Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now New Album - Depeche Mode Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 13 December 2012
I guess there is not much I can add to already existing reviews.
I just had to unpack, install DisplayLink drivers with support for Windows 8, reboot and everything is working without any setup apart from the usual detect & setup/align new monitor that all windows users should be familiar with.
on 5 August 2012
Ordered this for my HP laptop which annoyingly only has one HDMI connector. Ordered it on Thursday, arrived on Friday. Plugged it in, and it worked. It installs all the software itself, and then fires up the monitor attached to the HDMI port (for me, I used the included DVI converter). Good resolution, no speed issues at all (over USB 3.0) and the applet it installs in your notification area allows you to easily switch on and off the external display. The software also doesn't add itself to your Display Properties dialog, so if you're like me and you have custom software from Intel that will stay.

All in all, no complaints.
on 23 August 2012
I got this for a friend [on his account] so he could hook up his Medion All-in-one touchscreen Pc to his massive Samsung telly, since his PC does not have an external video output. Installation was dead easy, 1080p runs without a glitch, all this on a usb 2.0, 32-bit Windows system full of crapware, search bars, and every stupid auto-install download you can imagine, you get the picture. It shows on the Windows screen resolution menu in the usual way, with extend, duplicate, single modes supported. I imagine it will be even better on USB 3.0, 64-bit and a PC/notebook not hijacked by useless free photo and antivirus programs. Plugable website seems to be very good, too. I forgot, it adds displaylink audio out, so both video and audio can be linked out to a hifi simultaneously.
on 23 November 2012
Having read about all the tech stuff about new video cards blah blah needed to run multiple screens, I had just about given up when I found this. It does the job and it's reasonably priced. There seems to be a small glitch in that whenever I display a drop down box, it actually pops up on another monitor (and not the one next to this one) which is a bit bizarre, but ok once you are used to it. Installation was not smooth, the first time I tried I got the blue screen of death, but after downloading the most up to date driver, it installed fine. It's running on Windows 7 (32bit) with a HP Elitebook B440P laptop and a Synchmaster 930Bf monitor. The other monitor is a flatron E2240 and that remains plugged into the normal VGA port on the laptop. No noticable delay in screen response but then I am only using it with office based applications, no video or gaming.
on 3 July 2013
I bought 3 of these to replace the standard display link connection to one monitor. I've currently got 2 external monitors wired up and it works really well. There is the tiniest of lag when using the mouse, it's a barely perceptible stutter more than anything, I'm happy with this for the benefits having the extra real estate gives me.

The thing I would caution is if you are a heavy user of VMWare Fusion. I have both Ubuntu and Windows 8 VMs that I use regularly and while the Windows 8 VM works reasonably well, the Ubuntu VM is painful. Especially if you make use of the 4 workspaces heavily like I do. The redrawing lag is unacceptable and even typing lags and gets multiple hits, for example I would type 'hello' and 'heeeeeeeellllllo' would appear. Now I put this mostly down to VMWare rather than the adapters as using Skype in the Ubuntu VM suffers from some heavy audio lag too. I've managed to minimise this by not have the VM spread to all available monitors, only having it on one monitor (one of the externals provided by Plugable). It's now just about useable and the typing issues have gone.

I have also noticed the screensaver making the processor work overtime as mentioned by another reviewer. Same solution as they gave, disable your screensaver, no big loss.

Coupled with the 7-port USB 3 hub this is a fantastic solution to a problem I've been trying to solve for a while. Highly, highly recommended.

EDIT: Installing Xubuntu desktop on top of Ubuntu has solved even these problems so I'm now using the VM on all 2 (soon to be 3) monitors, leaving just a small lag when typing. Looks like it was the default animations playing havoc with the cards.
on 25 February 2013
The description says it works only for Windows machines but I found this link
[...]

Though the driver is still not a stable version (currently Alpha 2), it works flawlessly on my MacBook Pro 8,2 i7 2.0GHz. My current setup includes an Apple Cinema Display 27inch connected to the one and only Thunderbolt port and an Asus VE247H (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004T2LMP2/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1) through this Plugable adapter. I'm using the Asus display as an external display, nothing else. Obviously, however, I cannot vouch for other Macs out there though. I could find one reported issue (see [...]), but the support team seems very helpful.

Based on my experience, I recommend this product.
on 12 February 2013
This product is really awesome! So is the Amazon service.

Yesterday lunchtime, I decided that I needed more screen space so I wondered if there was a USB3 monitor adapter on the market. A few mouse clicks later I found several products on Amazon UK. After reading the specs and reviews I ordered this one. (Just after 1PM.)

This morning, I received an email from DPD to tell me that the item would arrive between 1022 and 1122. It arrived just after 1030. (It was really helpful to know when the package would arrive).

It took me over half an hour to tidy up my desk and to crawl under another desk to disconnect my 24" Dell U2410 monitor from my desktop and then arrange it near the other two monitors that are connected to my i7 powered Dell 17R SE laptop.

Then I unpackaged the USB adapter and spent two minutes scanning the very clear instructions which in summary said "If you have Win 7 - just plug it in".

So then I plugged in all the cables and the USB adapter installed itself. After selecting "HDMI input" on the monitor - everything was working.

So in less than 24 hours from thinking about it I now have the 17.3" laptop display and three external monitors. The one I'm using via the new USB3 adapter is running at 1920*1200, a resolution that is not possible using the internal laptop graphics card.

The documentation says that you can add several of these devices to one laptop so since my laptop has four USB3 ports I might even buy another one soon.

Altogether, a very impressive performance by the product manufacturer, Amazon and DPD.
on 22 June 2012
On a USB 2 port it is a little slower, but on usb 3 its awesome. I am very happy with the device, I use it for a third monitor and I don't see much differance between the three.
OS: W7 64 bit.
LAJ.
on 29 October 2012
I've tested this unit to the max.

I plugged it into a USB 3 port and played the latest FPS games over it without any noticeable lag, slow down or graphical glitches.

If it can handle modern day gaming, it can't easily deal with 2D and it does without breaking a sweat.

I shall be getting one more of these for my upcoming Windows 8 tablet, Windows 8 tablet + 2 of these = 3 monitor fun!
on 18 June 2013
The adapter is very fast and works as expected. I was amazed to find out its size which is way smaller than the USB 2.0 one.

I am now using 2 USB 2.0 adapters plus one USB 3.0 and working on 4 Full HD monitors. Everything works perfectly and I can definitely recommend this product.