Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 27 September 2012
In short:
quick delivery
can NOT be used for 1/2 socket drive so 4 stars
not tried to use it yet so dont know the quality.

Arrived the next day after ordering, so lightning speed.
But it was saying it was useful for 1/2 socket wrench as well as 32 mm wrench, but it is not true (they may change the description after my comment but at the moment of this post it is still saying "Driven by either a spanner or standard 1/2" socket drive."). The other end is completely round, no chance for 1/2 socket drive. but its +- ok. As i have 32 mm wrench anyway.. The disappointment is that same items without 1/2 socket can be bought cheaper so of corse I wouldnt buy from this seller if I knew it wasnt useful for 1/2 socket drive. The difference is around 1 pound, so who really cares? except I do actually..
on 28 September 2012
This item seems fairly well made and did the job perfectly. In the process it did get quite "bruised", however, so not sure how long it would last if you were to use it regularly.

Be aware you'll need either a larger-than-average adjustable spanner or better still a 1 1/4" (32mm) socket wrench.
on 4 May 2014
Within 60 seconds of using it, with very little torque applied, the teeth were destroyed. Do not buy this product
on 18 April 2015
I like it because I got the job done with it without to much fuss and it seems sturdy.

I only realised after (first time I did this job) that these bottom brackets don't need to be tightened to much - as I had seen demonstrated in a video - as the left side threaded ring actually locks the right side thread by pushing the bracket body against the right thread when the left is tightened up if you see what I mean? So before I realised this I was trying to tighten the right side quite a lot and it was a fiddle to try and hold the tool on while turning the large spanner and the tool slipped I think mainly because of the tapered spline ends when what was actually needed was just to tighten snugly the right side and then to do the same with the left side. Well that's how I did it in the end.

Anyhow I filed the end of the tool down some because the splines are tapered and I ideally needed them flat as seen on other tools of this type to help get a proper purchase on the bracket and in doing this I could see that the metal this is made from is tough as its not easy at all to file off even a small amount but I only had a medium file.

The tool is good for many a use in fact this one could last forever doing this job as you don't really need to use a lot of force and the metal this is made from is definitely tough but I do think it was good idea to file it down a bit for the bracket I was using (a VP all metal thread L & R side and seems good quality). Maybe some other brackets need this tapering hence the tool being universal?
on 10 October 2015
With this I was able to remove a bottom bracket that was seized so tight, that the only way to remove it was to attach the tool to a t-bar socket, and wedge the t-bar socket into a stone wall, and only then by acquiring the leverage possible by turning the bike around the tool, holding each end of the frame... It was tight, but this tool stood up to the challenge... I'm not sure its edges are perfectly straight anymore, but I gave it a pretty hard time leading up to that, (with hammers etc.) so I think it has done incredibly well for the price.. If you want one that will certainly last forever, buy a Park Tool one, otherwise I can't see how this would let you down.
on 7 November 2015
I bought a bottom bracket with a plastic fitting for the left side. This tool isn't perfectly sized to fit, and as a result it slipped quite a bit when tightening the bottom bracket fixings. It tore the slots on the plastic side to shreds, so if I ever need to take it back out again it might be a bit troublesome.

Cheap though, so YMMV.
on 9 October 2015
Highly recommended !!! I've used this on several mountain bikes so far and I have pushed this lil tool to the limits and it's still whole !! good for many years to come too :) I'm sure !! and for only £3 ...bargain !!
on 24 May 2015
I tried to pull my bottom bracket from my mountain bike and it broke straight away I knew what I was doing because I have been cycling for years I won't buy another one from black dog bikes again unless black dog bikes send me a proper one not a cheap nasty one like the one I had
on 27 August 2014
If your bracket is on very tight this will break - the splines just rub off as the metal is not strong enough, and u will have to buy another one. It's ok if the resistance is weak. NOT HEAVY DUTY.
on 10 September 2013
It is almost impossible to do a BB repair without this type of tool.
This particular one is well made, well finished and fits spline perfectly so will not slip.
can be used with spanner or socket set square drive. I found square drive with extension bar the best option as quite a bit of force is required to loosen the BB end cups. remember end cup has left hand thread on left crank.
Only used for one BB repair so far but sure this tool will last for many more.