Customer reviews

on 13 August 2017
Love the rf range of units and have loads of them in the house. This one was bought to control garden water fountain so that it could be turned on from anywhere in the house or garden. Some people seem to have an issue with the range of transmission, took a while to find a good location for the relay box (signal from phone app relayed as a 433mhz signal to the unit) but now able to control throughout house without issue
on 20 April 2017
Used a few of these to control my bathroom and garden lights and found them to be reliable and simple to setup. Just ensure you leave it accessible, should you have any issues in future or need to connect a new device to it. Very useful for controlling LED strips
on 10 September 2017
D|oes what it says on the box
on 22 July 2013
I needed a LightwaveRF remote switch to control outside lights on my porch and driveway. I have one CFL and two LED bulbs out there. Total load = 15W.

The standard LightwaveRF switch replacement LightwaveRF 2 Year Guarantee 1 Gang 2 Way Dimmer 250W Stainless Steel won't do here, because it needs to see a proper resistive load between itself and Neutral to keep itself powered. That's the way they designed them - One of the side-effects of UK lighting circuits rarely having a Neutral connection at the switch box, I'm afraid.

I digress. This inline relay solves the problem perfectly. It would normally fit inside a single gang, 47mm deep back box but unfortunately, I've got a 3-gang switch on there, with a big bundle of wires taking up all the space behind.

Instead, I have the inline relay inside a stud wall, sitting on top of a nogging. I dropped it in there by pulling the plastic back box partially out of the wall. Wires from the relay come into the bottom of the back box. I have the relay supplying power to the 'common' of two of the switches. These two wall switches then act as 'enables' for the two sets of lights outside, although I could have dispensed with the manual switches altogether. I do have a permanent Live and Neutral connection in my back box, so the inline relay was made for the job.

My WiFi Link controls the relay from about 30 feet away, through 3 or 4 walls. Another cool feature - the unit has an integral fuse holder with a 5A fuse, to protect itself.

The user guide doesn't show dimensions. The unit is a LOT smaller than I anticipated, so I've supplied a photo.
review image
33 Comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 August 2017
Works brilliantly and saves a lot of time, especially in the back weather
on 16 May 2014
Works well in an old house with thick walls and I get about a 25M range (I can operate the light in my office from the end of my garden).

The unit has two relays (one for each output) and the default state after installation (or a power-cut) is for both relays to be off. In this state neither of the outputs will be connected to the common terminal. You have to send a command to the unit for one of the relays to be turned on.

There is always a short delay (approx. 1 second) before a command turns on the appropriate relay. Basically when you send a command the currently 'on' relay will turn off immediately and then there is a slight pause before the other one is turned on. This is ideal for something like a garage door, but can be disconcerting when you turn on a light in the middle of the night and nothing happens for a second or so.
on 25 November 2013
These are small and work exactly as hoped. The only downside really (and this is a lightwave issue generally) is that you need to physically access the relay every time that you want to pair it with a controller. It would be more more convenient if you could initiate the pairing from a (previously paired) smartphone for example.
on 7 June 2017
I used this housed in the outdoor weatherproof housing in combination with Joyin outdoor strings lights and 2 of the wireless switches to create garden path string lights. It works well, but the switches sometimes struggle over the 15m distance.
on 2 February 2013
I'm no electrician so the documentation was a little sparse for me. It seems to be written with the experienced professional in mind. Could do with some specific examples of how to wire certain appliances.

That said, it's compact, seems well made and works a treat. It will fit snugly inside a standard back box with a blanking plate on. I had to ask for dimensions from Lightwave, as they don't quote them anywhere (H52mm x W52mm x D26mm).
on 3 January 2017
Does what it says on the tin...paired easily with existing Lightwave RF JSJSLW930 (WiFi/Internet controller) and created a scheduled event to turn on/off soffit lights on my garage. Only criticism is that the unit is quite small, which although great for mounting in a 900mm x 900mm IP65 adaptable box I got from Screwfix, the actual wiring contacts and screws are quite small and tricky to use if you have a fairly thick gauge of cable or are doubling up on cable to use multiple lights for example - otherwise 5 stars.