Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 January 2013
I'm a huge fan of Hardline (always have been) and desperately wanted to love this... but it's average at best. The last album 'Leaving The End Open' was fantastic with some great tunes, melodies and songs but this is nowhere near as good. Each song has the same drum fills and beats and starts to annoy after a few tracks, guitars are formulaic AOR, the mix is a bit muddy and tracks start to sound a bit 'samey' after a while
ItThe only redeeming feature is Joey Gioelis amazing voice and vocal expression - but the songs are ultmately very forgetable.

A rather large dissapointment to be honest....hopefully Johnny will go back to writing his own stuff, getting a solid set of musicians around him who can bring some creativity to the table!!
on 23 July 2015
It took me a long time to muster up the motivation to buy this album. With reviewers saying things like "Not as good as their other albums" I didn't exactly have high hopes. The last two albums have been OK, but ultimately haven't survived for a huge amount of time in the 'recently played' section of my MP3 player. Double Eclipse on the other hand is still there, some 20 years later. So just for the sake of it I finally took the plunge and man have I regretted waiting this long, what an album!
Quite frankly, I was getting very tired of hearing Josh Ramos's style of playing and it has made such a refreshing difference NOT to have him on this album! There are some great melodies, above average lyrics and of course incredibly powerful vocals. Johnny Gioeli is a machine, reaching notes I can only dream of and sounding as good, if not better than he did 25 years ago with their first album. His voice always seems to be a bit 'Too' faded into the mix with hardline albums, but they seem to have got it just right with this one. But where they've got it right in one area, another area suffers - and that seems to be the case with the guitars. Whoever they got to fill in for Ramos is an absolute beast with some of the most impressively accurate soloing I've heard in a good while. Where the sound of the soloing is nice, the riffing and chords just don't have that aggressive crunch that made the first two albums so awesome. And the problem isn't just that the sound is a bit too faded into the background, its also that there isn't really any decent riffing. In fact, it doesn't really sound like any effort at all has gone into creating some decent riffs - or even decent original chords changes. Whether this was a limitation given to the guitarist or whether there were time restraints I don't know - but judging by the quality of soloing, I would bet that there were limitations. This makes each track a bit predictable and formulaic - but I'm writing from a musicians perspective who listens to Dream Theater and Symphony X - so that probably won't be an issue for most pop rock listeners!
Overall this is one of the best modern hard rock releases I've heard in a long while and there really is a lot of energy in it. Already I think I've listened to this album more than I have with "II" and "leaving the end open" so I think this is probably my second favourite album. Its a good solid album with no fillers, well worth getting - and important to keep supporting these die hard bands that are fighting to keep good music alive!
on 8 July 2012
Well worth a listen, tune full easily recognisable as Hardline, not the heavyset thing around fortunately but loud enough, if you like your rock melodic with lyrics you can understand check this out.
on 12 July 2012
great realease the best hardline cd by far.the new band members make this i great melodic rock album.not a bad track on the cd
on 13 July 2013
I cant take this album out of my stereo, its that good! The 1st half is as good as there first cd 'Double Eclipse'. Johnny gioeli's vocals are spot on and the albums well written. Shame that its not the same band as the 1st album, but the future of Hardline is in safe hands with the new band. Check it out, you wont be disapointed!
on 18 September 2014
I just can't stop listening to the new album! Especially the songs 'Fever Dreams', 'Danger Zone', 'Never Too Late For Love', 'Stay' and 'Please Have Faith In Me'. There are plenty of juicy cuts for us Rockers to sink our teeth into, and savour. Hardline has made this a very strong record.
on 23 May 2012
all that can be said is that if you like hardline and awesome melodic rock, then you'll like this. what i'd like has to be my fave track on here.
on 29 July 2016