Format: Audio CD|Change

Electric Guest are a Los Angeles-based band consisting of Asa Taccone, Matthew Compton, and the brothers Todd and Tory Dahlhoff - importantly, this album is produced by Danger Mouse (Brian Joseph Burton) who has worked with some true greats and incidentally has already produced some of my favourite albums (The Grey Album, Brothers). This is their first album and has garnered them a spot on MTV's Artist-to-Watch list.

The Album kicks off with the synthy-reggae inspired 'Holes' which is a good track, but fails to hint at what is coming. 'This Head I Hold' is an extremely-upbeat, piano-riffed, neo-soul classic with Taccone providing some androgynous soul vocals that you will struggle to get out of your head all day long - this is the first single. This song always makes me smile and it's near-impossible not to move to it when listening!! It's not all sweetness though, the album drifts through some bluer points, 'Amber' is an ethereal tune, sounding more like a lament than a tribute all the while mixing ghostly guitars with some fading in and out synth-melodies.

The epic, near-nine-minute 'Troubleman' changes tempo and emphasis throughout it's sinuous course, but has become something of an instant favourite with it's blues styling and Hotel-California-style sadness. The second single American Daydream is good, but no-where near as good as the final track Control, which has dub-stylings and an extremely funky guitar accompaniment.

Taccome's voice is incredibly versatile lending itself to the soul-stylings and rockier tracks equally well. It's worth noting that this is the brother of one of the member of The Lonely Island and this might explain the slightly random music videos the guys have on Youtube at the moment. But please don't let this detract from the music as Electric Guest truly are a force in their own right.

So all in all, a bit of a pastiche of various styles - there is soul, funk, synth, dub and even a bit of reggae ton all thrown into this electric melting pot. But it's execution is simply fantastic meaning that I haven't be able to stop listening to it since I bought it. Highly recommended for a refreshingly different listen.
on 22 June 2014
Got this cd purely because of Ikea ad on tv ( one of tracks used on ad track 2 ) a catchy tune ! The bonus was other tracks are just as good ! Never heard of this band before but worth every penny spent on cd !
on 20 June 2014
Having heard The Head I Hold on the advert and loving it, I decided to purchase the album. I have not been disappointed at all. I love every track and there have been none that I wanted to skip. It is totally different from anything I usually listen to but I can thoroughly recommend it.
on 28 March 2013
I bought this album as I'd heard some tracks on Sunday Brunch that I liked. Really pleased with all of it. Have been looking for something different and this fitted the gap. A talented band in all respects
on 25 November 2014
I first heard 'This Head I Hold' from this album on the Ikea advert and was instantly impressed with the tune and beautiful singing voice of Asa Taccone. That song has a kind of 'Northern Soul' feel about it which appealed to me. The rest of the album is lovely too.
on 2 August 2014
Absolutely loved this CD, had never heard of this group until the catchy Ikea advert hit the TV with its quirky tune, made my look it up on-line and ended up parting wit some cash to listen to the rest of the tracks whilst in the car, well worth it in my opinion.
VINE VOICEon 15 December 2014
I was watching an advert on TV. It was for the Swedish home products company, IKEA. It had a catchy theme song accompanying it, and after a while, I decided to find out about that song. I had always thought that it might be a female vocalist, and given the company, a Swedish group. It was neither. The song was performed by an American group from Los Angeles, Electric Guest, and as recently as 2012. The singer, Asa Taccone, was definitely male, and the jazzy feel, combined with the fresh sound from a modern band of young men, made it stand out from the crowd.
I impulsively bought the CD, ‘Mondo’, that contained this track. As with a lot of recordings, this one was definitely the standout, no doubt why it was released as a single. However, the CD contained some other very interesting songs, and gave indication of serious talent.
Since used in another advert, this time for Ford Cars, it has obviously gained the interest of marketing gurus; and despite never appearing in the UK charts, the band has a small cult following. I have dropped one star for the very simple reason that not many of the tracks are anywhere near as good as the one that got me to buy it. But it is still very good.
on 14 September 2014
Enjoyed this CD, something different, listened to it on a long drive through France, so relaxing. Thanks Ikea for us bringing the song with ur ad or would not have pursued with the cd!
on 20 January 2013
First heard a snippet of 'This head I hold' on a tv programme and fell in love. Needless to say the album is fantastic and I'm finding it hard to choose a song as my fave! Buy it!!!
on 8 September 2013
What a great album, on first listen it sounds simple and straight forward, nice little hooks and arrangements but after a few more plays it starts to reveal many layers.All the songs possess strong melodies, are sung well with interesting backing and concise duration except for 'Troubleman' which is a standout and incredibly atmospheric with thought provoking lyrics.Great production from Dangermouse makes this an addictive listen, not sure what genre this is but if you like music you'll love this!