on 3 August 2014
Shimano again, does the job with Shimano quality, but you might consider a KMC chain which has the "missin link" i personally use KMC chains because of this feature and they have not let me down in thousands of miles of cycling.
Overall back to the Shimano chain yeah good quality finish for the price but you need a chain pin extractor to fit or shorten the chain, but you will need this to do shorten any chain.
I would recommend this chain alongside a KMC chain depending on price, the choice will be yours.
on 17 March 2014
Excellent value and appears good quality. Easy to rejoin with the right tool.(Almost impossible otherwise). I believe some joining rivets have a break off bullet end to ease insertion. Inserting this rivet takes a little bit of 'feel' to insert it far enough but not too far. The pressure on the insertion tool can be felt to ease off just as it passes through the last link.
on 14 July 2013
This appears to be a good general purpose replacement bike chain, as supplied mine consisted of 116 links plus a Quick Link which was slightly bent and even after straightening defeated all of my attempts to clip it into position, but I joined the chain in the standard fashion using my own chain tool. I hadn't realised how badly worn my old chain was - at 114 links it seems longer than the new one, it must have stretched!! The slippage that made my bike all but unrideable has vanished and the bike feels (almost) like new again.
on 13 May 2016
on 9 February 2014
It's a a Shimano chain, personally wouldn't have it any other way. It works a treat on my MTB 3x7 Shimano cogs. It will see you fine for normal day to day use, it will probably be lacking if your mission in life is to ascend and descend Mount Everest, but your not doing that are you? That's why your looking at this reasonably priced product to get you to and from work and a little weekend freelancing for Bradley Wiggins along the canal towpath.
on 1 July 2015
I have just upgraded to a Hyperglide Cassette 8 cogs .So an HG40 chain was entirely appropriate. You can see the double mesh if you stand at the rear and someone cranks and changes as slowly as possible . If you DIY you will see the smooth change from the "front" . I experimented with the old flat profile chain and it seized across two cogs which proved that the cogs profiling actually works . What happens is that the chain starts to mesh with the new cog before it leaves the old cog. This reduces jumping and therefore a much smoother gear change .If you are on cog 1 and have the 34T Super-up-the-mountain-side version you will feel a slight pop down to cog 2 as there is a greater distance between those two cogs from the others in the set .For maximum smoothness go for a set with the lower teeth set . I went for the 34T as my little legs just love pedaling uphill
without having to stand up . !!
on 10 May 2013
Son's bike had an issue with the chain slipping and seemed to be down to the odd link being kinked. Put this on and it solved the issue.
The chain did need a couple of links taking out, but was easy enough fit. For a top tip, if you're doing this yourself, get a half-decent link splitter. Overall, a good value chain, especially when the local cycle shop wanted £12 for a chain and £12 to fit.
Perfect replacement for my hybrid that had been badly neglected, and the chain had rusted nearly solid. Used a chain tool to remove the old one, and with a bit of effort put the new one on and it appears to work fine. Taken it out on a 10 mile journey to test it and it worked perfectly.
on 15 March 2016
I was disappointed with this product. after only a few uses it started to rust and become stiff even after the application of several different oils and sprays which are supposed to keep things running smoothly.. Iv now consigned the product to the recycling bin and have brought another product that so far shows no sign of rusting or stiffing after many more uses.
on 30 April 2015
For the price this is a good quality chain, it is easy to shorten and fit with a link remover. I have used my MTB for about a month on and off road, no problems at all. I am aggressive on a bike and this chain will not be beaten....