Customer reviews

on 10 November 2013
Downton Abbey has become a must see in my house. I love everything from the gorgeous castle to the Dowager's one-liners. Maggie Smith plays the part brilliantly. Having collected the DVDs I was delighted to see they were releasing the complete scripts - especially since I'm also into screenwriting and am hoping to write my own TV drama one day. This book, like the first, not only contains the material which was aired but also deleted scenes. Julian Fellowes gives commentary which in some parts is very interesting and gives more insight into the Edwardian Era. In the middle are some nice pictures to. I cannot wait for Series 3 and 4 to become available. A must buy for any Downton Abbey fan!
One person found this helpful
on 1 February 2014
I read this avidly and really enjoyed the opportunity to see the scenes which didn't make it to the tv screen, as well as Julian Fellowes' explanations as to why. He also includes background information which greatly added to the social history aspect and insights into the various characters. My only regret was coming to the end and not finding similar books of series 3 and 4 - but I'm hopiing they will come eventually. I think this and series 1 are by far the best background books to Downton Abbey.
on 27 December 2015
This book is MUCH bigger then I expected to be which I was pleasantly surprised by! If you're a Downton superfan then this is a perfect gift. I like to go through the scripts and mark my favorite quotes with a pencil. I've yet to read them as I'm watching the series but I'm sure that will come soon! A must for any downton fan!
on 8 February 2015
Great to have Downton in written form, once you have got used to reading it in script firm rather than a novel it's great. Having watched the series and got the DVDs you are able to picture what you are reading in your minds eye. Well recommended for any Downton Abbey fan.
on 4 March 2014
Both Downton scripts are professionally done and will be a good birthday present for my grandchild who has a masters in english and want to break into script writing
on 11 December 2013
Fantastic book. Love reading Julian's notes on backstage, production, writing and the cast. Goes very nicely with my Downton Abbey Series 1 Scripts. Will be buying the next one (series 3) as soon as it comes out.
on 23 June 2017
Really enjoyed this even though I watched every series. There are a lot of cut scenes that are interesting and I also enjoyed Julian fellowes's comments
on 30 November 2016
Julian Fellowes is amazing. I love the scripts. There is also loads of extra information relating to this period that I love.
on 19 March 2016
Just brilliant.
on 26 January 2015
An excellent example of over-writing - over directing; but essential to the plot/dialogue. Julian Fellowes really digs into and exposes
the frailties and nuances of human life.