Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Learn more Fitbit

on 14 February 2015
This was an easy and enjoyable read but it didn't grab me. I would never chose to read about smugglers or pirates and think this was one element that was the reason for my rating.
The time travel element was the major pull for me when selecting this book and while I enjoyed the portrayal of some elements of life in the 18th century I always felt that were was something missing. It could be that all parties involved accepted it too easy or that there is no real explanation of why Eva, why that time? I really like the way the house and location and how it had changed over the centuries was described.
I could not connect with Eva or Daniel and thought that their bond formed too quickly and too easily considering their interactions were limited and they came from very different times with different morals, standards, dress codes etc. Maybe it proved that love can overcome anything but I thought it a bit of a stretch.
Fergal was my favourite character.
I didn't see the twist coming at the end and had to re-read it several times to make sure. It added a complexity to the story that I feel had been lacking throughout the story.
I think Susanna Kearsley did write very well but I struggled to connect with the characters and plot with this particulate book. I've read a lot of review recommending other Kearsley reads so I'm going to give one of them a try.
on 4 May 2015
I have not persevered with this story as I have not been able to engage with any of the characters. Even two or three chapters into the book, the direction of the plot is not really defined. It can't make up its mind whether it wants to be a supernatural tale or a story about the establishment of a co-operative family business. I think it is trying to appeal to too wide an audience, therefore not targeting anyone.
VINE VOICEon 18 October 2011
I love Susannah's books and this one does not disappoint! The genre of time travel is handled here with deft expertise. When one 'fades' into another era, what happens to one's clothing? You will find out in this book!

The Cornish setting (based on Polperro) is delightful, and the characters are lively, too. I did get a bit confused about Mark, Susan and Claire, but they are not that important. The characters you need to know about are Daniel and Fergal, both of whom you will come to love as the book moves back and forth between the centuries.

All the way through this one, I was wondering, "How can it end? What will the twist be?" (Susannah loves a twist near the end...)

I did clock the clues throughout the book which arrowed the possibilities, but the ending still took me by surprise and did not fail to delight. Fabulous writing. The only reason I have not given it 5 stars was that I found the character of Constable Creed overdrawn and laboured over for too long in the narrative. I also found the shipboard section a bit dreary.

I loved the moments of 'transfer' which always took me by surprise! If you are a fan of time travel novels, you will adore this one!
I was so thrilled to find this one available on Kindle ahead of book release! If you're a lover of Barbara Erskine or Rachel Hore you're going to love this one too. A really well told story, slipping deftly between 18th century Cornwall, pirates and the Jacobite rebellion and a modern story of loss and love, this story entranced me from the beginning to its absolutely perfect ending. It takes a very skilful writer to handle a time-slip story like this without it seeming silly - disappearing from modern life and living in the past - but Susanna Kearsley is a mistress of her art and I absolutely loved every moment of it. Escapist bliss at its very best.
on 1 August 2011
The third one I have read of Miss Kearsley's and although the other two were excellent, I think I enjoyed this one the most. Maybe it is because I am used to her style of writing now.

However, I was not prepared for the ending of this one!! Definitely quite complex in its unravelling and very thought provoking. I am still a little perplexed by it.

A definite "buy" if you have enjoyed her others, and an even more definite "buy" if you have never read any others!!!
Yes I loved this book it has all the things I like in a book , the history , the time travel , the romance with the sexy hero.What is there not to like. I read it on a very wet holiday in cornwall and loved every minute of it as Cornwall is where it is set.The plot is easy to follow but does have a twist at the end which is fantastic. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.
on 5 January 2015
I bought this as a Daily Deal because it was on offer. Glad I did as it is the first Susanna Kearsley novel I have read. I will read more. I really enjoyed it. Easy to read, nice way of writing and a good storyline.
on 12 May 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A magical tale, which made you think that anything might be possible, yet seemed realistic enough to be plausible. A good twist at the end.
on 4 July 2015
This is one of the few books that has completely captured my whole attention for a long time. It is exciting, romantic and poignent and stays with you long after completing it.
on 28 December 2014
Fascinating and enchanting story, beautifully written. While not my usual choice of book I was engrossed from start to finish.