Customer reviews

All the Best
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 December 2012
Great collection, combining tracks I had on vinyl, cassette and CD, plus many more. Have liked them since I first saw them (decades ago !) and this is a good retrospective, even though not all tracks are the longest versions.
on 1 October 2014
Love this band and cannot think why I have not heard of them before - great songs
on 19 March 2013
Two very good cds both released before put together as the best of Runrig If you have never listen to one of there albums give this a try can't go wrong for the price
on 13 January 2014
This is a good complilation of 'old' Runrig, which means they're tracks from when Donnie Munro was the lead vocalist. They were a good band then, so this CD is worth getting if you like Runrig in general. In my opinion, however, their best tracks are as 'new' Runrig with Bruce Guthro as lead vocalist (Canadian, from Nova Scotia - he therefore still has very Celtic musical roots) with Rory still singing some (including a favourite of mine: 'Running to the Light'). My family and I have seen them with Bruce several times live now and they're fantastic (looking forward to the next tour, tickets are booked....), Bruce has such a great voice - my kids consider CDs with Bruce as 'proper' Runrig (apologies to Donnie fans, he has a good voice too - we just prefer Bruce).

So, while I like 'old' Runrig, I wouldn't consider this compilation as 'All the Best', as my favourites aren't on here (these being Maymorning, The Stamping Ground, Clash of the Ash, Running to the Light.......). Having said that, at the end of the day, whether it's 'old' or 'new' Runrig, Rory and Calum Macdonald really know how to write wonderful songs, and there's some great stuff on this CD.

By the way, Bruce's first album with Runrig was in 1999...so maybe we don't really need to refer to the albums with him as 'new' Runrig anymore...
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 September 2013
I first heard Runrig about 30 years ago and why, south of the border, this Scottish band doesn't get the credit it deserves is beyond me. A marvellous mix of music styles, excellent instrumental sound, excellent vocals: just a delight to listen to. Buy it and judge for yourself. If you're not tapping your feet within seconds, I'll eat my hat. This has to be one of their best albums.
on 19 November 2012
This is by far the best deal in Runrig originals out there. 34 songs by the original lineup with Donnie Munro. 2 hours 35 mins. of excellently recorded Gaelic / Folk Rock for £4.99 on MP3. The 50 best of Runrig is over £14. Save yer bawbees. I have sampled some of DM's post Runrig albums and can find very little material to equal this. The voice is still great but the style is much more ROCK / folk with a strong American twang. They do that better over the pond. Covers of Donovan etc. just don't work. I sampled 3 full cds today and only selected 3 tracks. Others will prefer this but at 65, I much prefer the old, more acoustic and Gaelic / Scottish style. Younger ears may differ and it may simply be musical taste but be warned try before you buy. A very fine double album evoking memories of their video of the Glasgow Barrowland concert many years ago. No, I didn't go as I preferred to hear the music above the juvenile screams. Whatever, just enjoy.
66 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 May 2013
great cd good value for money..i have all their cd
and would recommend this one as there best
ever great
on 3 November 2014
Scottish super-group is certainly a well-earned description.
on 11 January 2013
Brilliant music, great band to listen to!
Not much more you can say really.
You can't help toe tapping to the up beat songs and the ballad styles are very strong.
on 23 August 2013
Bought this for my husband. He has previously bought other runrig albums but this is a good selection of old and new songs. Would recommend this to anybody listening to runrig for the first time as it is a great mix of their music.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse