on 16 December 2009
Bought this as a stocking fller present for a friend who does cake decorating. Even if you are not so handy with the icing you'd find something to giggle at in here. The book is based on a website blog of the same name. It is packed with colour pictures as well as tales of cake related kitchen mishaps. The wonder is that someone paid for these cake disasters. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is the layout is a bit odd but the laughs help you get over that minor problem.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 September 2015
I read this book on a wet bank holiday afternoon and it gave me a couple of hours of entertainment. There are some bad cakes out there. It would make a good gift for a Great British Bake Off fan whose efforts to emulate what they see on screen aren’t always successful. As you’d expect of a book which grew out of a blog and which relies on pictures it’s not a long read but it does amuse.
on 26 July 2015
It's an unusual subject for a book, but someone somewhere has perceived a gap in the marketplace! Some of these "cakes that Mr Kipling forgot" are due to misunderstandings, (like the one on the cover) and some are down to a total lack of talent and proportion; But all of them have a kind of "schadenfreude" element where you're glad they weren't something YOU ordered!
on 2 February 2010
This has proved a popular gift. My 83 year old mother-in-law was in near hysterics after reading it. As was my 40 year old sister-in-law. The original Cake Wrecks website is highly recommended for a daily dose of hilarity.
on 1 February 2010
I bought this for myself and only got about a third of the way through before having to give up, suffering from severe belly and face ache from laughing so much, not to mention the tears streaming down my face.

I took it along to our family Christmas, and we all took great pleasure in teasing whichever member of the family had the book at the time, as they would be sitting there, red faced and paralysed with laughter.

I defy anyone not to enjoy this!
on 11 February 2014
If you appreciate irony, like misspelt road signs or adverts, this is the book for you. A friend showed me her copy and I just had to buy one for another friend who I know shared the same sense of humour.

May not suit everyone's sense of humour, or someone who is very literal, but good coffee table book or ice breaker for most.
on 14 February 2011
I took this book to work and we had a lot of laughs! Don't worry if there are particular cakes that you don't find funny at the first sight because it all becomes really funny when you actually read the descriptions too. Some stories are unbelievable.

Great book and I think it doesn't matter if you like baking, it's just a good laugh!
There is a chapter on sex related mishaps (like penis-shaped cakes gone wrong, breasts-shaped cakes etc.) so you might want to be careful with showing the book to children.
on 6 June 2011
After seeing this book featured on the Graham Norton Show a few months back I thought I'd give it a go and buy it. I was not disappointed. It is great for a quick laugh and I cannot believe some of the pictures in there - are people really that silly & take things so literally.....yes!!!! : )
VINE VOICEon 30 August 2011
As an amateur baker, I am gobsmacked at the wonderously awful creations that Cake Wrecks celebrates.

I first encountered them on their blog (which is well worth seeking out) and then was given this book as a gift - a very welcome one.

How anyone can claim to be a professional cake decorator if they produce the sort of horrors that are seen in this book. There is part of me that thinks that people are now producing bad cakes just so they can be featured!

It is a fun gift for anyone you know who makes their own cakes - it can only make them feel better!
on 12 March 2014
I have bought this for several family members and friends. A fab book to dip in to when you need a chuckle. The book is hardback and very substantial with lots of pictures. The descriptions by the author are very amusing too. Would recommend to anyone!