better to know that you're not the only one who's child doesn't sleep, so you may get reassurance from reading this book.

Perhaps dipping in and out of sections that are relevant to you would be a more realistic approach than reading the whole book - it's a big book and your child will probably be a teenager by the time you finish reading it. Unless you have childcare, but let's face it, you'll probably prefer to catch up on your sleep if you get some child-free time rather than read a book, especially a book which reminds you about how exhausted you are! Or you may prefer to have a nice hot fresh cup of tea which hasn't been reheated 5 times in the microwave. You could even drink the whole cup. Wouldn't that be a novelty!?

It made me feel better buying this book but to be honest it didn't really help anything. You'd be better off saving your money for coffee and energy drinks.
on 30 April 2016
This is the best baby book I have bought. It's so interesting and really helps you understand the mental and physical development of your baby. Suggestions on how to make the most of the new skills your baby develops is also really useful
on 7 May 2016
Lovely to have reasons why your baby is behaving a certain way. The first leap was like a revelation. Upon reading about it after a friend recommended Wonder Weeks, I held the symptoms part up to my husband and was like, "This explains it perfectly!" So reassuring that there is an explanation. Definitely makes it easier knowing it is just a phase and it won't last forever. Now my little boy is going through Leap 10, I feel quite nostalgic thinking about how much he has developed since a newborn. Time's a healer hey...xx
on 8 April 2015
Even if you don't believe in being able to understand week-to-week of your baby's progress, reading a chapter of this book once a month to coincide with your child's age is enough to make anyone feel calmer, reassured and even more loving and nurturing towards their baby. I struggled with breastfeeding at around 6 months and this book helped me to continue, and any times my daughter has been particularly unsettled or behaving unusually, I can usually refer to this book and find solace. It may at times feel like reading a horoscope (that it can relate to any child of any age and isn't quite specific enough), but I have always found it helped me to focus on what my daughter might be trying to learn, and be able to encourage her to do so.

At times, it just stopped me pulling my hair out when she was screaming at 4am, because it had at least more of an explanation for it than I did! I'd say this book has allowed me to understand my daughter better than I could have done had I not read it, as it brings a whole new perspective on what is going on in her world.
on 24 January 2016
I don't really rate this. A friend of mine raved about it but it's just a load of anecdotes and is very patronising in moments (actually tells you not to shake your baby?! Um... Obvious?? Haha) it encourages you to compare your child with others, which can be reassuring when they are acting up, but on the whole I think it's an unhealthy habit to encourage...
on 1 February 2016
I haven't had the chance to read all of the book yet.
It's perfect at helping you understand what your new born is going through and what to do to help them, it's a book that gets into your babies head. Highly recommended for all parents with new borns.
on 3 December 2010
This book gives an amazing insight into the development of babies and toddlers and has helped me to become a more understanding and as a result happier mum! I recommend it to all new parents!
on 25 January 2013
I lost interest in this fairly quickly. The parents endlessly quoted in the book seem to be very irritated by everything their children do (eg really annoyingly wanting picked up....'needily' wondering where you are going).

I have a 12 month old and he gets cross when he's tired, when he's teething, when he wants something he can't have, when he's over being in the car seat, when he's bored, when he's hungry, when he's sick, etc. How could you ever tell its a 'developmental leap' that is causing it? You can never seperate out the other factors (which I believe in some types of research are called the confounding variables....not this type of 'say what you see' research though).

Of course babies develop and become clingier as they understand more etc, and 'regress' when they are sick/ unhappy/ teething.... I just don't see why its a movement with a 'pay per view' website. I'm sure it was an interesting PhD/ post-doc to do and read (if you put his name in google scholar he started off the research looking at chimp behaviour....and then 'found' the same in baby humans) but this is not 'fact' its just an interesting 'interpretation' of behaviour he sees in front of him. Great for a break from nap and feeding chat but nothing much else for new mothers.

Anyway, my son doesn't get on my nerves as the babies in the book seem to their mothers....I find my sometimes cross, mostly happy, dreadful sleeper, very busy little boy to be mostly a facinating joy..... But i suppose if your baby makes you angry alot maybe this would be a good book....I suppose a good 'take home' message from it could be 'your baby is not doing it (crying, following you etc)out of badness/ to make you angry'....? Its good for that I suppose
on 4 June 2011
I bought this book on a recommendation and based on other readers' reviews. However, I sent it back after reading a couple of chapters as I did not agree with the writers' style of parenting. They assume babies are out to cause mischief or problems for their parents, rather than babies just being their naturally inquisitive and dependent selves. If you believe in the value of your baby's cry or other 'problematic' behaviour (and don't want to read about how to get your baby to 'conform'), this isn't the book for you.
A shame - I was expecting useful information about the developmental milestones (which it does address but almost as a side issue) but ended up getting annoyed with the writers instead.
on 12 March 2015
I'm only half way through (reading it as my daughter reaches each leap) but I am finding this book really helpful. I think it's a shame that you can't get the app for free if you have purchased the book though, since the app is just an extension and really not worth the money if you have already paid out for the book itself.