Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.76

on 20 March 2012
This is an incredible book. It does exactly what the author says it does - gives us a glimpse into the world of what it is like to be a doctor who is suddenly a patient. For all those involved in caring for patients, it's immensely valuable to realise what it's like for patients who hear our words and experience the care that's provided.
It's also very well written - I couldn't stop reading it and finished the book within a couple of hours. It's very, very sad in places - but also funny in places and I put it down feeling a huge amount of respect for the author - Kate must be a remarkable person, and, without sounding too corny, it is inspirational.
For those who aren't medical, I still think it would be well worth reading - and there is a glossary to help with the jargon!
on 21 March 2012
This has been written by a doctor for other doctors. There is a glossary at the back but without the 'lingo' you might find it a little tricky to understand what's going on. It is the story of Kate's battle with a rare form of cancer and also her battle to retain a sense of control over what happens to her. It is very well written indeed and the style is uncompromisingly honest. It is a very moving story.

Kate has been very brave in telling this story. It is quite a tough read. As a fellow medic, I am afraid I recognise things I have done in the actions of some of the medical staff Kate encounters. The standards she expects are quite rightly high and are not infrequently disappointed. We often excuse these things in our own working lives as a consequence of workload, shift patterns or unreasonable expectations on the part of patients. Of course we will never be perfect and providing really good care and communication to all our patients is an almost impossible task. What really came across to me was how much of a difference getting it right makes and the harm you can cause getting it wrong. This book will change attitudes in everyone who reads it. I am sure it will improve me as a doctor and a human being. So thank you Kate.
on 17 August 2016
Kate is a local lass and her my name is..... campaign have featured heavily in the local media. Now, potentially beginning my own journey,I felt I needed to fi d out what could possibly lay ahead for me. Having already spent 3 days onward 46 at Jimmy's and been faced with the hard pushed staff and wall of non communication from medics I was interested to see how she fared. Having ng a medical background she had the advantage of being able to understand her treatment and even guide it in some respects. I now feel less confident about any possible I may require.
Kate relates every sad turn other treatment with courage,dignity and not one bit of poor me. The jargon was made more understandable by the glossary and I made much use of the Wikipedia search function when reading. I devoured this book in one evening prior to my first octreotide scan. While waiting g I will be looking v out for type a consultant and hoping to meet her favoured consultant. The whole tale of lack of continuity with care is something that needs to be addressed by the NHS as a matter of urgency. I too was heartily sick of recounting my symptoms at every turn. Sadly Kate lost her battle earlier this year but she remains an Inspiration.
on 19 January 2015
Kate Granger is a legend in her own lifetime, for all the right reasons. She's been recognised by her peers for bringing the patient's perspective to the forefront, and #HelloMyNameIs has gone viral in the NHS. In an embattled public service with endless top-down reorganisations, Dr. Granger reminds us and her fellow doctors that medicine is *all* about the patient.

The terrible truth is that Kate Granger will die, and die soon, from her cancer. This is part of her legacy. Many people have lived very much longer and left less. This is an emotionally draining but morally uplifting book.
on 18 December 2014
A brilliant and uncompromising, and at times almost unbearably moving, insight into how it is to be a patient with a serious, life-limiting, disease. Written unselfconsciously and completely ingenuously, this should be read by any doctor interested in improving her/his communication skills (which means *any* doctor...).
I thought I was a good communicator; having read this book, I have had to reappraise my perception, and have been shown where I can improve.
I will try to use this book in teaching myself, medical students and junior doctors to do better... our patients deserve it!
on 10 September 2014
'The Other Side' and 'The Bright Side' are the heartrending account of a young doctor's experience of terminal illness. She describes vividly and poignantly the emotional and physical response to diagnosis and ongoing treatment. She is very aware of the compexity of being a patient and a doctor and is sensitive to other medical professionals' response to this.

In spite of her illness she returns to work and feels able to communicate better and make wiser decisions especially regarding end of life care. Her attitude to life is one of 'pragmatic stoicism' together with a positive enjoyment of her 'bucket list'. What an example she is!

I think these books will be enormously helpful to anyone coping with a life threatening disease.
I would recommend them also to all medical students and doctors as an eye opener to the experience of being a patient.

The proceeds of the books go to The Yorkshire Cancer Charity
on 27 January 2015
This book is a must-read for all medical professionals. This book has taught me a great deal about the patient's perspective in hospital medicine. As a medic, I felt this perspective was not explored enough at medical school. I am now urging my cousins who are medical students to read this book. I think it should be part of the curriculum in UK medical schools.
on 1 July 2012
I downloaded this book to my Kindle and found I couldn't put it down. The Author herself a young Doctor describes her experiences, physical, mental and emotional from when she first learnt she had cancer and through the various stages of her treatment. It was her intention in the book to try to relay her feelings and treatment experiences to other Doctors and medical staff in the hopes that they may be able to see things a little clearer from a patients point of view. To get her message over to other people in her profession she does use medical terminology but that doesn't take away the interest of the ordinary reader. Cash raised from the book sales are going to help others suffering with cancer.
Well done Dr Granger and best wishes to you and yours.
on 29 June 2012
I am in the process of reading this book at the moment and feel very sad that she is having to go through all this treatment but am not sure her being a doctor helps the situation as she knows what its all about whereas the layman is oblivious and accepts what is required. I do hope all goes well for her and should know by the end of the book. It can be upsetting reading about it but makes one aware of what people have to go through in these situations.
on 20 January 2014
I bought both of Dr.Granger's books after following her briefly on twitter. They give a deeply interesting insight into how a doctor feels about being a patient. Sadly, it appears that most of our doctors have not been trained to think about how their actions and words might come across to patients. It is a great reminder to those of us not medically trained that we need to sit up and ask questions about our own care. The books have also raised a fantastic amount of money for a cancer charity.

If the books are to become a staple for medical students and a legacy from Dr.Granger to the medical profession, it would be lovely if they could be professionally edited.