on 19 July 2012
The Doctor likes playing chess. But, how he's alone in the TARDIS, challenging himself to the occasional match is starting to get a little stilted. Time to find an opponent... Landing in the Outer Hebrides in the 12th century, our favourite Time Lord discovers much more than he bargained for - including rampaging vikings, a furious princess on her way to an arranged marriage, local villagers eating pre-cooked turtles, a backstory for the Lewis Chessmen, and an alien life-form which lives, breeds and kills through fire. This isn't going to be the quick stop-off the Doctor first imagined.

JT Colgan (in reality, top romantic comedy author, Jenny Colgan) has written what is one of the most exciting 11th Doctor adventures to date (and I told her so last night, via Twitter!) In Dark Horizons, she captures Matt Smith's portrayal of the Doctor perfectly, introduces us to some wonderful new characters (Henrik being a particular favourite), and even allows us a glimpse (from a distance) of a holidaying 4th Doctor, Sarah Jane and K9! Add to that quite possibly the most exciting TARDIS sequence you'll ever read (I won't say where it takes place - spoilers, and all that) and you've got a timey-wimey historical romp that will keep you gripped, page after page.

Very highly recommended!
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 3 February 2016
Quite dark in places for D W (I'm a firm believer that it should be a kids show first and foremost - hence 4 stars), but a good story.

Really beautiful reading by 'Madame Vastra' (if you like stories read by cast members, I also recommend; "Hunter's Moon", "Devil In The Smoke" and "Angel's Kiss"). Neve McIntosh's voice almost reminds me of Harriet Walter, in its tunefulness and youth.

But if you like a good yarn, do give it a whirl - I reckon you'll like it. Recommended.
on 12 July 2012
Jenny Colgan captures the voice of Matt Smith perfectly, with his scatty nature carried across so well. The surrounding cast of characters are well-rounded and each has their own story that reach natural conclusions. Much like the show, the story rockets along, with a credible threat that (minor SPOILER) is initially viewed as magic, but is actually science, much like the classic series.
I look forward to the possibility that Jenny will be invited back to write for the book series again.
on 9 September 2017
The 11th doctor on is own in a viking adventure. A very good read, I find myself that the 11th doctor comes across better in print than he does on screen.
on 29 November 2013
Brilliant storyline. Great fun to read. It was very hard to put down once I had started reading but then Dr Who has never failed to thrill & delight me.
Thank You.
One person found this helpful
on 4 June 2015
Very good read enjoyed this book immensely
on 18 April 2013
i love it i was drawn into the book and i could not put it down i wanted to read the story to find out what the doctor was going to end
on 28 November 2013
I loved it. Great characters, nice plot and a real worthiness to the doctor's struggle.

It's a while since I've read a Doctor Who book, but this is one of my favourites.
on 13 August 2014
a Jenny Colgan book, what's not to love?
on 20 October 2014
a must read for any one who loves drwho