on 26 July 2013
Do not buy this product as its poorly built and will not last long unless your prepared to spend some time mending it. the inside is made of flimsy plastic casing that is holding the main connector together by 2 small plastic clips at each end that can easily break.

was taking this off the USB Slot in a pc when it broke off one of the clips and casing has come off even with light pressure. It may look rugged outside but whats the point when its flimsy inslide.

Waste of money.
on 15 September 2013
The flimsy design is just atrocious, every time I want to take out the usb of a usb port on a pc, the actual inner usb manages to stay and the casing comes off, this is such a nuisance as it could physically damage the usb. This means every time ive taken it out i spend like half an hour trying to put the casing back on. Do not buy this product, it has only lasted me two months and has been about a month of the casing fatigue, its pricey and not worth it.
on 24 December 2012
I use this mainly for backups. Plugged into a USB3.0 port, it is blazing fast. I haven't compared it to other USB3 devices but it's as fast as I could want it to be, to be honest.

The rubbery design is nice, and I sometimes pick it up, over the other random objects on my desk, just to spin it around in my hands.

The cap is only held on with friction and could get lost if it came off, which might be a minor concern if you have it on a keyring or something.

My only complaint is that my USB3 port takes some force to unplug things from, and I can feel the USB plug on this moving around inside the case if I wiggle it in certain ways. Maybe this is normal, and just a result of the rubber coating having some give compared to the solid internals. It certainly has not broken or caused any problems so far, it just makes me worry about how I handle it. But until/unless something actually goes wrong, I won't deduct any marks for that.

(I remember people saying the plastic back to my old phone felt fragile when the material was actually incredibly strong, despite being flexible, and in the end stood up to several years of abuse without so much as a scratch, so I know how something feels can be very different to how it actually is.)
on 25 September 2013
This was a super fast drive and seemed to work well until one day, I had problems accessing it and found controller errors and a disk problem in event viewer. Informed customer support as it has a warrenty, they adviseed me to update chipset and engineer then recommended BIOS update. I bought a new Patriot drive to copy over the data but Patriot customer support refused to refund me for the faulty one. I had only had it for a short while but now I have two drives; one of which is triggerng error messages. I paid for two to use one.

They closed the case so I won't even get a replacement, even if the BIOS update shows the drive is faulty, rather than the motherboard.

I assume that everyone else has lots of computers to copy over lots of data should an external drive or USB stick fail and one needs a temporary place to back up.

I found customer support upsetting. I felt customers needed to know as I don't wish others to go through this. If a Patriot drive goes wrong, you either lose the data, have to buy another drive to copy and return for a replacement, or copy the unreliable drive to your computer for a while. If it has space and you know it's not goign to fail etc.

Maybe I was just very unlucky with the agent.
on 7 October 2012
Other reviews have already covered the great performance of this drive, it can't be faulted on it.

I purchased one of these drives back in May, 5 months later and it's on its last legs. The problem is two-fold in the cheap casing design, the rubber cap doesn't grip particularly well to the port it covers; I had to remove it so that I didn't permanently lose it after finding it several times at the bottom of my pocket. Obviously this leaves the port exposed to the elements. Furthermore last night, the 'chip' itself came out of the rubber casing when removing it from a USB port - leaving the naked board sitting connected. Obviously the glue used to seal it had worn very quickly. The board itself will 'kind of' work sometimes when plugged into the PC, but it's a bit hit and miss, I'd say it's a goner.

The pen-drive has sat on my keyring for 5 months, and for this purpose I'd say it's unsuitable. If you're aware that this drive isn't particularly robust I'm sure it could last you properly, but the keyring fob on the drive speaks to the manufacturers original intention of its use - and for that, it's just not good enough.

I've just gone through RMA, and Amazon are sending out a new drive. They can't be faulted.

I'll report back if the same problem occurs. When it works, this drive flies and has provided me with a robust portable OS. I just hope the next one lasts a bit longer.
on 30 November 2012
I bought 2 of these for my partner recently , from a local shop (not Amazon) they delivered similar speed to others that have reviewed them and are reasonably well put together ,with no problems in use . personally I use Supertalent, usb pendrives, as speed is important to me , they are however relatively pricey , but I get 160+MB/s consistantly read speeds and writing at around 60 MB/s with the worse I have seen around 58 MB/s . much faster than most drives including the above one , though not the fastest either .
on 17 May 2013
When I first used it I got fast speeds for the money via USB 3.0.

Fast forward about 30 uses, and it stopped working in all USB 3.0 ports (on multiple computers). It still works via USB 2.0 though.
on 9 May 2014
Whilst I don't have any USB 3 ports in my current PC, hence I don't really know how well this USB flash drive performs in its optimum environment, it does perform quite nicely in a USB 2 port, so it's a good future-proof purchase anyway.

Pros:

* The rubber exterior both looks good and seems substantial enough that you'd likely struggle to break this USB flash drive if you tried.

* The capacity and performance seem good for the price.

* The cap protects the USB connector from dust etc.

* It has a hole in the top, so you can put it on a keyring.

Cons:

* The cap is easy to misplace, although you can put it on the other end, if it's not attached to a keyring.

* Over USB 2, I see write speeds of about 22MB/sec and read speeds of about 34MB/sec, when transferring large files. I thought the speeds might be a bit higher, but perhaps I was just optimistic about what USB 2 can do.
on 1 June 2012
I alrady had a USB2 Patriot flash drive (8GB) so I knew how fast these are and I wasn't disappointed with this USB3 version.

I get 75+ MBps reading from it and crucially (because I'm using it to watch TV shows from on my media player) I get fast write speeds (around 17 to 20 MBps) so I can load it up quickly and not have to wait.

It also performs well on USB 2. Although the read rate is capped by the USB port, the writes are very fast compared to other drives I have. They usually max out at 9 MBps, but this drive give around 14 MBps through a USB 2 port.

Patriot seems like a good make, from my (limited) experience.
on 12 October 2014
I've had 4 of these. One wouldn't work in a USB 3.0 port and would only work in USB 2.0. One had the port and PCB detach from the rest of the body, when used in a tight USB port. There's not much holding them in, just 2 small plastic clips. The ones I have no issues with do work and work well. The transfer speeds are excellent and the rubberised casing does feel rugged. The device gets hot when used for long periods of time. The cheaper drives are worth a look. I don't think I would be investing in the more expensive high capacity ones given my experience with quality control. Patriot support were not much help when it came to returning the faulty unit. Amazon were great though and shipped a new unit out promptly.