on 15 December 2014
I came across this bands' name many times over the years but decided to give them a go after hearing opener 'Only Shallow.'
I wanted to try something rocky that's a bit different, and this is one of the most difficult bands and albums to categorize you can imagine! Although pigeon-holed as 'Shoegazing', it almost sounds like a bastard offspring of Grunge at times, and considering it was released the same year as Nirvana's 'Nevermind,' comparisons to that genre are expected but ultimately unfounded, as the band is deeply rooted in post-punk / alt rock but are utterly unique. A lot of comparisons have been made to bands like Sonic Youth, but since I haven't really listened to them I can't comment. To me, as a mostly hard rock and metal fan, the best description I can muster is a 'less Metal,' less riff-driven version of the Deftones, in that they are both heavy or at least sonically excessive and soothing and the same time, but with more weird noises.
The vocals are very soothing by Bilinda Butcher and Kevin Shields and are often a sharp contrast to the heavily distorted and experimental noise going on around their melodies. There are acoustic guitars here and there, a few keyboard lines and synths and god knows what else! Vocals definitely take a back seat here especially in the mix, that is not to say they're poor or unimportant, simply lower down the pecking order, the band seem to concentrate on creating an atmosphere or feeling rather than lyrical relativism as the band themselves have described them as 'basically gibberish.'
Track lengths can vary from under a minute to close to 7, but at no point does it sound filler or overdrawn, although it can be a bit too droney and repetive for some. Some of the songs border on mimimalism however and this could be considered the album's weakness. It definitely isn't for everyone and does require at least 2/3 listens to grasp. Check it out on YouTube!
'Only Shallow' is the highlight for me, but there are many good tracks to pick from here, 'When You Sleep' is another standout and one of the few other tracks that has any sort of 'conventional' song structure and even here I use the term loosely.
I would recommend this album to rock and metal fans that want to hear something very different, unique and is for all moods and occasions...often at the same time, but as always, try before you buy!
on 1 January 2015
I bought this album for my big sister as a Christmas present as she's into shoegaze music and I am as well. I honestly never listened to My Bloody Valentine much before but this album is a terrific lush sounding indie record from the Irish dream pop group. The guitars really take centre stage here over the vocals which create this very ethereal sound similar to The Jesus and Mary Chain, another popular band from the shoegaze scene. I'm really love with this album and I can see why My Bloody Valentine are such an influential act on several alternative and hard rock bands (they were a huge influence on The Smashing Pumpkins and Deftones).
on 12 May 2015
OK so music reviewers always compare new releases to older 'standards' to see how good they are. For example guitarists compared to Hendrix or Page (Zeppelin). Well every Indie band can be compared to My Bloody Valentine.This, their second album, sets the standard to compare new Indie bands to. An essential buy for Indie music fans, a music industry classic.
on 8 February 2013
Loveless can be impenetrable at first: it seems tuneless and lacking in conventional pop songs. But give it time and listen to the entire album and it begins to make sense. I like music or TV that requires you to make an effort, whilst this is not for everyone, it can be hugely rewarding. Loveless is an astonishing album and for me it can sound different each time. Even 22 years later, no one has surpassed what Kevin Shields achieves with the guitar here. Simply put he reinvents what the guitar is capable of. That they could return with something as great as m b v is cause for celebration.
on 1 September 2017
Mu husband bought this for me as he thought it would be my kind of thing based on my other musical tastes (Cocteau Twins, Sigur Ros, Richard Barbieri) and he was bang on! Love it!
on 7 February 2017
Brilliant read for the ear.
on 25 July 2017
Wow !!! This is Loveless cleaner and clearer 😶..
on 23 January 2016
Fab noisy guitar rock! Dense and interesting.
on 27 June 2015
Brilliant. Try it.
on 16 March 2015
I think I liked it more when I first heard it. And I'm not convinced I needed two copies of the same album, but hey one for the completeists.