VINE VOICEon 14 December 2014
Excellent , even if...
Upgrading from an SLT A-33. it s obvious that I noticed a change between both camera.. First, The A57 is bigger that the A33, it s size is quite similar to its rival Canon EOS 600D . The A57 is packed with features, extremely fast autofocus, high res LCD, excellent digital viewfinder, ... it is also extremely easy to use, for someone like me, who is by far NOT a professional photographer . I do love taking pics, but hey, i m no artist, and i just focus on sceneries, people, events etc.. no art pictures and nothing that requires some long and fastidious work on a photo editing program after that..

I ve been told the A57 is excellent is you use RAW format.. in my case, i m a JPEG guy and the result is more than perfect in my eyes.. .., it is amazing in low light, the colours are top class, i like mine on the soft side so, I reduced the saturation level a bit, but that s absolutely something personnal. I ve had the chance to use as well an A37, the smaller equivalent of the A57, and I was really turned off by the desastrous quality of the LCD screen on the A37..... it s almost not usable in broad day light..

all in all the A57 is a really good camera.

so, why only 4 stars and not 5 ???

Well. I m not sure whether this is a common issue with the A57 or not, but mine is an absolute battery guzzler ... It just sucks up the juice of my battery in 5 days... i go from 100% to dead flat ... even when the camera is switched off. I first thought that there was something wrong with the camera and popped in a SONY store... but apparently the seller was not surprised and told me it was normal.. ... he managed to sell me another battery full price indeed.. just in case there was a battery issue.. well. it did not sort the problem out and my A57 is still draining battery off like mad, even when it is switched off. .. so, now, I just remove the battery when the SLT A57 is not in use..and i manage to get 400 pics out of my batteries.. Not sure whether all SLT A57 have that problem or not... so.. I just let you know about that..
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 January 2015
As a pro videographer now, this was my starting camera. Such a amazing camera that has amazing features in both video and stills mode.
Compared to what Canon and Nikon have in this price range, this camera stomps them all in video mode.

Reason I sold it and moved onto a GH3 is because the lack of lens options. Sony lenses are too expensive, especially for people who are starting out.

I recommend this camera, and if you want to buy it, buy it Body Only, and get the 50mm 1.8 next to it. Forget about the 18-55 Kit Lens.
Also, pick this over the a58, it has better build quality.
on 11 May 2013
As this was my first camera I spend a lot of time researching which one to buy. Over the obvious choice of Nikon and Canon I felt this was much better value for money as it does the same thing and more for less money,

The quality and ease of use if very suitable for an beginner or even intermediate photographer,

I do not regret buying this over any other camera including the a58, (mainly for price and the small difference in functions)
on 10 October 2017
Ued it for a number of years now and it works fine. Though you should upgrade the lens that comes with the camera.
on 23 April 2014
Rock solid build quality, clear electronic viewfinder with excellent picture and video quality. Some clever additions like panorama shooting and HDR modes etc... but basically a very competent semi professional camera, which is the main thing....
on 17 December 2014
Ive been using it for a week now...........cant fault it
on 2 October 2013
Good product and at the correct price. Great service
on 30 September 2012
Sony aren't the first name people turn to when they want a DSLR. However, based on this camera, they should be.

The camera is really well built, it's not weather-sealed or magnesium (you'd have to pay much more), but is very sturdy and works great, as well as being ergonomically well designed.

The photos it takes are stunning. It's unbelievably easy to use, and there's plenty of manual control on offer, so beginners and pros alike can come up with great stuff. As ever, the usual PASM modes are all there, as well as a very clever auto mode, which turns out remarkably decent images. Shooting HDR images is also very easy, if not massively useful as feature, but the multi-frame noise reduction is very useful, and reduces noise very effectively, to the extent that using this mode at ISO 25600 offers less noise than normal shots at 6400. Normal shots are thoroughly usable up to ISO 3200, but pushing a little higher if needs be is not too much of an issue. The articulated screen is a really useful feature, being very clear and very sharp, and allowing different framing opportunities. Considering how useful live view is on this camera (see later), the articulation is a brilliant idea.

There is one key difference, and one clear advantage, over the Nikon/Canon competition. The translucent mirror. This has no real disadvantages compared to the reflex lens alternatives, but a number of advantages. The phenomenal speed is definitely one. This camera will, at full resolution, shoot bursts at 10fps. This is compared to the competition which can barely manage 4-5fps at a push. The only faster non-Sony you could buy will run you around £6,000 (Nikon D4 or Canon 1D X), so this is something of a USP.
The translucent mirror also means that live view is incredibly convenient, as soon as you pull your eye away from the (electronic) viewfinder, the LCD pops into life and shows you just what was on the viewfinder. Live view doesn't suffer from the often awful shutter lag which cramps the competition either. The viewfinder itself, despite being electronic, is very sharp, and is no trouble to shoot with, and you can choose whether to have it behave like an optical finder, or to give you an exposure preview, like live view.

Video quality is also excellent, you can choose from 25 or 50fps in 1080p, at a number of bit rates upto 28Mbps, along with stereo sound from the top-mounted mic. You can also use the mic input if you want higher quality sound.

Whoever you are, this camera is arguably a better option than anything like the Canon 600D or Nikon D5100, and an absolutely excellent choice.
on 28 July 2012
This is just a fantastic camera. I've had a few entry level Nikons for quite a few years
now and have always been hesitant to move away. But eventually I was swayed by the promise
of the Sony A57 and I'm so glad I did! It's a joy to use, extremely fast when you want it
to be, creative, takes amazing pictures in all sorts of conditions and even takes great,
in focus video too. The camera is really comfortable to use, has loads of options which
haven't taken me long to get the hang of and it lets me take some amazing pictures. I can't
recommend this camera highly enough, if you're considering it, just do it, you won't be
disappointed :)
on 9 August 2012
Firstly, let me start by making it perfectly clear, I am a complete novice. I don't (didn't) actually even know the even basics on digital photography.

We have always owned pocket 'point & shoot' digital cameras (Sony Cybershots etc. I have never owned a DSLR. The difference in quality is IMMENSE, but then so was the price. Although I don't begrudge a penny.

There was a couple of reasons for this sudden purchase.

1. We always go to top-notch destinations on hols, and ever end up with many memories. Off to Mexico in 2 weeks!

2. I am a Fitness Model, so have a website for commercial reasons and often need ad-hoc shots. I required some B&W shots of me training in the gym ( the 12FPS on b&w setting does an AMAZING job - hark at me! )

3. We have 2 gorgeous cats & a wonderful little boy, whom are getting old/growing up, so be great to start collecting memories.

I opened the box, followed the small booklet included. I sat down for about 1 hour reading and testing. I tried a variety of functions, and even after this short time I managed to bag some amazing shots of the garden, cats, sky, insects...EVERYTHING!! I think I even caught a fly sneezing, the quality is so good!

I really can't speak highly enough of this camera, the Sony Alpha A57. I haven't really had much experience so am unable to compare my experience to other cameras. But this has really perked my interest in Photography...

Build Quality A++
Ease of Use A++
Pict Quality A+++
Features A+++
Values for Money A++++

Buy it...don't look at anything else, you WILL NOT be disappointed!

M Nixon, Berkshire