on 1 September 2013
Another book in Michael Jecks Templar Knights Series - you are missing out if you have not started reading this series.
on 27 February 2015
Started getting into theses novels by Michael Jecks and they are quite intriquing, ionce you get to know how the writer works, originally, I thought they were labourious, but then found after I stuck with it, that they were very clever and masterful bit of writing. Using some facts of that period and especially certain methods used by all parties it became a very interesting reading. Now I look forward to the next novel to pick up and start to read, my only wish would have been to follow the flow of the characters from their early creation right through, but alas there is no listing putting them in age order of the characters. Nothing worse than reading a book, then move onto the next book only to find you have now gone back 20years or so, please can we have books that follow that order, it would make much more interesting reading.
on 19 August 2012
I'm a lover of Michael Jecks' mysteries from the beginning of the series. I've grown old with Sir Baldwin. Sometimes the politics of the times seemed to overshadow the mysteries, but always the characters shone through. City of Fiends brings us back to a time when political events move to the background, and the mysteries take precedence. As usual, the characters continue to grow, and the plot twists and turns keep you guessing until the last chapter. Just once I'd like to be able to say I figured out the murderer, motive and circumstances before they're revealed by the author... but not this time. Five Stars, well deserved.
on 15 January 2013
I have read all his books,and they are brilliant,from start to finish.

Michael Jecks is great some history and how cruel the time was then.

He writes some great books.
on 16 April 2013
Really excellent read, a great follow up with a number of very descriptive battle scenes, which grab the imagination, highly recommended.
on 15 November 2013
A worthy follow up novel in the Templar series. In this one I felt that their old friend Sir Richard de Welles came more to the fore. This did not detract from the sleuthing efforts of Sir Baldwin and Simon. Well worth reading and a page turner.
on 23 July 2014
In short, this is was a cracking good read!

It's a finely crafted medieval whodunit that manages to convey the thorough research underpinning it and still remain a gripping page-turner.

The characters are beautifully drawn and memorable. The villains are about as nasty as they come but our protagonists, flawed as they are in some ways, will seem like dear friends by the end. You'll miss them when you close the back cover. Fortunately they all appear in other books in the series.

There is murder, intrigue, viciousness, greed and duplicity. There is also a somewhat world-weary compassion, sensitivity and determination to see justice done. The plot will keep you guessing to the last twist. The period is evoked in delicious detail without succumbing to too much description in the prose. It's tightly plotted, nicely written.

If, above all, you value top-notch storytelling and a writer who has complete command of his craft - this will not disappoint.

I shall be getting my hands on another of these gems as soon as I can.
on 1 June 2014
A good supplier to deal with and one I would happily use again. The book was well wrapped and arrived promptly. I have read all the books in this series and this one did not disappoint.
on 25 January 2016
I'm never going to give this author less than 5 stars because he is brilliant. Well researched, well written and certainly well read by me. The King of medieval murder mystery.
on 1 May 2013
I have read most of the Knight Templar books and find they suit my interest in historical novels especially when they have been research to the level of this book and others in the series.