on 28 September 2015
This is a cool CD album, featuring songs from and inspired by the first in the series of films "The Hunger Games". I bought it after seeing it on a friend's wish list as a birthday present, and having listened to the music samples beforehand, I just knew I had to get it for her. She's really happy with it; it was the only present from her wish list that she received on her birthday, and it felt nice to give her something that she particularly wanted.
on 21 May 2017
Mainly bought it for "Safe and Sound", not really a fan of the other songs but there you go
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 April 2012
This is just fantastic! It's important to note that this isn't the official soundtrack, rather it is songs inspired by the movie and wow, each of these songs reminded me so much of moments in both the books and the movie; one or two of the soundtracks even reminded me of some of the characters.

It's not often that an album doesn't have a single song you want to skip but with this soundtrack I had absolutely no desire to skip a rubbish song because there just isn't one. In particular, "Abrahams Daughter", "Come away to the water", "Eyes Open" and "Safe and Sound" are by far the best of the bunch - each has such an eerie feel to them that you can't help but think of Katniss and Prim being wrenched apart and the fear the Hunger Games brings to each character.

I have to say that I was surprised by how good some of these songs were, particularly Taylor Swift's "Eyes Open" and "Safe and Sound". I was expecting something country-esk and not really fitting with the movie but that was absolutely not the case - infact I'd go as far as to say her songs made the album.

But do you need to have seen the movie to appreciate this album? No of course not, the songs are great in their own right. Here's a quick run down of what songs are on the album just in case:

Abrahams Daughter by Arcade Fire - Really quite creepy but difficult not to love.
Tomorrow will be Kinder by the Secret Sisters - A bit dreary, probably the worst of the bunch.
Nothing to Remember by Neko Case - Again, a bit dreary but nice to listen to.
Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift ft Civil Wars - One of the best songs - the lyrics are beautiful and really relate to the movie.
The ruler and the killer by Kid Cudi - A rock twist to the album.
Dark Days by Punch Brothers - Pretty song, the lyrics again really remind me of the movie.
One Engine by the Decemberists - A more upbeat song.
Daughters Lament by Carolina Chocolate Drops - Very country, sounds more like chanting but is quite moving.
Kingdom Come by the Civil Wars - I had never heard of this group before this album, they're very country but really great.
Take the Heartland by Glen Hansard - Rocky, not really in keeping with the movie in my opinion.
Come away to the water by Maroon 5 - Wow, I can't stop listening to it. It's super eerie, maybe even a bit weird. But brilliant!
Run Daddy Run by Miranda Lambert - I love this, a country song with great depth to it.
Rules by Jaymee Dee - She has such a distinctive voice. I loved this.
Eyes Open by Taylor Swift - Fantastic - the lyrics could not be more perfect for the movie.
Lover is Childlike by The Low Anthem - A quiet song, eerie and beautiful.
Just a Game by Birdy - A very pretty song.

So overall a great album, probably with a bit of a country bias, perfect for the movie. Hope this helps.
"The Hunger Games" was one of the most anticipated movies of 2012 -- and so the music is almost as anticipated.

Well, despite the presence of Maroon 5 and Taylor Swift, it's a very NON-poppy collection of songs -- it's a smooth combination of folk, rock, and country, imbued with a sense of ominous bittersweetness. There are a few rock numbers mixed in, but "The Hunger Games: Songs From District 12 And Beyond" is a very quiet, haunted affair.

It kicks off with Arcade Fire's slow-blazing "Abraham's Daughter"; it really brings across a dark, desperate feeling with a girl's swirling vocals in the middle of it all, with danger roaring on every side of her. It is AWESOME.

From there, we hear a string of quieter songs -- the Secret Sisters' softly uplifting "Tomorrow Will Be Kinder"; Neko Case's rippling "Nothing To Remember"; the Civil Wars' trembling duet "Kingdom Come"; the Low Anthem's murky "Lover is Childlike"; Jayme Dee's warmly contemplative "Rules"; and finally Birdy's bittersweet piano ballad "Just A Game."

Maroon 5 also abandons their usual sound, producing a rippling, dark ballad called "Come Away To The Water." As for Taylor Swift... "Safe and Sound" is a misty, soft-edged ballad that sounds beautiful, but "Eyes Open" is sharper and a bit shriller.

But in the midst of all this mellow, softer stuff, there are a few rock numbers. There's Kid Cudi's buzzing, threatening "The Ruler and the Killer," and Glen Hansard's overwrought "Take The Heartland." And God bless 'em, the Decemberists produce a perfect fusion of folk/country and rock in "One Engine."

I expected a few more fast-moving rock numbers in "The Hunger Games," since the movie is about a fight-to-the-death tournament -- meaning there's probably lots of action. But instead, it's a slow, steady stream of acoustic guitars ringed with bass, a thin stream of blazing guitar and occasional piano. The entire album has a homespun, earthy feel.

Lyrically, the music seems to be focused on the emotions of the characters -- whether it's Katniss Everdeen ("And we're on fire/Blow a kiss to the crowd/They're our only hope now"), the tyrant overseeing the Games, or the people who give up teens to fight ("Come away to the water/Give yourself so we might live anew").

But there were a couple songs that didn't quite click. Miranda Lambert and the Punch Brothers' songs were too completely country, and Glen Hansard's is a screamy repetitive mess.

Despite a few missteps, there's an earthy, heartfelt quality to "The Hunger Games: Songs from District 12 and Beyond" that seems to link together most of the songs. Beautiful and bittersweet.
on 30 March 2012
I love film soundtracks and was not disappointed by this one. The collection of songs are a brilliant mix which each complement the other. The songs are a excellent companion piece for the books and film and there are some absolute gems present. The civil wars, arcade fire and birdy all produce great songs but I was pleasantly surprised by the haunting track from Maroon 5 and also one from Jayme Dee. I was also impressed by the lyrics of the songs which truly reflect the themes in the books, I cannot fault this album. I would recommend this soundtrack to anybody who loves music.
on 20 March 2012
Just to say, this isn't the score for the movie, rather 'inspired by' songs.
Some of the music is really beautiful, particularly Safe and Sound, and Come Away to the Water, other songs are a bit weirder, and not as obviously related to the Hunger Games.
I would recommend it, especially if you're into Country.
on 22 March 2012
I am a big fan of film soundtracks and own countless. Normally a soundtrack has good music but doesn't really connect with the film or it really connect with the film and has pretty dire music that you know you wouldn't put on your MP3. I don't have that problem with The Hunger Games soundtrack at all.

I read the books about a year and half ago and instantly loved them and over the past year I've built up a fairly large music collection just from fanmixes based around THG so I was a bit nervous in hearing this album as I had some pretty high expectations. The first song to be released was Taylor Swift's "Safe and Sound". Now I'm not a Taylor Swift fan at all, if I eve do listen to country I prefer it to be less Pop than Taylor's music but "Safe and Sound", which also features the brilliant The Civil Wars, is a very good song. It captures the feel of the first books pretty much straight away. You can even picture scenes in which it could be played.

One beautiful thing about this album is that the lyrics fit the film and the book so well. 'Just A Game' by Birdy not only reference's Peeta's line about not wanting to be a piece in the Capitol's game but it also includes the lyrics:

Take my hand and my heart races
The flames illuminate our faces
And we're on fire
Blow a kiss to the crowd

These lyrics can remind you so much of the chariot scene from the books. 'Dark Days' by Punch Brothers is another song with lyrics that fit perfectly such as:

Our love will see us through these dark, dark days sister,
'Til it lights the way back home.
Sister, hide our love away.
It can turn the whole world upside down,

I'm so impressed by the writing talent on this album. The overall album is very well put together. Key songs that stand out are 'Safe and Sound', 'Just a Game' by the talented Birdy, Punch Brothers' 'Dark Days', Arcade Fire's 'Abraham's Daughter' and the very surprising 'Come Away to the Water' by Maroon 5 and Rozzi Crane. The producer of the album, T Bone Burnett, deserves a lot of praise for this so well done.
on 23 July 2015
Totally immersed by the music of the film and bought this only to be disappointed.
First track by Arcade Fire was very welcoming but went quickly down hill from there. I was expecting this to be an interesting link of music but found no real common 'theme' music-wise to these tracks. Maybe if you like the individual tracks you'll be pleased but I expected to be drawn in with sound in a similar way that I was drawn in to the movie.
on 12 October 2013
I chose this ratting because I received the product shortly after buying it, which is what I wanted. It was also cheaper than in many other places and it came in perfect condictions, and I even recommended it to some of my friends.
on 20 December 2013
Yes I know, the film wasn't the same as the books. But could it ever be.

This music from the film though is what the books lacked, it's great.

Get it, you won't regret it!