on 3 June 2016
I could not put this wonderful book down. It's an enthralling story set in my favourite period of history and certainly did not disappoint. From start to finish it had me gripped. The only criticism I would possibly have is regarding Jon Kilkade's English - he has such basic mistakes, e.g. putting 'past' where he should have put 'passed' and 'site' when he meant 'sight', etc., but even that could not cause me to drop one star from my rating of this excellent book and I would highly recommend it. I cannot wait for any following novel from Jon set in this genre.
on 16 April 2016
An interesting tale from the last months of WW2., the author painting his picture of his characters with great skill, managing to portray them as very human, real people. The plot describes the confused times immediately before the war ended, with the interaction between the resistance forces and the occupying army reflecting the feeling of desperation prevalent at this time.
A well written story and worth 'a read.'
on 2 February 2014
Good Story, Well Written, Recommend, Well Edited

This book starts with an intrigue and in the present time but quickly moves back to WWII and a different perspective, that of the Channel Islands, the only part of the UK to be occupied by the Nazis during WWII. It quickly pulled me in and was full of pathos, well told and a story that flowed well with some twists and turns that took me off track but I pulled myself back quickly.

It was a story I didn't want to end and I enjoyed the book and would like a sequel!
on 23 September 2016
At times, this was an extremely exciting book with action in Jersey and France during WW2. I particularly enjoyed Rameau a French resistance fighter and who could surely be the central figure in a TV drama? Loved all the twists, and not everyone survived as in some romantic type war stories!
on 13 April 2017
I loved it, especially for his first novel, Jon has outdone himself. A brilliant book, worth a read and very thought provoking.
on 16 December 2013
I have a strong interest in stories of the Second World War, and once I began to read Farewell Leicester Square, I could not put it down. The characters simply leapt from the page and the suspense and tension gripped me. I even found myself holding my breath at various points when a character was in a dangerous situation. This book is historically authentic and clearly was very well researched. I look forward to John Kilkade's next book!
on 30 December 2012
If you enjoyed the TV series "Secret Army" and "Kessler" then this book has the same feel about it. The only reason I marked it less than 5 stars is because I found the link between past and present a bit too awkward, so much so that a few chapters in I wondered if I'd downloaded parts of different books. That being said, it's a good story well told and it's certainly value for money.
on 27 July 2016
Overall quite a good story.
Trouble was, half the time I had no idea over the year, the place and the characters.
It would have been good to give some definite indicators as to the where and when and who.
on 28 June 2017
Kept me reading for 2 nights, well written and believable, good characters and locations . Probably reasonably accurate history wise too
on 19 January 2018
An intriguing beginning quickly deteriorates to seemingly endless short chapters, each introducing yet more character descriptions and trivial detail, but little in the way of a story. I have to admit I only managed to struggle through 56% of it, then gave up!