on 3 November 2014
Giod
on 24 June 2014
Very tame detective novel, too much irrelevant details and not enough tension. I won't be getting any more in this series
on 16 May 2012
I don't like to be harsh about somebody else's hard work, it's not like I'm in a position to tell them how it's done, I'm not an author, but I am a reader of experience and this book just didn't quite make it for me.

It is readable, it has a fairly interesting plot, and there is something to be said for it, but I have to agree with previous reviewer Cheryl, the motive is missing, or at least vague, and please, please keep Debbie and Adrian out of the bedroom...in fact I found the whole attempt at fleshing out of the characters didn't work, for example Debbie and Adrian's 'romantic' encounter (engorged member, really??) and their meal out just distracted from the storyline and made you actively wonder why you were being told these things. DCI Alan Parkes also annoyed me, and I think he's the main example of how the author's simplistic ideas slipped up the plot - DCI Alan is a policeman who is happily married and a member of a church, and this is how we know he is 'good', setting up the idea of the opposing 'evil' he will have to fight. Too simple and not backed up by actions. Also poor Tracy Moran, spending all her own money on cakes and biscuits for ungrateful police officers who just moan about her typing skills...

On the plus side it does make a change to find a police/detective story which doesn't conform to all the usual cliches about modern policing - trouble with the chief superintendent and politics for example was replaced by a happy productive team. An easy read, but it won't change your world.
on 16 February 2017
That is if you like clever, witty, well plotted work. This thing is pedestrian in the extreme,it being a labour(but not of love) to finish it at all.
on 27 January 2013
This is quite possibly the worst book I have ever read. It was poorly written and no better than a schoolboy attempt at fiction. And that is probably being too harsh on schoolboys, I'm sure that some of them will have written much better works than this.
The plot was boring and predictable, and nothing surprised me. It was also incedibly repetitive, with the author telling you inane facts over and over again that added nothing to the storyline and in fact could have been missed out altogether.
I actually got the impression that Peter Croxton had written this book and then hadn't ever actually read it back through to see if it read well. Indeed it would surprise me if it was ever proof read.
I don't know why I continued reading it, I think I kept hoping it would improve. Believe me, it doesn't, please don't waste your time like I did!
on 28 May 2012
The concept of this story was there.... The flesh just didn't get onto the bones. Unfortunately the content was spent on too much information on unnecessary unrealistic police procedure and little side tales of the characters lives that just 'petered' out with no explanation.
Like other reviewers, I am not an author and certainly not reviewing this book to criticize the author as I said, the idea was good. Some little editing issues.... The name of DS Shaw's baby changed from Andrew Timothy to just Timothy! Oh dear.
A decent plot but just lacking a little.
on 4 July 2012
I enjoyed the story but there is too much repetition of certain ideas e.g. that real police-work bears no resemblance to American TV programmes, that the detective sergeant is almost his personal driver, that the civilian clerk provides cakes and more! There are too many idioms. They seem to have been included to make the story longer.
on 16 June 2012
The plot was okay, but the style of writing seems more adequate for someone starting to learn how to read. English is not my first language, but the often really short, abruptly stopped sentences did not make it an enjoyable read.
This writing style is especially weird when the author describes Debbie's and Adrian's love life.
on 14 July 2012
It was not until I read the reviews that I realised this was allegedly the third book in a series. Like a previous reviewer I found the bedroom and restaurant scenes an unnecessary distraction but if I have missed out on previous character development, then that is my fault for coming in two thirds of the way through. I will look to read the first two. As to the story, well for me it was an easy read, and a page turner where I wanted to know the outcome. Bit predictable in places but that's what makes it an easy read; a bit like a British Ed McBain 87th precinct story. I also agree it would make an excellent film.
on 10 June 2012
Well, I managed to finish the book so it must have had some interest. However as i got further into it the weaknesses became more and more apparent. Six unusual murders would surely have generated intense media interest but this seems to be totally missing from the book. It would also have have merited a lot of police effort and not just the 4 or 5 characters we get to see. Basically the plot is not in any way believable.
Having said that, the book is written in an easy-to-read style so it's not hard going at all. So I guess that is the conclusion - easy reading but unreal