Format: DVD|Change

on 24 December 2012
I lived in Turkey for almost 9 years and saw this with a friend who lived in Turkey for 3 years. We laughed a lot; enjoyed it immensely.
I imagine many Turks or anyone with experience of living (in contrast to holidaying) in Turkey would probably get a lot out of it.

The director uses the device of getting you to feel what the characters are feeling (ie increasing frustration and boredom) on what feels like a never ending endless night of repetitious, mostly fruitless searching. This is peppered with breathtakingly gorgeous visuals, hilarious exchanges, actions and ommissions plus many dark observations.

From what I have heard of others' opinions, it seems people either love it or hate this film. I think the latter probably don't "get" it - either the cinematic device or the observations of the chaos which is so recognisable to the initiated.

As to what people who do not know Turkey at all make of it, I do not know. One person walked out of the packed cinema (who knows why - could have been anything) but there was a LOT of laughter from the audience. Some Turkish friends found it very funny.
on 19 August 2012
Most of the reviews on here already state that this film is slow going, a "long haul" but also intimate that your perseverance is rewarded. Unfortunately I didn't find that to be the case. Granted, the cinematography is beautiful but that simply wasn't enough to save me from 137 of the most tiring, yawn inducing minutes of my existence.

I can't emphasize how many scenes there are in this film that solely consist of characters wistfully staring out of windows for minutes at a time (with no dialogue or sound besides background noise). Yes Director, I can see that you're trying to show us that the character is contemplative, and weighted by the unfolding events......but do we really need to look at him for 3 minutes straight? Likewise, there are scenes of cars driving along a curved road through a valley and -you guessed it- we have to watch them drive. The whole way.

As others have mentioned, the actual plot is almost an afterthought. The film instead focuses on the characters, but you are given such scant information that it is difficult to formulate any sort of attachment or interest to any of them. The idea seems to be that the less you reveal, the more intriguing the characters become, but I found all of them to be little more than caricatures.

Oh and that deep and profound ending isn't really worth the wait. Please save your time.
on 17 November 2013
This film got an excellent review from the BBC, and also a 7.6 from the imdb. It drags on and on.... I am a fan of art house films, but this just does nothing for me, it gets two stars because the cinematography is very good, but the story is slow and boring.
on 2 October 2013
I liked this movie as it makes on think about ones own priorities and directions in life.

The characters revolve around each other with interweaving moments and reflections. I found myself thinking about where my priorities lie and where I am heading in life.

I also enjoy the reality depicted in the movie... it just starts and ends quite abruptly as if to say... this is a snippet of a tale in the evolution of some peoples lives... there is no ending... just a continuation... except for the deceased that is!
on 10 October 2013
I guess, it's quite authentic "turkish" considering bureaucracy / authorities, peoples relations to each other etc.; but didn't quite meet my expectations among others from what the dvd cover "promised".
on 31 December 2012
I am not one for action movies but love thoughtful foreign films; however, I am shocked by the positive comments that this turgid film received. If like me you are taken in by the Guardian/Observer reviews you will watch a group of men walk around fields in the dark. Perhaps it could have been worse if they had filmed it in slow motion?

Oh I almost forgot - there is one scene when an apple drops from a tree and the camera follows the apple going downhill into a stream.
on 13 March 2013
This is a film where the camera work and visuals contribute as much to the experience as the actors or the filmscript. It is probably better to be seen in the Cinema as a result. The 'blurb' which comes with the DVD gives a good enough summary, but the film is difficult to categorise. 'Grapes of Wrath' may be in similar vein, but this film has the advantage of 21st Century film technology.
on 26 December 2014
Really long and boring. Was waiting for some breakthrough, some really exciting ending. Nothing of that sort happened. Wasted 2 hours and 40 minutes of my life.
on 22 March 2013
Quickly fell into a catatonic strance and was not raised from the dead until just before the end when my cat demanded some food, if you like pondering on why a canvas painted blue is called 'Blue' this may be for you.
on 23 January 2015
Agree with comments beautiful film misleading reviews a slow paced beautifully shot and observed film. A real insight into the contrast between urban and rural life in the Middle East .