Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 2 January 2014
I absolutely loved this book! Loved it so much I had to switch to text to speech and walked around with it whilst doing my work. I shall definitely be searching for other books by this talented author. I gave it 5 stars as that was the maximum I could give it..it would have been more otherwise. To think that I only came upon it while searching for a different book and it was showing as what others purchased as well as the book I was after..so glad I discovered it. It's right up my street as I am addicted to the paranormal but this book had the added bonus of being a mystery story as well. Would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a storyline that keeps you interested all the way through. Bravo Mr. Wakeling
on 6 June 2016
really struggled to get into this.What doesnt help is the very wooden, stilted writing style; it also goes from one scene directly into the next with no definitive pause such as a new chapter or even simply a few blank lines to signify moving on to a new scene. This is very confusing at first but after a few occurrences you come to expect it. This needs alot of editing work to make it up to an acceptable standard to read and could do with a total rework;particularly the ending which was very poor and did not leave me with a sense that i understood what had happened. Wont be reading any more in this series as nit nearly engaging enough for me.
on 3 November 2012
This is a great first novel, very descriptive and well thought out, that you almost feel you are there in that little bookshop, sinking into a sofa with a coffee warming your hands and the fire warming your feet. It links five main characters, and we get to see the story from their perspective, before it brings them all together in the end.
It is book one of a series, so the story continues.
If you like thrilling suspense with a paranormal twist, then this book is for you
on 1 June 2012
I never normally write book reviews but after being drawn into this fantastic book I felt I had to comment. From the very beginning the book is very descriptive and paints a very vivid picture of Ridgewood and its inhabitants. The characters are very likable and easy to relate to. I found myself unable to put this book down and was eager to learn what was going to happen. The fantasy and slightly supernatural happenings throughout the book also add even more intrigue. A brilliant book! I can't wait for the next one in the series to be released.
I have always been a great fan of supernatural novels since I started reading them as a boy in the early fifties and over the years have amassed a large collection, mainly paperback copies and I am now replacing those available as e-books with Kindle Editions. This re-organisation has also given me the chance to revisit books that I have not read for a while and catch up with new books in the collection.

I had not read this book previously nor did I know the author. This is not really a supernatural or horror story, but more of a gentle adult fairy-tale despite the regular dead bodies. The storyline is quite good but the telling more than a little bland without any real tension or action.

The feeling is that this was a pre-amble to a possible sequel rather than a stand alone novel.

A simply written easy read, I got through it in a single evening.
on 23 August 2012
A real page turner...It`s in the sci-fi section but do not be fooled, this is a mystery/horror affair from beginning to end. Some of the scarier parts sent a chill down my spine. Brillantly descriptive an excllent frist novel. I look forward to the next book in the series.
on 24 September 2014
this was a free download from an author new to me. the reviews i read were very disparate and on reading the book i can understand why. this is probably the most confusing book ive read.....not in the storyline, but in that its almost impossible to rate. there is a lot wrong with it, from silly minor spelling errors to whopping grammatical and contextual blunders, but the basic idea is pretty original and there are some decent atmospheric moments. it could have a good third of the text taken out without detriment and the characters could be much stronger, but (again), there is something about it that kept me reading. ive wracked my brain but cant put my finger on it. i can totally undrstand why some readers have given this 5 stars and others 1. with some heavy editing by an expert i think this could be really good and that as a series would work well for all readers rather than divide (or possibly confuse) opinion. i admit i wont be paying for part 2 even though the price is reasonable enough but my own opinion is that the author definitely has some talent. i would love to see the book revised as i am interested in what happens in gathin and the synopsis for parts 2 and 3 are promising and i would pay for this writers work if the editing was done well. not a very helpful review i fear, as i think this is one you have to try for yourself. at least whilst book 1 is free theres no harm giving it a chance!
on 13 August 2013
Roberta Arlington finds a dead pupil in the corridor of the school where she works and her fate is sealed. An ancient curse makes the isolated community of Ridgewood a dangerous place to be.
I really enjoyed the setting of this story. The town, the school, the bookshop, all make a very fitting backdrop to the build up tension as the curse returns for its next victim. I also liked the easy writing style, quite a complex story is clearly told.
Although I am not a great fan of fantasy, inside Evil provided, for me, a good mix of creepy horror and I particularly liked that it was happening to very believable and ordinary characters.
After the death of the student, Roberta comes to realise that she is next in line for the curse. A cast of characters already touched by the curse, slowly come together, along with long-time and loyal friend, Sam to aid Roberta in her final bid to save her own life.
This is the first in a series that obviously continues the same story and, honestly, that would usually put me off a little. However, there is a conclusion of sorts, and my interest has been piqued to find out more so I will definitely be reading on!
on 28 April 2013
The plot was interesting but felt it wasn't explained very well. A lot of unanswered details. It was ok for a free book.
on 14 September 2013
This is a bit of a strange story, but a really good one; an enjoyable read. It has a bit of a slow start, but when it picks up will capture your interest and keep it until the end.