on 21 November 2012
David Mack returns to epic Trek novelling with the first book in his Cold Equations trilogy, which sees the Enterprise called to investigate a shocking theft/kidnapping and follows this up with some surprising, heart-warming and intriguing events that once again might just change the Trek universe forever.

Mack's style is strong and easy to read. I wanted to dive in and not stop reading, which is always a bonus, and was particularly frustrated in the middle section at having to stop reading to go to sleep or work. His grip on the characters is perfect and I really enjoyed the first-person parts of the narrative.

This book is particularly focussed on one character, and some of the others seem a little under-represented, but hopefully that will be resolved in the sequels. Mack ties in with a lot of things from the various TV series - one of which I'd been thinking about just a few days before reading which made it a nice reference to come across. He's also relying a lot on events from the novel 'Immortal Coil' which I have to confess not to have read (yet).

The one weak point I thought was the final chapter, which didn't seem to quite fit, and I would have appreciated a little more before it, but I can understand that it was needed to set the scene a little for what will follow. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for book two - David Mack has certainly reminded me at least that he's one of the top Trek authors of all time.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 May 2015
One of the best Star Trek novels I ever read so far; the psychological introspection (of Noonien Soong in this case) is something unusual in ST books and here, David Mack makes it not a boring read but a thrilling discovery and journey of a cybernetician who...but I can't say without divulging the scenario of this story.And it is also about the death of his son, Data, in the Nemesis accident. Again, a great book to read, we want more like this (and the good news is this is only part1 of 3).
on 1 January 2018
Like most of David Mack’s work that I’ve read to date in a perfect world we’d see this book realised as a new Trek film... this book is a rollercoaster that I could not put down. There are moments of joy, moments of sadness (and empathy for a poor guy who CANNOT seem to catch a break) and just enough left open to entice the reader i to the next instalment. Out-flippin’-standing.
on 4 September 2017
It's a story I've been waiting to read. The Gods of nights etc trilogy was amazing this is coming to be a close second.
on 6 January 2013
Although I am a Star Trek TNG fan, I didn't think I'd enjoy reading a book about Star Trek, but David Mack's style of writing is fast-paced and clever. His storytelling may compel me to download Book 2.

Incidently, the formatting for the Kindle eReader was excellent. It's good to see a publisher making the effort.
on 18 April 2017
an easy read
on 30 October 2014
Excellent stuff, it's as if the tv series and films are on going. Will def read next instalments of cold equations.
One person found this helpful
on 16 December 2012
star trek destiny is still the best tng series but cold equations is a close 2nd. Theres alot of surprises which I wont spoil for you but sufice it to say once again mack brings the startrek universe to the page without spending chapter after chapter on the personal agonsing of the cast . Plus the unexpected ressurection of two characters from the original tng series
on 25 October 2013
I chose this book by David Mack after reading his Star Trek Destiny books. Being long time reader of the SF genre I have always been a bit wary of books based on tv series. However, I have really enjoyed David Mack's books and found the them both true to the Start Trek spirit, whilst also developing imaginative plot lines that give you a real feel for the vastness of the universe. Definitely worth reading, in my opinion, if you are a Star Trek fan or just enjoy Science Fiction
on 30 November 2013
one of the best,innovative technically correct and thrilling books out of a trilogy I have read for some time. The first book in the series reminds me of the stainless steel rat stories of yeas ago.All of the other books in this trilogy are as good.