Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now New Album - Depeche Mode Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 18 September 2015
I watched this DVD after discharging myself from hospital which wanted me to have a bypass. It was part as finding out as much as I could about heart attacks and Forks over Knives proved invaluable. It led my to Caldwell Esselstyn and Professor Campbell and have since read all their books. I have now been on the whole foods plant based way of eating for 18 months with no serious heart symptoms. My cholesterol is 3.8 with no statins. It is a great shame that the NHS and British Heart Foundation do not even mention this peer reviewed treatment as an option. It is obviously not for everyone who has cardiovascular disease but I suspect a significant minority would go for it once they learn that it can be a complete cure. The NHS could also save a lot of money.
At first the diet seems a real blow as there are foods that have to be given up but over time tastebuds begin to change and the food begins to taste lovely. So much of the standard western diet is addictive. I just watch these addictions pass and they always do . The trade off is a much improved sense of well being.
Eat to Live or Live to eat. What a good question!

Eat to live or live to eat. What a good question.
11 Comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2013
We embarked on the Plant-based, wholefood eating experience just over a month ago after watching "Forks over Knives" on DVD. We were carnivores with a weakness for Chinese takeaway.
I was a little concerned about 'what' we were going to eat but this cookbook answered all the questions and opened the door to a whole world of taste!
The recipes are well written and clear, and easy to follow for a UK based reader. The emphasis is on using fruit, veg and wholegrains instead of meat substitutes and bought in sauces. I have found that a slow cooker is invaluable for preparing dried beans and also for cooking chillis, soups and curries. I'm buying a Vegan slowcooker recipe book next.
The biggest revelation has been the sauces - "No cheese" sauce = delicious. I thought I would be pining for cheese by now, but I'm not even missing it. Using tofu as a basis for sauces such as roasted red pepper and coriander is a brilliant "cheat".
There is plenty of information in this book for a beginner and loads of inspiration for seasoned plant-based cooks. If you are new to this way of eating..get this book. BUT be prepared to spend a lot of time preparing food as you are foregoing "convenience and fast food". It is worth it.
11 Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2015
Great recipes and loved the film but the books are all a bit dull. Don't want to sound like a child but there are no pictures... It's just a big file of recipes and I do think that there should be some pics for the tastebuds to get going and the imagination started up!
on 8 November 2015
From the original film that will you inspire you to make changes in you life.
Four month in of only eating a plant based diet, three stone lighter.
I believe we all come to a point in our life, where there are two choses.
Carry on or change!
on 30 July 2015
I bought this book because I have recently started the Overcoming MS diet which means wholefood, mainly vegan cooking with very little fat. This book has been my absolute saviour - the recipes are easy to follow, and once you get in some storecupboard staples, aren't too elaborate like many cookery books of this kind. The food tastes good and once I got the hang of it, I was cooking all my own sauces etc from scratch and they were so tasty I amazed myself! I thought I'd never be able to have properly nice food again but this book has proven me wrong - lots of my dishes are tastier than before :) I feel like this has been a culinary journey of discovery for me (e.g. you don't need to use fat to fry onions!!). My advice is, if you're interested in following this kind of diet, this is THE book you need.

So grateful to the author for helping me stick to the plan I need to be healthy - thank you.
on 1 January 2013
For me this was definitely a five star cookbook. I enjoyed experimenting with the recipes and some of the many foods used in the recipes that I hadn't tried before.

The reviews I read for the book that criticised the fact that US measurements are used didn't worry me as I easily found a conversion chart. The same goes for the names of the foods. I haven't found any glaring errors in any of the recipes, but then I am the sort of cook who uses recipes as a guide only and tends to rely on my own taste testing as I go along.
on 24 March 2013
The original DVD should be a compulsory view for all humans on the planet. You will never look at food the same way again. Agricultural practices, food processing and the meat industry are conspiring in a perfect storm to shorten our lifespans through increased incidences of cancer, heart disease and the big and growing silent killer of diabetes. The link between these "western" diseases and "western" diet is irrefutable.
If you are really interested read "The China Study" but it is 600 pages. The Forks Over Knives DVD is 1.5 hours and tells you most of what you need to know.
This book will help you on your way to a better diet, a lot of good recipes using ingredients you shouldn't have much problem finding. Just don't expect to see a lot of meat in it !
11 Comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 May 2013
An eye opener and I have been following the principles loosely for 4 weeks. I feel great and have lost 14 pounds already.
on 31 December 2014
simple, delicious and healthy recipes. Try the banana cake recipe and marvel how you can make such deliciousness with no eggs of butter. Add chocolate chips if you feel too worthy with the recipe are written (I did).
on 12 December 2013
This is a good buy, full of great recipes - but it lacks pictures! I like a cookbook that has a photo picture for every dish, but sadly this book doesn't have that. The recipes are very easy to follow though, so it's not a problem really, just an annoyance. Overall this is a great addition to my cookery book shelf