on 15 October 2013
This book is a great read; an excellent way of absorbing and understanding the history of this extraordinary time. It has whetted my appetite for more information on this period. It was a book I found hard to put down. By reading history in the form of a novel, the characters are given personalities although, of course, these are interpretations by the author, but as extensive research has obviously been undertaken, they probably aren't far off the mark.

I also enjoyed the different locations as I know Middleham quite well, and have seen what remains of Raglan Castle.

A wonderful book which I highly recommend. Thank you, Alison Weir!
on 12 September 2013
I love historical fiction so was looking forward to this with relish. Unfortunately, it dragged on and on, without much interesting happening for what seemed like forever. I can normally get through a book within a day or so when it holds my interest, however I found that three weeks had gone by and I still wasn't half way through it. In the end I had to push myself to power through it just so I could move onto something more captivating.

I've read quite a few of Alison Weir's books in the past, and really enjoyed them, but this was definitely my least favourite.
on 27 October 2013
Gave a very fresh slant to an interesting period of history. The story of the two heroines, Katherine Grey ( sister of Jane Grey) and Kate Plantagenet ( daughter of Richard 111 ) run parallel to each other. Alison Weir cleverly weaves the two tales based on historical fact . I enjoyed finding out about the lives of two lesser known historical figures and how their lives were influenced by the giants in history namely Richard 111, Henry V11 and Elizabeth 1. For fans of Phillipa Gregory or those interested in the Tudors and Plantaganets this is a very interesting read.
on 23 August 2013
Having read many of Alison Weirs fiction and non fiction books., I was exited to read something new, especially about Katherine Grey. She is a facinating character with an amazing story that would be hard to make up, especially considering the tragic story of her sister, Lady Jane Grey. I knew nothing of Katherine Plantegenet so was keen to learn more. Well unfortuntely I didn,t, I can,t see the connection of the two women at all. I would have much preferred two separate stories than one made up of two that seem pointless and confusing when put together. Sorry to say it but was the brilliant Alison Weir having an off day? This was awful!!
on 3 March 2017
Long and involved, a confusing read, but for fans of historical fiction it's brilliant
2 people found this helpful
on 18 February 2014
I enjoyed this book, however I did buy it thinking that it would have a lot more to do with the Tower of London and the captivity of these two ladies as stated on blurb. It touched on it towards the end of the book, but not enough for my liking.
The link between Kate and Katherine was too sparse, I wanted Katherine Grey to find out more about Kate's past rather than the princes in the tower.
But despite all that, I found it an easy read with lots of historical accuracies around their marriages and general life events. I liked that I got to read about two new people I didn't know about in history, being an avid historical fiction reader I was interested in learning about two new noble women.
on 27 January 2018
Interesting subjects, the mystery surrounded the Princes in the Tower, but too much repeats of the same ideas and thoughts, no new ideas or options, expected it to be better.
on 24 September 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Alison Weir certainly knows how to create tension and really make you feel like you are there in the room with the characters. If you like this book you'll also love Innocent Traitor (about Jane Grey) and Elizabeth, The Queen. I'd read these previously and now keen to read them again as they do cross over and help to give further substance to what went on in England at that time.
One person found this helpful
on 5 November 2014
I'm still getting through this novel as it's not particularly gripping. Also, I as it is obviously mostly fiction (other than the names and titles of the characters), it's not interesting me much. It's full of usual romantic fluff - the two main characters running around in love with men we just don't care about enough. I've certainly not been inspired.
on 23 May 2014
I like Alison Weir's novels on the whole and have not been disappointed by this one. However, I am finding it quite difficult to chop and change between the two story lines although I can see that Ms Weir is trying to tie up certain hypotheses. This gives the book a different slant and her writing as usual is polished and engaging.