on 4 August 2012
After spending 2 weeks of researching TVs I decided to go for the LG 37LS5600, based off features and excellent user reviews. I wanted a TV that was 1080p LED, with 3 HDMI inputs, without any requirement of smart or 3D TV and this ticked all the boxes.

Picture
From the second I plugged this in I was amazed by the punch and colour in the pictures, a big improvement from my old LCD TV. HD content from my blu ray and Xbox is very sharp and I couldn't notice any artefacts or motion blur during fast scenes. I use a Humax free view box which upscales to HD and the picture from that was sharp, clear and full of colour. The only gripe I would have but is not a problem for me is this only comes with built in freeview and not freeview HD the picture from the TVs freeview was a bit poor being standard definition. This was at a viewing distance of about 3 meters and wouldn't be as noticeable at further distances.

Being an LED lit TV I was expecting to see light bleed on dark scenes, after watching a blu ray and hunting for light bleed I couldn't notice any that I thought would affect the picture.

Sound
I was not expecting much from sound due to how thin this TV is, but I was wrong. The speech is very clear as is music and movies. Obviously there isn't too much bass to the sound, but it isn't tinny sounding like other TVs from this price range.

Look and feel
The TV is thin and very stylish, its thin bezel makes it look much more expensive then it actually is. One thing I didn't notice before ordering was a silver strip running along the bottom of the TV, with sleek touch controls. Being thin doesn't effect the build of the TV, it feels rigid and the TV stand is reinforced with metal.

I have uploaded photos of the TV if you want to see more of it.
review image review image review image review image
66 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2012
I have a large summer house in my garden which has been fitted out to be an external living room and I needed something reasonably priced, not too large and with a good picture. I have a hardwired ethernet link to the summerhouse so this TV was intended, via the connection of my Vaio laptop, to show media content streamed from my server in the house.

I have friends and family who have brought LG and though I never have, I had always been impressed with the specification so I delved into it on this TV before purchase and was very surprised to see that at this price point it had DLNA connectivity via an ethernet network port. This tipped the balance in it's favour as DLNA is a feature usually reserved for most manufacturers flagship TV's.

Amazon delivered via Citylink within about 14 hours and the TV took about ten minutes to be ready to go; batteries in remote, attach stand and remove plastics. As you would expect with an LED TV it's very thin and very light; I carried it under my arm across the garden to place in the summerhouse. It looks are very minimalist, as with most these days, with a small screen surround in gloss black. The other nice thing about LED is that it required substantially less power than plasma or LCD so the PSU in the TV is very small and light requiring only a figure-of-eight power cord (supplied).

Having attached the network cable, power cable and audio out to amplification source the TV was a doddle to setup, finding my network, picking up a DHCP assigned IP address and verifying DNS serveres and a link to the outside world with one keypress on the remote. Once this part of the setup was complete (I won't be attaching an antenna for now though I am sure the Freeview setup will be as simple) I switched the input source to DLNA via the remote and to my amazement the TV is able to decode pretty much any of the common media containers. MP3 with high bitrates, MP4 movies encoded in H.264 and X.263 and even (this is the best bit) 1920x1080 encoded MP4's with high bitrate audio. Essentially, this just saved me about £400 which is the cost of building your own decent HTPC to do the same job. Okay there's no internet browser built in but given everything else on this TV I can forgive it that.

There are 3 x HDMI ports, 2 x SCART, 1 x Component In, 1 x RGB In, 1 x Optical Audio In (for SPDIF out on your laptop/HTPC), 1 x Optical out for your digital Amp, a USB port AND a PCMCIA type 2 slot. So, if you don't have network attachement simply put your MP4 movie onto an SD card, USB memory stick or Compact Flash Card in a PCMCIA holder and insert to view.

It looks to me like LG have build a very nice looking and highly functional front end sitting on an embedded Linux Kernel and the end result is a TV which gives a great, sharp and high contrast picture whislt brisstling with features that are usually reserved for plasma's of £700 and over.
44 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2012
User video review of the LG LS325600 (32 inch) full HD TV with DNLA
showing rear connections and video picture quality comparisons from standard,freeview and high definition sources, along with a description of some of the menu functions.

This TV provides a very good picture quality for the price and though the freeview channels it receives, are only in standard definition, it does a very good job of upscaling them to near HD standard. and the difference is not that noticeable on most programs.
The reason I chose this one, over the other competing models in it's price range , was it's 100hz refresh (motion clarity) rate, which the others didn't have and the fact, it has a swivel stand.
The sound is pretty good for this type of TV considering how little room they have to put speakers on them. It does have an optical audio out for connecting to external equipment and a headphone out as well.
Rear connections..............0.15
Remote ...........................1.02
Video quality comparisons.1.44
Main Menu.......................3.50
Quick Menu.....................5.58
I put this up, because when I was trying to research this TV, I couldn't find anything on it that wasn't in German, so hopefully it might be of some help.
There is a higher quality version of this on my you tube channel but I had to make a lesser quality version for here, because of Amazon's file size limitations.
1212 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2012
Picture
Put a Blu Ray film on and you'll not regret buying this TV. The size, picture, colour depth and different colour picture modes are flawless. The only problem is realising how bad standard definition TV really is!

UI
Not that the menu is a key player when choosing a TV, it is important. Luckily; this one's spot on!

DLNA / USB
The TV picked up my computer (Windows 7) and all of its films and music in seconds. HD/Blu Ray films stream fine too, which I was unsure or originally. My only gripe is that it doesn't pick up the folders. However, plugging an external HD straight into the USB slot on the back of the TV does pick up all of the folders :).

Sound
As with all flat screens, the sound isn't great. However, by fitting it up with one of these: LG BDH9000 5.1ch 850W 3D Blu-ray Home Theater System the setup was complete. The two systems work great with each other, and required no complicated setup or configuration. You just need an Optical cable.
99 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2012
This TV is great. The picture quality is flawless and the price is right. The reason for the low price is that It doesn't have 3D, WiFi, Internet and is not 'Smart'. But you can connect it to your home network and use you computer as a media server. It decodes Dolby digital so when connected to suitable AV amp you will enjoy 5.1 sound. The speakers on the TV are good but can only deliver stereo. Another nice touch is the 'clear voice' feature. No matter what the content, you can tune in to the spoken word. It's like magic. You can set up high bass but speech remains un-muffled at any volume. The picture controls are a tinkers dream, everything except geometry is adjustable. If that frightens you do not worry, use the 'intelligent sensor' which adjusts everything automatically to suit the lighting in the room. You always get a great picture. I only wish it had more HDMI inputs (3). If you don't want 3D and other fads, this is the one to get.
on 10 August 2012
This is my first flat-screen, HD TV and I knew very little about them before buying it. LG was recommended as a brand by a friend whose job is to train television journalists to use TV cameras. He has a lifetime's experience in television and knows what he's talking about, so I took his advice. Here's what I've discovered since.

This is a superb television. You only have to compare a few models in a retail store to see the quality of the LG's picture compared to some of the others on offer at this price range. Set-up is very easy. The on-screen instructions are uncluttered and simple to follow. If you need to tweak settings, it's easy to find your way around. The remote is compact and functional. In short, the TV is easy to use. And the sound is acceptable too in a fairly large living room, even without additional speakers. I was poised to buy a surround-sound system, but I'm not in quite so much of a hurry now. It can wait until I can afford it!

If, as I did, you take the TV home and plug it into a standard definition (SD) source (Sky+, in my case), you may start by feeling a little disappointed. You will probably have seen it displaying HD pictures in the store, and that will have set up your expectations for you. Over several days of viewing and internet research, I have learned that very few if any HD TVs in this price range are going to display SD pictures crisply, including this one. If you are "upgrading" from an old-fashioned CRT television, you will probably notice a degree of blurring or a lack of clarity on most SD channels. This is just how the technology works: HD screens like this reveal the relatively poor quality of SD pictures in a way that CRT televisions didn't. That's all there is to it, and I've accepted that it's something that has to be lived with until the technology improves or until all channels become HD. That said, there are some channels and some programmes which display very well on this TV, particularly material from the BBC. On very few SD channels does the picture seem to be as bad as some of the descriptions I have read on internet forums written by the frustrated owners of some other brands or models and, when it is, it's usually during re-reuns of 1970s sitcoms! In other words, this TV seems to cope well with the built-in deficiencies of SD broadcasting, making the best of a bad job about which none of us can do anything.

Any disappointment evaporates, though, when you plug the TV into an HD box. I've just had Sky+HD installed, and the difference in picture quality on the HD channels is absolutely stunning. As I write, we are roughly half way through the Olympics. I have been watching races and matches in SD on this new TV for a few days and have been grumbling about the picture quality, particularly when there is rapid movement on screen. But with HD, all that has changed. Every detail of every movement is clear. Fine-grain detail is razor sharp. Colours are well balanced. Contrast is good.

I should, perhaps, add that I am a photographer and that I am very sensitive to image quality. When working on a photo, I can spend ages fiddling around in Photoshop until every detail of the colour and tone feel right. That means that, like it or not, I am going to be very fussy about the picture quality of my TV; and I think I can say that I'm happy with this one.
on 8 June 2012
I didn't want 3D, my Blu-ray already has smart features and so this TV was exactly what I needed. Combined with my Sony Blu-ray and my Humax freesat HDR, this TV gives the best HD pictures I have yet seen. Great price as well for a 2012 model, sorry Amazon I got mine over 100 quid cheaper elsewhere. Would highly recommend this for those who don't want 3D or smart functions.
1010 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 August 2012
I have had it for two weeks now must say I absolutely love my new 42 inch LG LS5600! I wanted to buy a 40-42 inch screen for around £400 for my student flat and I didnt want 3D or any other fancy smart TV features - just a screen for watching movies and for gaming via HDMI from my laptop and PS3. From aesthetical reasons I wanted it to have thin border around the screen as. The ability to play movie files from usb was also a condition but it turns out to be a standard now.

I have looked at both Samsung's and Sony's LCDs in the same price range - Ive been to several shops asking for opinion and advice. It turns out that Sony's tvs aren't particularity good today as Sony sold most of its tv production facilities to Samsung recently. In terms of Samsungs sets (price range around £400) the built quality and sound quality suffer.

I was also told that apparently the TVs that Samsung and Sony are advertising as new for 2012 are actually made on 2-year-old technology...

The LG LS5600 has 3xHDMI compared to 2xHDMi in Sony and Samsung - the major advantage is that LS5600 has an HDMI slot on the side so you dont have to struggle to connect your camera or laptop via HDMI by having to dive behind the tv (very handy). I dont own an AV receiver so the number of HDMI slots actually matters to me.

The sound is surprisingly good for a thin tv like this. You can easily output it from the TV via headphone socket or digital optical output to your HiFi set or PC speakers for a boost in sound quality.

The stand the LG came with is very easy to attach. There is a pivot in the stand so you can turn the screen from side to side without having to turn the entire set to adjust it.
The User Interface is very straightforward and easy to navigate using the remote's d-pad. Colors are vivid and easy to adjust to fit one's taste in the settings.

As for the white 'spots' on the screen that some people mention, those are only visible when watching dark scenes (or especially cropped video that is not in 16:9 format) in dark room. This is not a fault but a normal thing with Edge LED lit screens - thats how the technology used in the tv works. Using edge LED lit screen the tv is thinner and relatively cheap. Full LED lit screen are waaay more expensive and out of my price range.

Totally recommend it! I doubt there is anything better on the market now in that price range and screen size!
on 11 July 2012
When I first found this TV, I was looking for a plasma to replace an ageing Samsung LCD panel. I liked the price and specification but wasn't sure about LED technology, not as high refresh rate and it would be as clear as plasma, however after being convinced by my wife that plasma would be A. Too hot with kids around and B. potentially burn the screen when she forgets to turn it off at night....we decided that an LED might be the way to go.
It was delivered quickly and once the wall bracket had arrivedi put it up, initial set up was easy, took 10 minutes and I was impressed with the picture on standard SD freeview, we then put on a bluray and the picture was out of this world...for DVD's blurays and gaming this TV is amazing, I can thoroughly recommend it.

I don't think it's as sharp a picture as a plasma would have been but for the money it's a very good TV, it has plenty of USB's and HDMI connections and with the DLNA system built in will stream films, music and picture straight from a laptop or PC.

All in all a good buy.
on 29 December 2012
I've previously owned the budget variety of LG's 42" LCD TVs. Unfortunately that one died completely after only 15 months. We got this as a replacement, and - wow - it's a massive upgrade. The picture quality is fantastic, very bright and vivid. The build quality is superb compared to the lower-end plastic models. This one has a very solid metal case and is overall much thinner. DLNA works well for me - if anything it's my router that fails at timmes. I found it easy to set up. Although I am quite techy, set-up was by no means complicated and I can now easily access the content on my home NAS server.

Overall this was an excellent purchase and I would recommend anyone to consider stepping up from the budget option. It's so worth it.