Customer reviews

The Money Store
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 June 2016
My son started listening to this guy ever since he started watching some bald, melon headed cuck with stupid glasses on the you tube !! Very offensive superficial none sense - would not recommend.
44 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 June 2012
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... well, i can honestly say i have never heard anything quite like this before. I have heard records that have hinted at such an uncompromising aural attack, flirted at the concept but never anything with this much conviction. Back in the day i liked a lot of death metal, Morbid Angel,Deicide and such like. My musical tastes have gravitated towards more rap stuff these days BUT, and heres my point,stick with me, 'The Money Store' after several listens now reminds me a lot of Napalm Deaths debut 'Scum'. Not musicaly of course but in terms of attitude, shape and form.
Its addictive, its unique, its also sometimes to much to handle. You have to be in the mood for this record because it absolutely does not take any prisoners, your neighbours will hate it.
How to descibe 'The Money Store' musicaly? Rapping/shouting/chanting over dense beats/noises/alarms/explosions, a digital, hellish black mass led by a lunatic shaman who moonlights as a serial killer. I feel im not doing this justice here...
If your reading reviews about this record then you must have more than a passing interest in the subject. What does it cost? a tenner? Buy it and experience it.
on 24 April 2017
All of my friends were telling me to listen to Death Grips and I finally went for it. God damn, this is good, can honestly say i've never heard anything like this, definitely going to be investing in more of their albums, if you like hip-hop that's been pushed up about 20 notches, this is definitely for you!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
One of the best albums of 2012. Haven't heard a hip-hop record like this, and I'm not really into the genre but this album chewed me up and spat me out. The lyrics are cryptic, hilarious, creepy, and create this schizophrenic hobo of a character (even looks like one in the music videos) that's just fascinating to listen to in each of the songs. It's almost a concept album in that way. Yes, he can speak too fast but it fits the character and makes for a good challenge to sing-along, like the tongue twister opening of "Get Got".

I had no idea I'd be into something like this. Maybe because it's more crazy industrial-dance-noise punk with rapping than traditional hip hop, and I like grime too. It's more focused on the psychology of this crazy person than the typical subject matter of hip hop.

"I Seen Footage" is a very relevant look into this modern age of Internet shock videos and seeing all that real disturbing footage makes you lose your mind.

Some lyrics are hilarious like "I'll make your water break in the Apple store" (Hacker). I haven't spent this much time deciphering lyrics since an Interpol album.
on 10 March 2014
There are two ways to approach this album, both equally bad:

You either enter it expecting it to be amazing, as I did, only to find that it's an incredibly difficult album to access;
or you enter it expecting it to be awful, as many do, BECAUSE it's so difficult to access.

This is completely different to anything you've heard before. Get Got will throw you off from the outset, The Fever will have you in a daze, I've Seen Footage will have you bopping your head whilst The Cage will make you question reality.
Loosen yourself into it, though, and this really is an absolute masterpiece from start to finish.

It's also completely worth it for that one hook in closer Hacker:
Gets me every time.
(You won't understand until you listen to it)
on 5 June 2012
Like Watching Jacob's Ladder on mushrooms ( the magic variety) a hyper real tour round the skull of raving poet for the 21st Century.
Like being caught in a mosh at thrash metal gig, where the guitarists are playing samplers and keyboards and the singer recites stream of consciousness, pummeled aurally, and physically by distorted beats and samples you have no choice but to join in....!
30 years of MTV , and News blended together, beat matched and jacked into your skull through an overloaded cable...
William Gibson's Neuromancer made real...

From Hacker....

You'll catch a jpeg to the head
über reach
You're an intern
On wikileaks
Most loved therefore most hated
Come and knock on the door we've been waiting for you
Game changer
Reclusive aggressive
Yingin and yanging noided
Info warrior jack the hacker
The rolling stoner
Profit on disaster

At once opaque, and lucid in the same sentence, streaming recent events and calling up pop cultural/sci-fi references ... great stuff, challenging for sure, but it'll get your adrenalin pumping just listening....
on 6 September 2012
I don't usually listen to Hip hop and can't remember why I chose this album but I put it on my hifi and closed my eyes and let it flow over me and try to absorb all the noise. I really liked it. There's so much going on and the sounds shift alot. Can't understand most of what is being sung/shouted but it doesn't bother me. A few tracks in the 2nd half are not good IMO but most are likeable and I do give this a bit of play time. Favourites: Get Got, BlackJack, Hustle bones, Ive seen footage, B*** Please, Hacker, really 4.1/5 but as others haven't rated it highly i'll give it 5.
on 3 July 2016
When I first listened to Death Grips, I felt disgust, shock and overwhelming fear. I wanted to get as far away from it as possible; but precisely 2 weeks later I fell in love with it. The unique, aggressive vocals blended with the amazing drumming skills and sampling fuse together to bring something that you will eventually love. Don't be afraid.
on 23 September 2016
Probably the best birthday present I've ever given.
on 2 January 2013
I downloaded Exmilitary last year on a whim, and was thoroughly impressed. On The Money Store, the band has only improved. The overall sound reminds me more of some uber-technical "math-rock" bands than anything I've heard in rap or electronic music (though like I say, my knowledge of either is limited), though there are a fair few moments that remind me of The Prodigy's best work. I've Seen Footage is one of thoes, and has the best synth riff I've heard in a long time.