Customer reviews

The Kid With A Bike [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 5 August 2015
There should be no spoilers in this review.

After seeing a trailer for the film and being a fan of Cécile de France I knew this was a film I wanted to see. It isn’t for nothing that directors Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne are regarded so highly, and with the excellent Cécile de France playing one of the central characters in The Kid With A Bike, I thought I should be in for a very good film.

Although I would say that this is not a faultless piece of cinema and I can understand why some have called it overly sentimental etc, but if one can accept a certain amount of poetic licence, then this I would say is a remarkable film.

Thomas Doret who plays Cyril– the Kid of the title, gives a remarkable performance. It is a physical role as well as an emotional one, but Thomas Doret delivers both very convincingly. Cécile de France is also superb. In the Extra Features on the DVD she gives us some interesting information, she talks of her parents and the work they did when she was young, and of the rehearsals for the film – I don’t wish to give any spoilers for the film or for the extra features, but the interview with Cecile de France I would say is well worth a look.

We are not given any background history as to why characters behave in the way that they do, and their actions may seem implausible at times, but in the real world, implausible things do happen. The Dardenne brothers give us a very realistic looking film here – if you looked at any scene in the film you might well think that you were looking at documentary footage, and it is easy to see why it was given such high praise at Cannes in 2011 where it won the Grand Prix.

Realistic, good story, superb acting, directing and music, this is a film I know I will be watching again.

On the DVD you get:

The Kid With A Bike (1 hour 23 minutes)
Scene Selection
Special Features:
Featurette – Return to Seraing with Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne (32 minutes)
Trailer (2 minutes)
Interview with Cécile de France (18 minutes)

The Kid With A Bike and the Extra Features have optional English subtitles (with the exception of the Trailer which has embedded English subtitles).
on 18 March 2013
A moving portrait of a very unhappy child brilliantly and energetically played by the unknown actor, Thomas Doret.
Cecile de France is a most sympathetic actor and a pleasure to watch. Indeed there is no tendency to portray any of the care workers as unpleasant, in spite of the very difficult and provocative behaviour of Cyril. His father was also not totally unpleasant although his attitude to Cyril was hard to accept. One could understand his unfortunate circumstances.
A feel-good film which made it charming and 'sympathique'. Well worth watching. Another success for Dardenne
on 20 December 2012
A simple story, a simple idea, a simple film by all means, but one of the best french features I have seen lately and have even invested the money to own the blu-ray (reserved only for special titles :P)
on 4 January 2014
Thomas Doret and Cecil deFrance bring out the best in this story, something Hollywood can't do with millions of dollars.
on 2 January 2014
One of my favourite films of 2012, and one of the best films about kids I have ever seen - very true to life. Beautiful story-telling and acting.
on 4 August 2014
A bit of a tear jerker but a good film and perfect for Y7 to Y8s as well as well older pupils. A positive message about the dangers of getting involved in gangs.
on 12 March 2015
Very good satisfied
on 21 March 2013
Great story, good acting and very engaging. I was sad when it ended. And I was able to practice my French comprehension.
on 6 June 2015
A touching insight into a short time in the life of a troubled child and the range of adults he encounters and who either try to help him or hinder him.
on 16 July 2014