Customer reviews

From The Ground Up
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 April 2013
The Jericho track stood out from a sampler of new music issued by a national music magazine and led me to seek out other tracks on the album. After being pleasantly surprised with the quality of each and every one I managed to track down, I bought the album. As other reviewers have said John Fullbright is a major talent and the album showcases his strong song writing abilities together with his complimentary musical skills on guitar, keyboards and harmonica. He has a strong, powerful, controlled voice and puts heart and soul into each track. There is also variety aplenty - the fantastic Gawd above and Jericho topping the rockier side for me. Similarly of the more restrained numbers Nowhere to be found and I only pray at night are particular favourites. Fatman is altogether different a piano based 'honky tonk' effort. There is also a dip into country with Me wanting you but generally everything he touches seems to turn to gold. Saw him perform live last night where he performed the bulk of this album and enjoyed one of the best barnstorming performances I can remember for some time. Certainly judging by the rapturous reception he received I was not alone. Apparently he is appearing on Jools Holland tonight and I confidently expect more converts to result from his exposure to a wider audience. So Amazon maybe you should increase your stocks of the album!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 November 2013
I discovered "From The Ground Up" from one of those Amazon recommendations and, one I opened the product page up, was immediately struck by the amount of enthusiastic five star reviews for this Oklahoma born and based guy that I've never heard of before. Once I'd had it delivered and played it once, I was immediately able to see why so many people loved this album; it's magnificent and a quite remarkable set of songs for both a studio début and someone in their early twenties. On the whole, it's an accomplished piece of Americana, with equal fine attention to detail paid to music, lyrics and delivery. There are echoes of many great names - The Band, Tom Waits, Dylan - it doesn't do either Fullbright or the artists mentioned any disservice to make the comparison between him and those American greats. In fact, just a couple of albums more of music of this quality and he could start being mentioned in the same breath as those legends of American music.

My favourites are plentiful, the gorgeous, soulful "Jericho" swoops and soars, "I Only Pray At Night" is a beautiful piano and vocals ballad, "Nowhere To Be Found" has the same qualities as a poignant Ron Sexsmith composition and "Me Wanting You" is a slow, heartfelt, longing piece which has the hallmarks of a classic American song, the type Elvis would have covered and took to the top of the charts. "Forgotten Flowers" is a country-tinged beauty whereas "Song For A Child" is a simple ballad which, thanks to the delivery, manages to keep slightly mawkish lyrics feel genuine. I have to say that I prefer the more gentle songs on the album, when Fullbright's voice is stoked full of heartache and regret, they definitely play to his strengths, but the rest of the material is also rather successful too. This is an album full of passion and a huge amount of promise; I have a feeling that we've yet to see the best from him, too.
on 28 March 2014
From the brilliant opening Gawd Above this collection hits you with some steaming harp and guitar, but as a multi-instrumentalist he meanders through some contrasting styles on the rest of it. Always good musicianship with interesting lyrics, there's laid back Okie (Moving), surreal (Fat Man), reflective (Me wanting you) and even pure pop (Daydreamer). That one is my least favourite track despite being perfectly done, as it doesn't sit easy amongst the other tracks.

I've played this CD more than anything else since getting it, and am looking forward to the new one coming soon. He's the only person I've ever seen playing boogie-woogie piano and blues harp simultaneously (YouTube), I'm SOOO pissed off that he's visiting the UK this year when I'm travelling....
on 11 October 2013
Only joshing, Love TW, but this Young Man (26), is just SO worth championing. Over here in the UK, the Great DJ Bob Harris has been playing him on his radio shows, and we were lucky enough to see John in Bristol recently - what a treat/joy! Smallgig, one man show, but such a lovely performance - switching between guitar/piano - Lovely. Audience captivated 100% throughout. This album rocks up the solo show naturally with the band sound, BUT, the quality of songcraft and voice shines throughout. Proper "STORYTELLER" like Waits/ Petty/Springsteen etc. Go on, give him a go eh............
on 16 March 2013
It is not often that one comes across a young American singer/song writer that in his remarkable songs displays so many influences yet retains such individuality. At any one time one can hear echoes of the Everley Brothers, Tom Waits, Jim White, Bob Dylan and Neil Young with a production to match Area Code 615's brilliant albums. The album 'from the ground up' is a veritable history of modern US music as well as being a remarkable contribution to their great country/rock music, at one and the same eclectic and original. Congratulations Mr Fullbright.
on 15 May 2013
Heard John F being interviewed on the radio by Bob Harris whist driving home. I immediately got onto to Amazon to buy.
Never heard of him until now and I will be looking for UK tour dates to be first in line for a ticket!
Fantastically produced album which is rhythmically and vocally harmonious.
There are a couple of tracks with spine tingling and joyful sounds from the harmonica.

In my opinion, John Fullbright definitely has his own vocal identity with a blend of perhaps say, Garth Brooks, Jamie Cullum, and Teddy Thompson thrown into the mix!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 May 2013
This album was something of a gamble having only heard a couple of his songs on radio and following a fleeting appearance on Jools Holland, but, I have to say I love it.
The musical craft and lyrics are exceptional for such a young songwriter and his vocal range resonates Dylan, Guthrie and a little David Gray.
All round an excellent album and great value for the money.
on 27 May 2015
Super album - John Fullbright has a wonderful gritty voice, perfect for blues with just a hint of gospel and ambiguity. Like it a lot.
on 21 July 2013
Found one track on one of those sample CDs stuck to the front of Mojo or Uncut magazine...Checked out the whole thing on Spotify...decided I needed to buy a copy! So far one of the best CDs of the year in my opinion..but what do I know? If you are a fan of all things Americana then at least give this a listen...
on 20 February 2016