Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.74

VINE VOICEon 26 April 2014
I found this a compelling read. It is all about secrets, the secrets we keep from our nearest and dearest and the ones we strive to hide from ourselves.
Fourteen year old June Elbus has one true friend who understands her and with whom she shares a special bond, her Uncle Finn. When he dies she not only has to come to terms with her grief but has to deal with the bubbling to the surface of secrets that are not only held by her family - her mother (Finn's sister), her father and sister but secrets Finn held back from her.
The fractured relationship she has with her big sister, Greta, is well drawn out and believable, made the sadder when snippets of how close they once were come out.
June is an outsider with a teenagers low self esteem. She finds it hard to make friends and the friendship she had with her uncle leads to another that brings equal joy but ultimate heartbreak to her again. Along the way she learns a lot about her whole family and begins to understand what she couldn't/wouldn't see before.
The ending brought a tear to my eye, there is resolution for June and for Greta and to some extent her mother too. Secrets are found out but some are still held close as is always the way in life.
A very enjoyable read.
on 10 February 2013
I loved this book. It took me back in time to the confusion of teenage feelings, to sibling bonds and small injustices so powerfully felt, to the gradual dawning of understanding of complex, grown-up affairs, and to the times and places in which the story is set.

June is a convincing narrator, and the characters around her were developed with writerly skill. The story is sometimes painful, but always full of compassion. The twists and turns in the plot are perfectly paced and kept me engrossed. I reached the end with a sense of nostalgic sadness, and much weeping (possibly with a teenager's self-indulgence!) Fiction gold; definitely one of my favourite books of the year.
on 18 July 2017
A fascinating book. A story of lost chances and choices made. Evocative of the time in which it's set and of the prejudices and ignorance in existence.
on 19 November 2013
I did enjoy this book. It was different and kept me interested all the way through. The only fault I would say is that the story was a but drawn out but although sad in parts the ending was good. I would read another book by this author and hope there will be another book soon.
on 7 April 2013
I loved this book - it has been waiting to be read on my kindle for ages and I am so glad I finally got round to it. I don't know the last time I enjoyed a book so much, I was crying so hard by the end that I kept having to put it down. It is heart warming and life affirming and so beautifully written that I can't wait for more by this author. The only negative is I would have loved for the picture to be the cover, but maybe imagining it is better. I can't recommend this enough.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Tell The Wolves I'm Home is a touching coming of age story in which we follow fourteen year old June on her journey leading up to her uncle's death and then the emotional and difficult days following.

The storyline has many issues – effects of death of a close family member on a teenager, AIDS in the 1980's and the reactions of people back in the early days, sibling rivalry, jealousy and friendship of someone you have been told to hate – to name but a few. Having said that, it doesn't have a depressing or morbid feel to it as the chapters are short and soon move on to other family happenings.

We read this book at my local reading group and of the ten of us, two didn't like the story, four of us really liked it but all of us thought it was very will written with good, well defined characters. It's not a perfect book and has many loose ends, but if you are open minded and take it as a snapshot on a family's life which we leave as abruptly as we entered, with not all questions answered, then you will probably like the style.

This is an excellent debut novel, beautifully written with the professional, polished feel of an established author.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This had an extremely original storyline - a teenage girl befriends the man that her family hold responsible for the death of her beloved and supremely talented uncle.

It's a beautifully written book with superbly well developed characters that never ring a false note. The AIDS fears of the mid to late Eighties are perfectly re-evoked and the time captured very well. It was a shock to realise that what many of us think of as recent events will be unfamiliar to anyone under thirty and hazy to anyone under thirty-five, so this book may well be introducing the subject to a new audience.

Carol Rifka Brunt makes you care about the characters, makes you care what happened and hope for good outcomes against hope. The relationship between June and her sister Greta is wonderfully realistic, there is nothing candy coated in this story, just superb reflections on human nature.
Definitely worth reading.
on 12 October 2013
This was a compelling, unexpectedly moving read. I am a big fan of fiction that challenges the reader to reevaluate preconceptions; revisit past experience from a different perspective and this novel does just that. I immediately warmed to the main character, June's, voice - diffident and self-effacing, her awkwardness endearingly believable - I found myself identifying with and rooting for her. Her relationship with her sister was eerily familiar - the jealously and sheer peevishness depicted so accurately.

The focus on the early days of the AIDS epidemic was sensitively handled - one forgets the terrible injustice and intolerance that was meted out to people with HIV and AIDS, irrespective of how it was contracted, all fueled by fear, ignorance and the rampant, sensationalist media (as usual). My heart went out to Toby, sick and alone, afraid of rejection by Finn's family and friends, despite having been his partner for many years. And this was how it happened, more often than not.

Against this backdrop, June heroically but with great trepidation, pursues a relationship with Toby, initially as a means of understanding her beloved Uncle Finn in more depth, but then simply for the sake of friendship and love of Toby. Utterly convincing and affecting.

I've been thinking about this story and mulling over the questions it raised in my mind a great deal since I finished reading it a couple of days ago. Not many novels have the ability to do that for me and I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
This is a wonderful story about the close bond between a young girl, fourteen-year-old June Elbus, and her inspirational uncle, the noted artist Finn Weiss. He's the only person that June feels she can share her secrets with, and reveal her true self to. When Finn passes away, June finds herself adrift, wondering how her life can possibly go on without Finn being a part of it. Then June meets Finn's partner Toby, who has never been mentioned to June before, and a new friendship is slowly formed which will alter the way she views herself and her late uncle. They are both lonely, struggling to cope with life without Finn, united in the immense loss and grief they share.

It is also about siblings, and the changing relationship between June and Greta as they grow up, having lost the closeness they once shared, both wanting it back but seemingly unable to rediscover it from under all the layers of jealousy and misunderstanding.

This is a lovely, sincere, warm-hearted book, with a story rooted in the early days of AIDS awareness, when misconceptions abounded and most people didn't openly discuss the illness. It is about our perceptions of people, the judgements we make, and how we can discover so much about ourselves and those close to us through the most unlikely friendships and in the most unexpected places.

I found this a profoundly moving novel, and a highly accomplished and heartfelt debut.
VINE VOICEon 12 October 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very moving story about growing up and love and loss. The narrator is 14 year old June Elbus, whose beloved uncle Finn has died. Finn was the only person who June felt connected to and her loss is evident throughout the book. She doesn't feel as though she fits in with any of her peers - she prefers to wear medieval style clothes and would rather spend time on her own in the woods than attend parties. Her 16 year old sister is the complete opposite, being popular at school and seemingly privy to more information than June. Greta is like a stranger to her, although they used to be so close and the story is also about Greta's feelings about growing up and in deciding where her future lies. Before he died, Finn completed a portrait of both June and Greta together and it is the title of this portrait that gives the book its name.

The book is set in the 1980's when there was still very much of a stigma attached to AIDS. The sense of shame of the manner of Finn's death experienced by June's family, especially her mother (Finn's sister) is very real and when June discovers that Finn had a `special friend', Toby, whom she knew nothing about, feelings of jealousy come to the fore. June's family want nothing to do with Toby but as June's slowly developing friendship with Toby shows, everyone needs a friend to help them deal with feelings of loss.

This is a very slow moving book and takes some concentration. It took me some time to read it however it is an excellent debut and the author is certainly one to look out for in future.