Top critical review
126 people found this helpful
Let down by poor SMART TV
on 9 July 2012
1) Very sharp, even standard definition is great
2) 3d is good - the 2d-3d conversion is great - I really didn't expect this to work!
3) remote is easy to use
4) HD Freview tuner is good.
1) SMART TV is slow to load - expect this to take 30s+ from standby (the TV turns on quickly but if you are turning the TV on to use the SMART features, best go make a cup of tea. If you have already been into the SMART interface, returning to it is quick
2) The 3D flickers at the periphery of vision this can be distracting - but you forget after a while that the flickering is there if you get immersed in a film
3) the 3D is 'into the screen' - so don't expect things to be flying out at you
4) The SMART Apps are very poor, most don't recognise the optional QWERTY keyboard (e.g. searching youtube requires that you use the original remote and onscreen keyboard) many of the apps refuse to 'see' the keyboard at all, so you will be reaching for the remote very often.
5) BBC iPlayer (pre installed APP) doesn't work, it will say that the TV needs a firmware upgrade but the TV thinks it is up to date.
6) Support is VERY poor, I emailed Samsung support (about point 5) and they were not helpful, so I called them, the man said that the firmware for the 'on-line' install was out of date and said he would send a link so I could download it manually and update via a USB stick, he was confident this would solve the issue (sounded like it was a common problem) - but I never got the email with the link in! - BBC iPlayer continues not to work.
7) The SMART Aps interface doesn't allow you to change the top 2 rows of icons (the big ones), this is annoying because most of them I will never use (or cant use - see point 5)
8) The web browser did not work out of the box it said it was updating but always failed with an error 'ERROR_EXE_001' this took 3 days of continually re-trying to update until the problem was fixed - which seemed to be server availability at Samsung (Early morning UK time worked for me)
9) so far the TV has turned off unexpectedly once and the tuner reported no signal from my aerial once (a power on/off solved this) so it doesn't look that reliable
10) The Smart TV seems to show you adverts on the interface home page (top right corner) - just something to consider if you are used to the TV being a passive device, the SMART TV is closer to a mobile phone in that it uses your viewing habits to market to you - I guess - expect to agree to many 'privacy policies' (I.E. Agree to allow Samsung and all the App suppliers to know what you are watching and when) if you want to take advantage of the SMART TV.
In summary, picture is brilliant, but if you are buying the TV for the internet access and SMART Apps, don't, you will be very disappointed, get a cheaper TV and a Laptop / tablet instead!