on 24 December 2011
I know many will say "it's called character development!" but nothing happens in book 15 except talking. There have been a few DEAD books with just talking and they are developing character and setting up the story for a very exciting next issue. But this is not happening in book 15. Basically the book is just the characters going over old ground. Rick talks about Shane. Michonne talks about Morgan. Andrea talks about Amy. End of book. Nothing happened that made me want to buy book 16!

I honestly believe that Kirkman doesn't know what to do with series. I think Rick's character arc finished a long time ago, even Rick thinks this and says so in this book. The series should have ended when they got to the Alexandria Safe-Zone and it should have showed them living there and with the community, with a horde of walkers outside the gate.
55 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 November 2014
Volume twenty two in the series of paperbacks which collect issues of the Walking Dead, the popular comic about people struggling to survive after zombies overrun the world.

This volume contains issues 127-132 of the monthly comic. As ever it runs all six issues of black and white art together into one long narrative. But you can easily tell where one part ends and another begins.

This volume might actually work as a jumping on point, since it starts a lot of new storylines. But new readers would probably be better off starting with book one. Especially if you've come into this via the tv show, as that and the comic do follow rather divergent paths.

The end of the last collection saw nothing to stand in the way of Rick's plans for the future of the various communities. So how would they fare?

This one introduces us to this new world order via a new group of characters, who have been on the road and surviving for months before they stumble on Rick and his people. Magna, the lady who leads this group, is almost as much a natural leader as Rick, so this makes her quite an appealing character.

We thus see her and her group adjust to this new place. And we catch up with familiar characters also. Some time has passed since volume twenty two - it's not clear how much - so a few surprises and developments await.

The Walking Dead has never been primarily about Zombies and killing them. It's a character drama first and foremost. About how a person changes a result of this strange new world. Which is the point first and foremost of this volume. Even though it's almost all character stuff rather than zombie killing, there is so much going on in the former respect that it really grabs.

But society is always a fragile thing. If you want threat, you will get it. The one problem that faced them at the end of volume twenty two hasn't entirely gone away. And more threat awaits. The ending of this volume is quite amazing. Something you won't see coming. And it really will leave you desperate to know what happens next.

There's lots of life in this story yet. Another great volume in a great series.
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 September 2012
This was okay but mainly focused on relationships, finding other communities and the need for a farm. A little unexciting to say the least. The poor old walking dead barely get a look in before they're quickly dispatched.
44 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 March 2014
It has been ages since a TV show grabbed my attention. I burned through the first season and waited for the second, completely oblivious to the fact that it was based on a comic book still running strong till a friend told me. I hesitated ordering it till the finale of Season three of the TV series thinking that the book would spoil it for me but I did and to my shock, the book is different when it comes to the storyline. True, the characters are the same and some of the settings (like the prison and the farm - these two are in the book as well) but what they go through in the books are different from what they suffer in the series. For those out there thinking the books or the TV series would spoil the other, you are wrong. At the time of writing this, the two are not completely related except the characters.

With that out of the way, the book does a splendid job of juggling between zombies chomping and human brutality in a world where the living come back from the dead. Different characters have different back-stories that just doesn't make them extras in a book but a person you 'may' relate to.

One thing I may add here which I don't think a lot of reviews have touched here. The storyline is not for the weak of heart. There are underlying tones of suicide, torture, rape and many other crude stuff. This is certainly not the kind of book you would buy for your 13 year old nephew or grandson. Characters change and develop when they go through such horrors and how they overcome (or don't) is something that makes this book unique.

As for the compendium itself, its a collection of first 49 issues of the comic series still running strong. Its an excellent value for money. The book itself is split in chapters (not issues) so you won't be disturbed with pages that say 'End of issue One' that goes up to 49. Its a neatly compiled book gives you necessary breaks between chapters for you to catch your breath. On the service side, the condition of the book was neat, clean and the delivery was fast.

Overall, an excellent book for adults that is excellent value for money, considering you are not paying for 49 comic issues but one. Recommended for all mature comic book readers out there.
11 Comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Volume 5 contains editions 25-30 of the original weekly comic and starts with a much calmer group - Rick and the gang are reflecting on recent events, though there are tears being shed the overall feeling is that the prison is reaching a state which makes it pleasantly habitable. Scouting missions are going to be so much safer now that the riot gear Glenn found makes them zombie-bite proof. Plans are being made and for once it seems that our favourite bunch of zombie-survivors have a reason to be positive - the prison now has areas completely free of the undead roamers, and efforts to tidy up the place (burn the zombie remains) have progressed well, there's more space to live and there's even the prospect of movie nights!

But this is The Walking Dead, you never know what's around the corner ...or what's going to fall from the sky....

Like many zombie stories, the true horror of events isn't the undead - but the brutality shown by man to fellow man when the doodoo hits the fan. 28 Days Later did it brilliantly when the military leader (Christopher Ecclestone) promised his squaddies that he'd get them women, and who can forget the iconically callous end to Romero's Night Of The Living Dead? As society breaks down and reforms itself, those with the loudest voices become powerful and The Walking Dead provides us with a charismatic and twisted leader. readers familiar with the TV series know this is coming, but if you're new to this, prepare yourself for one of the greatest characters of the Walking Dead Universe.

I felt that the last couple of books had so much going on with various characters that it was difficult to keep track, I also felt that some of the dialogue and events weren't true to character and were thrown in for the sake of it. In Volume 5 we start at a steady pace, it's character-centric and continues to build on the inter-relationships between the cliques and personalities. But things soon ratchet up and the drama hits new levels of extreme - but this time it works with the story, it compliments the narrative journey and is infinitely more shocking as a result. I found some of the last few pages difficult to read, but The Walking Dead turns from soap-opera to outright horror in this volume. The artwork is sublime here, the events towards the end of this book are disturbing but thankfully not graphically visual. We get full page images, double page frames and changes of scenery which make this book stand out from any other since the first one.

In a nutshell: Fantastic storytelling, disturbingly brutal and an unconventional marriage proposal. This is the strongest volume so far, I'm glad I have the next few volumes to hand so that I can start them without delay, I reckon things are going to turn uglier though.
Volume 2 ended with Rick looking at the prison after a scrabble to find some kind of safe dwelling and muttering “It’s perfect. We’re home”, in Volume 3 we smash through the gates and see if redecorating the walls with zombie brains can turn the over-ran prison into a fortress away from danger…

It’s an opportunity too good to pass up – a prison, a facility designed to separate a group of people from the outside world, a facility with fenced off grounds for growing food and recreation, a facility with watchtowers and heavy metal gates and barred windows to make to make you feel untouchable. The task may be tricky but the reward is sanctuary. It’s a messy job but someone’s got to do it and although there is optimism in the air, there’s also tragedy. I’ve likened this to a soap opera in previous comments and elements of Volume 3 continue that approach, it’s perfectly depicted in a scene where the washing is being hung out and discussion turns to man trouble. Once again zombies are in the background and that’s pretty much where they remain whilst the book deals with the personal stories of the group we are beginning to know much better than before. Volume 2 sped through events and it was easy to be overwhelmed, in this volume there are more characters introduced but time is spent allowing them to interact. This is arguably the most grizzly volume of the first three and the true horror comes not from the the walking dead, but from within the group – and that’s a far scarier concept, especially when it looks as though they’ve finally found a place to feel safe.

The group now has some very close relationships, even the kids are starting to partner off! Life is continuing for the survivors and there’s considerably more shenanigans than in the TV series! It’s not a cozy love nest though and not everyone is enjoying a new romance. Rick starts to unravel, the toll of responsibility makes him go a little “Judge Dredd”. The group cling onto the idea of a secure environment but their leader seems a little unbalanced. When you start society anew you need rules. Where’s the moral compass when there’s no legal system?

Stylistically this looks superb, Volume 2 received some criticism but the 3rd Volume nails it. There are blacks fading to grey in the background to give sense of perspective and focus, this brings the prison to life. Also, the conversation between characters is much more natural now, not just that but through their conversation we see Rick’s plan to turn the prison into a thriving micro-community. Despite having to fell zombies and drag their bodies out to burn them, there is humour here and the conversations flow like they would between any group of friends/associates/family. It’s crucial that the characters are plausible if we’re to be drawn into their world, and there’s more depth here than ever before.

In a nutshell: A fantastic volume which starts with optimism and then challenges everything. Time is invested in character development and there are shocking moments which result in some very dark moments. I did notice a glaring spelling mistake (“somwhere”) – but I shall forgive it!
on 15 June 2014
I will start by saying that I am a huge fan of the show, I don’t know why, because every season the writers find new ways to break my heart. Maybe that’s why; the show makes me feel all the feels, all at once. Good shows make you scream at the TV, hide behind the coach and leave you in a snotty, sobbing mess on the floor after mid-season finales. So, with that being said I will inevitably compare the books to the show.

I picked up the comics simply to tide me over till season four starts up again. I needed a Walking Dead fix. Boy, am I glad that I did – they are so good. The books are a whole different animal to the show, sure, the basic premise is the same and so are most of the characters but they are different enough that the books do not spoil the show or vice versa.

The stories are faced paced and the characters are three dimensional. A word of warning – do not get too attached to any of the characters because horrible and horrific things happen to all of them, and not just at the hands (or teeth) of the zombies. You think the characters on the show suffer but the guys in the books get it worse.

I liked some of the characters much better in the books than in the show, like Lori and Andrea. There are a couple of characters from the show that I miss and that is Daryl and Beth, as they have showed such great character development that really adds to my enjoyment of the show. Speaking of character development, Carl in the books has none and remains a child almost uncorrupted by the fallen world around him. Whereas Carl in the show has come on in leaps and bounds – from an innocent little boy to an annoying brat in need of a good hiding to a young man who has become an important member of the group.

Then there's The Governor, I have never in my life, hated anyone as much as I hate that man. The fact that I hate him so much makes him such a great character – in the books and on the show. I can’t even form words to express how much I hate him, I can only growl and clench my fists, grrrrrr. I hate him so much that if I were to meet the lovely David Morrissey, I would require inhuman amounts of self-control to not punch him in the face. The cruelty in this man is just unbelievable (the governor not David). I can’t even fathom how a person does the things he does to another human being. The worse thing is that others stand by and do nothing as he commits his cruelties or they even help him.

These stories highlight the lies we tell ourselves and the blinkers we put on just so we can live comfortably and stay safe in our little bubbles. They also demonstrate the lengths and depths we will go to, to protect the ones we love. They show that even the best of us will do the wrong things for the right reasons and that doing bad things does not always make us bad people. The stories also reveal that those who want a zombie apocalypse are straight up crazy and would probably live in Woodbury with the crazy ass governor.

These comics are not only perfect for those who love AMC’s The Walking Dead, but for anyone who loves a good zombie horror. Even if you have never cracked open a comic book before and you think they are just for teenage boys and geeks, you should definitely give these ones a try. I am a thirty-something female and I adored these comics, they are only the fourth comic book/graphic novels I have ever read and I plan on reading many more. Such a great reading experience.
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 December 2015
I bought this for a Christmas present for my son and as I bought it back in October is it now not eligible for return. The reason I am not happy with it is because it has completely blank pages throughout Chapter 2. I should have checked before I wrapped it up but thought as it was from Amazon it would be okay but I urge future customers to check as it completely ruins the book and the story. I could have taken photos of many more pages like those attached. My son was completely gutted as you would expect and I am not very happy!!!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
11 Comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 December 2013
I read the first seven volumes of The Walking Dead a few years ago and then stopped until I got this volume for Christmas. I have to say, I'm surprised at all the five star reviews of this volume. I guess a lot of the people who wrote these reviews will already have been fans of the series so they would know what to expect when they picked this volume up.

It was good. Pretty good. But there were a couple of plot points that I felt were brought up and then left unexplained.

First of all, there is a whole page where the Woodburies are preparing to attack in which the Governor talks about waiting for a month or more, but that lapse of time isn't mentioned anywhere else. I found that a bit weird and I wonder if Kirkman was trying to fill out a page count.

Also, during the siege the Gov mentions a "pied piper" plan, which is never mentioned again and never comes to fruition. What was this plan and why did Kirkman choose to write it into the book if it wasn't going to happen? Was it to lure Michonne and the other guy to come after them? It certainly didn't seem like they were expecting that. I can understand wanting to leave the readers wondering what is going to happen and being unpredictable, but it seems like a strange choice to explicitly refer to something and then never go into it again.

Finally, the characters just didn't seem as compelling as I remember. The Gov just kind of seems objectively evil and is characterised as shouting NOW a lot. I thought we might see some kind of interesting parallels between Rick and the Gov because they'd both lost the same arm but that never developed which was kind of disappointing. I think it's a tough ask having to introduce new characters all the time and keep them interesting and authentic-feeling and for the most part Kirkman succeeds but it feels like maybe it is becoming difficult for him.

Basically if you've got this far and enjoyed it then you probably know exactly what you're getting and will also enjoy this volume. If you are looking at getting into the series however you might be warned that the characters seem to flatten out over time and Kirkman has the slightly annoying habit of introducing plot points which are never fully addressed (unless of course I am mistaken and they refer to things mentioned in previous volumes). Going back to the series after a few years away I have to say it isn't the most compelling comic I've read. It is enjoyable though so if you're looking for something to get into you might like this, however I would argue it's been a bit over-hyped by this point and might even go so far as to say the comic's success could be affecting the rigour with which Kirkman executes his stories and characters.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 November 2011
I beg to differ from the rave reviews - my main gripe being the artwork, which is average at best and in many cases I found it difficult to recognise key characters. The opening chapter's art work is pretty good but I am no fan after that... The story line is great though, daring, shocking and good fun. The characters are great and those who are fans of the tv series will likely enjoy this. But the art work really bugs me and hinders my enjoyment to the point that I feel obliged to award only three stars.
33 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse