Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now New Album - Depeche Mode Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 1 May 2012
So I have read it in less than a day, which implies that there is at least some galvinising prompt to keep turning the pages - However, I am left feeling strangely unsatisfied.

It is as if I have bought myself a family sized aero and because I left it out in the sun it has melted to half it's size, frankly a bit of a disappointment.

The frustrating part is that the premise was there for a really strong mystery, but the conclusion felt forced and inadequate, a means in which to reach book 13.

There are some fantastic premises, but sadly I feel that the characters we have grown to love simply "phoned in" their parts in the story. There was very little Eric, not much Bill, a fleeting Sam and a literal phone call from Quinn. Sookie was more homespun than usual and although it echoes the original incarnation of the character, her growth seems thwarted.

This is the first book in which I have felt let down. It is not 'bad' in comparison to some vamp lit, it's just not as good as usual. I'm viewing this as the " tie up" book so that the final can be explosive, all encompassing and a fitting finale... Please Ms Harris?
44 Comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2012
I excitedly pre-ordered the 12th Sookie Stackhouse and couldn't wait to recieve it, and I finished it on the same day as I was so eager to see what happened to Sookie and her collection of friends and lovers!

I wasn't disappointed although you could tell there was a lot of wrapping up of more minor characters that appear in the stories, but aren't overly signifcant, ready for what I now know to be the last book. This book does flit between the differing Supe groups and it focuses on Sookie and her inner turmoil particularly being pushed and pulled between them all, lost loves and her future happiness - although as normal there is a mystery to solve.

I wish that somewhere before I had read this that it had mentioned that there had been the short story small town wedding as I didn't realise this and I will now have to go back and read this to understanding some of the back story for the odd comments about Quinn and Sam and Jannalynn, which I have also had to do in the past with the other short stories having been a late comer to the Sookie Stackhouse Series.

Otherwise a great book perhaps not as strong as other books in the series as it obviously is building for the finale but you can guarantee that it won't be disappointing - can't wait!
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 May 2012
I have become engrossed in this series of books a have read the 11 previous books in the last 3 weeks conveniently timed for the release of the 12th book, which after the conclusion of the 11th book I was excitedly, eagerly awaiting.

I read this in around 6 hours all told, so it certainly kept me turning the page, and while part of that was due to the good storytelling, part of it was also because I wanted to get to the part of the story which I was waiting to progress, namely Sookie & Eric's relationship, but I have to admit that though he is mentioned earlier Eric does not make his first apperance in the book until approx 67 pages in to the book, which I found a bit disappointing.

Call me an old romantic but I've been wanting and wishing for a happy ending for Sookie & Eric and I was hoping that their relationship would be explored a lot in this book, but it's not. I hate to say it but there is lot more character background, description and (I'm sorry) waffling then there is mention of their relationship and although I know that is only one part/element of the story, that is the part that I personally wanted to know more about, be revealed, concluded, but once again this part of the story is left hanging in the balance to be revealed/concluded in the next book (which I have to wait a year for! :-( )

A few other storylines are finalised in this book, which did make up for my disappointment in other areas a bit, but there was also a lot of what I considered filler, things that could have been left out and not made a difference to the story.

I did enjoy this book, and it certainly left me wanting for the next book (if only to find out how Sookie & Eric's relationship actually turns out!) but if I'm honest it wasn't my favourite and it was a bit disappointing compared to others in the series.
on 2 May 2012
I have to agree with some of these reviews written here. I too read this book over two days and at the end it just left me feeling a bit disappointed. There was a lot of Sookie's foundering around on her own, a lot of pointless conversations and a really predictable plot line. This book just felt like a filler before the Grand Finale.

There was no depth around Sookie's relationships (and not that there is a whole lot of it in the whole series but even so...) and there were a lot of very predictable situations... at some points I guessed what was going to happen before the 2 page description of Sookie mentally coming to the same conclusion. The whole element of surprise and mystery was sadly lacking in this book. There was also A LOT of characters (along with a paragraph of history back filling, which means nothing to you if you haven't read the book previously and too much if you have) and I was struggling to stay connected to all of them.

Nevertheless I always enjoy the plots in these books and the the mystery story telling is great to follow. The best bit was the last 10% (Kindle terms) where there was a bit of action and finally something happened which meant I didn't feel completely disappointed. I will buy the next book - just for completeness and pray that Ms Harris really finishes it off with a "bang" and explains all the unexplained.
on 2 May 2012
Although the writing felt a lot tighter than the last few books, there seems to be no sparkle left in the world of Sookie Stackhouse. It felt like the book had only been written because it had to be, not because the author enjoyed writing it.

The book feels like it has been set up for the next book to finish on a predictable ending for Sookie to find her happy ever after.

I think I have always had the problem that I have always been waiting for something BIG to happen in the novels, but after reading book after book it just hasn't happened.

I will buy the next one, but just out of fondness, nothing else.
on 8 May 2012
Like many other reviewers, I was eagerly awaiting this book after reading all 11 other books. The last book (book 11 and to some extent book 10 too) didn't do it for me, they felt very much like a filler books so I had high hopes for this with the series being near to it's end. I was left a bit disappointed throughout the whole book really. There was an awful lot of waffle in the book, perhaps just to bump up the word count, but there were whole paragraphs that could have been taken out without any real detriment to the book.
It was very disappointing to see very little of Eric, Bill or Pam. Those charachters make for great reading, but instead we were left listening to Sookie think aloud and come to conclusions that we as the reader had already come to several paragraphs before.

I'm sad to say that I think this series should have ended a few books ago. The author seems to have gotten bored of the charachters and has run out of any decent ideas. She seems to be firing these books out without much thought to just get her paycheque and fulfil her contract. The plot lines and charachters are becoming so long winded (for example how sookie is related to all those damn fairies) that it's hard to keep up with what is actually happening (which isn't an awful lot!).

I'd have like to have seen something more concrete come of the sookie/eric relationship too. The book started with her feeling a bit down about their relationship and the threat of him having to marry Freyda hanging over their heads, and it ended the exact same way!! Very little progress made in this book, which I feel was yet another filler/tie up loose ends book.

I will certainly buy the last book as I am so fond of these charachters and the series in general, and I have invested my time and money in these books so I want to see how it all ends. But I think if I have the time I need to go back and read books 1-10 to try and remember why I loved these books so much to start with, because after deadlocked I can't really see why now!!
on 6 May 2012
First off let me say I love the sookie stackhouse series, my friend got me into it and I bought the collection of books and read it in a week. They were impossible to put down and completely absorbed me into their world, fabulous writing. I felt with the last book a little sad at the end because of sookie's situation and it just made me desperate for the next installments, however after reading this book I was left totally gutted and no further forward than I was initially. I found the writer lost her way, it was a pointless book - I get leaving the Eric relationship unconcluded but he was actually barely in it! As for the claude, dermot, Niall story didn't really see the point in spending so much time in it. The inclusion of Freyda I thought there would be more- I'm guessing it's an attempt to set it up for the last book.

When I think back to previous books she always left something unresolved at the end, but the majority of lose ends we're tied up - this time I don't feel I moved very far at all, I felt like I paid a lot of money for a roller coaster ride and ended up on the tea cups. However with all my moaning I will by the next book!

Although this is negative review if you haven't read any of the previous books, do it because they are amazing! I guess she out did herself before and it's hard to keep up the pace.
This is the 12th, and penultimate, book in the Sookie Stackhouse series so this review may contain spoilers for previous books.

"And I suppose, as usual, Bill will want to express his undying love that surpasses my love, as he'll tell you - and Pam will want to say something sarcastic and nearly painful, while reminding you that she loves you, too."

For those of you worried that the Sookie series had fizzled out before its finale, fear not, it has got back on track with Deadlocked. They started out as mysteries with a supernatural element and poor Sookie would always end up at the centre of a very big mess. So it's good to see it returning to that formula. This time, a woman is murdered on Eric's lawn during an unwanted house party. Her blood had traces of fairy in it and it would seem someone was trying to frame Eric or at least make Sookie mad.

For me, reading the Sookie books is like revisiting old friends. The series is coming to a close and it's nice to see the minor characters getting their lives sorted, even if Sookie is still as confused as ever. There are lots of lovely little every day things going on on Bon Temps amongst the supernatural chaos.

The cluviel dor gets mentioned a bit too much, whether or not she could keep it with her, whether she should use it and what for. In Dead Reckoning, it was revealed that it will grant one wish in the name of love and that point is hammered home repeatedly. Yes, it's first person narrative, and it was playing on Sookie's mind but her thoughts were a little repetitive and made it a little bit obvious that something was going to happen with it.

Eric's gone back to being his uncommunicative self and Sookie is frustrated. Knowing why the victim was at the party might help her understand what's going on in her boyfriend's head. We don't get to see a whole lot of Eric in this story, which may disappoint some fans, but it sets the scene for the final instalment which will be much anticipated.
on 6 May 2012
I've been a fan of the Sookie Stackhouse books for years and always look forward to the release of a new one HOWEVER I'm sad to say this book was a huge disappointment!
This book to me didn't really have a plot... it seemed to be a 'filler' where the writer just tied up loose ends and tried to correct all the mistakes or inconsistency she had made in previous books... also all the reminders and recaps took up half of the book!
It seems to me Charlaine Harris has lost the passion of writing these books and is just churning them out to meet deadlines and (i hate to say it) cash in on the explosive success of the TV series.
I've heard rumors that the next will be her last Sookie Stackhouse book , if this is the case i really hope they go out with a bang instead of just a fizzle as recent books have turned out to be.
on 16 May 2012
This book seemed really brief, I read it in a day. If it were not for my attachment to the characters in this series I wouldn't have finished this book. Mrs. Harris's writing seems to have been spinning wheels for a few novels now and this was a disappointment this close to the end of it all. It was as if she was contracted to do 13 books and 8 or 9 into it went oh crap what do I do now? Sookie's full novel pity party left me beginning to dislike her and the ending was far from a surprise. Foreshadowing doesn't generally imply wave a blinking sign at your readers. Deadlocked begins to tie up the ends of peoples lives but in such a boring average way you aren't sad to see them go. I am really hoping the final book goes off with a bang not a whimper as it would be a regrettable end to what was initially a well crafted world with dynamic characters. If you have gotten this far in the series you know you are going to stick it out to the end just to see what happens but Deadlocked felt like a waste to me.