on 18 November 2012
I was very pleased with my Asus Eee PC 1015CX to start with. It lived up to all expectations based on the reviews I had read, and it was easy to order from Amazon and arrived promptly. Battery life is excellent, the netbook is lightweight, the keyboard easy and comfortable to use, and the blue colour is just gorgeous!
However, after a month, one day on switching it on, a thin purple line appeared the full height of the screen, about 30mm from the left hand edge. This line has continued to appear on all screens from then on, so now I have the hassle of returning it for repair/exchange.
on 14 May 2014
I love my netbook, I can use it anywhere and I don't have to go to the computer to do things. I can sit in the lounge and not miss my soaps It is so simple to carry around with you.
I got mine to take on holiday. I can take pictures and keep in touch with my family and friends. I got it in the time they said it would take to deliver. R.
on 1 December 2012
Forgive me for the background story - I select all my portables on the basis of maximum battery life and this was bought as a replacement for my much beloved Samsung NC10 Netbook which I had originally upgraded to 2GB RAM. That Samsung unfortunately was blighted by the infamous "white screen" issue and had become virtually unusable towards the end and looked like a Mad Max gadget thanks to my technical attempts to solve the issue, not to mention chronic left hand pain and increasing deformity for me having to twist the screen to get any sort of image! To its credit, despite using a now ancient Intel Atom N270 CPU, it was fairly nippy, especially with the extra RAM and I could run MS Office 2007 with the best of 'em. It could also play most movies back with sound in synch except for movies taken direct from a camera. Upload to You Tube and it would be smooth though.

Which brings me onto the Asus Eee PC 1015CX. Its battery life seems to be excellent and it has a bright, vibrant and clear screen which was an unexpected bonus. It is also light, seemingly well made and designed and satisfying to the touch with user friendly materials and nice textures for the plastics used underneath. That, sadly, is where the good news ends.

I will never for the life of me understand why the ch**** at AsusTek (a highly respected company by the way) saw fit to restrict the memory upgradeability of this machine. It has 1GB soldered on and that's it. No memory upgrade slots, no nothing. Want a memory upgrade? Their message to you is G.A.F.Y. as Michael O'Leary of Ryanair would say.

So therefore, the machine must work brilliantly on just 1GB and no more, right? Seeing as so many brilliant Taiwanese minds have pored over and contemplated it from every angle....right?

Well yes, provided you have the patience of ancient stone statues and get a special pleasure from watching a blinking blue hard disk light for hours on end before anything happens. The whole thing locks up like lock-jaw and you might as well go away, have your dinner and come back.

And this is virtually straight out of the box by the way. I haven't installed anything else on it other than the Google Chrome browser and activated Trend Micro anti-virus by the way and the thing already runs on bootup at between 75 and 85 percent memory usage. It lives, plays and splashes about in the swap file in other words, as if its halcyon days were to be found there. This is the reason why I haven't bothered to even install MS Office on it yet. I doubt it could cope although it allegedly has a far more powerful Atom processor than my ancient Samsung.

It is sadly gathering dust now somewhere. I don't particularly mind that it comes with a penny-pinching Windows 7 Starter which doesn't even allow you to change the background but the instability indicated by the constant Adobe Shockwave failures in both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome did it for me.

This thing is practically unusable and Asustek deserves to be punished for inflicting brainless stinginess on its products. Some idiotic manager needs to be fired and things may improve once again. I hope....
on 20 November 2012
This is an excellent product and does everything I want, with exception to BlueTooth. I thought I was buying a model that has this but it later turns out that it does not. I had to purchase a seperate BlueTooth dongle that takes up one of the USB ports.
on 15 May 2012
I'm a Mac person really but wanted a netbook to access emails - internet etc. Couldn't afford an iPad.
This is a great little thing, bit slow compared to a Mac but does what I want it to. With a 32GB SD card you can download buckets of stuff even though it's got a 320GB drive.
No complaints so far.
on 19 December 2012
I bought this as a handy little thing to do my degree course on whilst using sometimes at work. Sadly if you're used to using half decent computers you will be disappointed.

The first claim of "No more waiting - Instant On in 2 seconds" is true, but is sadly followed by another 2-3 minutes of unusable performance whilst the startup programs are initializing. I instantly removed all of the usual Asus addons which aren't doing anything but making the netbook slower to no avail.

Once you've turned it on, went for a shower & got changed you're ready to start using it, obviously a netbook should be bought for surfing the internet. This definitely won't be much use for... well, anything else.

As a little test - with just this tab open I've just hit My Computer, which with nearly no additional programs added to the computer since receiving, it took a whole six seconds from hanging to all icons showing, personally releasing a netbook which feels so unresponsive is a mistake.

I would say if you're looking to buy this just for surfing the web then it will probably fulfill all of your needs, sadly it can struggle on youtube or using bbc iplayer full screen. Trying to use it with any graphically demanding programs is also impossible, photoshop or autocad for instance are unusable.

While I have a really good desktop sitting on my desk I don't think I'll be using this in the house very often which could lead me to slowly not using it to the point of it being a waste of money.

For the money, you could get a 15" laptop which could do a lot more.
on 24 January 2017
WORTS NETBOOK EVER. Sloooooooooooow starting, can't handle more than 2 programs open at the same time.
on 14 May 2015
i was plesently surprized how good this was does most things recommend
on 11 February 2013
I wanted a netbook for uni (for word docs, browsing) as my good laptop is extremely heavy. This was an excellent choice, does exactly what it says on the tin. Memory is not great but definitely usable, though we'll see if it deteriorates over time. Wish I'd been told: Windows starter doesn't let you have a desktop background! But you can download software to change this.
on 9 March 2013
Had one before that got destroyed! Quick to set up and works straight away.
Proper keyboard makes use easy. Great for emails and fast enough that photos can be displayed. Use it tethered to a mobile phone and have traveled extensively with it.