on 1 June 2016
As a long-time Windows user who now uses Linux, and who is curious (but puzzled) about the command line of Linux, this little book is a welcome addition to my reading/study of Linux. There's enough basic stuff to make sense to me as a newcomer, and enough examples of how to use the command line to encourage me to have a go - always the best way to learn anything. But there's far more in this book than just a 'how-to for beginners'. Though there are introductions to web browsing and browsers, the book is jam-packed with command line commands and examples. The Kindle allowed me to search for 'permissions', as in file permissions, and explained just what that rwxr means, too. In fact I bought both the Kindle and the paperback, which has an excellent index, and is easy to flip through for what you seek. The paperback is a small book but with a clearly readable type face and size. A Guide to refer to, again and again. For this book the saying is true, that good things come in small packages.
on 24 June 2013
This book is exactly what it claims. An handbook for beginners to get used to command line. In hindsight I should have purchased a hard copy than the kindle version I did. It would make a good referencing material when stuck.
on 5 April 2013
I no longer review items because Amazon insists that you complete the comment section in full , and I do not wish to spend my time doing this unless I have had an exceptional experience. It means I can't actually enter my rating - which I genuinely want to do. Shame on you Amazon. As far as this item is concerned I would not given it a rating if I didn't like it.
on 3 February 2015