I had actually ordered a Griffin all singing and dancing survivor case, but due to poor availability and further research I opted for the Gumdrop.

I was concerned that the Griffin would make the iPad too bulky especially considering the fact that I would be carrying it around outside for work.

The Gumdrop arrived and I found that even though I had ordered a black case/black frame model it actually came with a red frame. I can live with that for the time being. It arrived well packaged; unboxing made it feel like a quality item. There were no instructions as to how you were supposed to separate the case, but finally common sense prevailed and I took it apart. The fact that it took some effort to remove the rubber/silicon cover gave me confidence in its ability to protect the iPad.

Once I had it apart it was simple to place the iPad into the frame but refitting the outer case took a little bit of effort. Again this gives me confidence that the case will survive a few knocks and drops.

The Gumdrop fits the iPad like a glove, it adds very little bulk, but there have to be compromises. The `tyre tread' pattern on the case makes it nicely grippy and unlikely to slide off smooth surfaces. It sticks to the table like a Formula 1 tyre.

The port covers for re charging and headphones etc. are a little stiff but do not get in the way.

All well and good you think? Not quite I'm afraid.

The plastic frame is a little sharp in places so mind your fingers. Secondly it comes with a built in but removable and replaceable screen protector.

The screen protector has reasonable optics, but on a tactile basis it is horrible. It sits slightly higher up than the screen so every time you swipe or press you feel the plastic giving way. Worse still, the screen protector sometimes sticks to the iPad screen in places and it gives the optical illusion that there is moisture on the screen.

Now I understand that there have to be compromises, but this is one too far considering the quality of the new iPad screen.

Now I like the case, I really do, it would not do it justice to only give it 3 stars. I have a solution to the screen protector problem.

The case does not boast that its shower proof. I will remove the plastic of the screen protector.

Before I place the iPad back into the case I will apply a quality screen protector, possibly a Zagg HD. I have had great results from them previously on all my mobile phones, even on the curved screen of a HTC Sensation, and they are pretty much indestructible and come with a lifetime guarantee.

To Gumdrop I would ask that they redesign the screen protector because it is really awful.

4 Stars for protection.
1 Star for the screen protector.
4 Stars for not adding too much bulk.
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2012
This offers great protection without being too heavy or bulky. The tyre-style pattern across the back makes it easy to grip and the ports are easy to access with well-made flaps that cover the charging port when not in use. The volume buttons are covered by the case but remain easy to use, likewise the home button. The screen is still easy to access but well protected by the inclusive screen protector and the case that wraps around the edges to protect against knocks and bumps.
on 8 October 2012
This is exactly what I was looking for. Not too bulky but good protection and clear plastic on front of screen which doesn't stop the screen from working as it is. Bit pricey for what it is but if it stops the kids damaging the iPad when they use it then well worth it!
on 25 March 2014
We got this to ensure the iPad stayed safe when in use by the children. We have had it for approx 2years now and we highly recommend it to all our friends. It disguises the iPad so often it just looks like a kiddy tablet, so less prone to theft when left lying about. More importantly, our kids bump and drop the iPad on occasion without causing harm.
on 11 May 2016
If I could I would give 6* :) is perfect if you have small kids :) it protect 100% looks big but it doesnt bother me at all. Before I bought this case I paid twice to change screen after problem was solved !
on 24 January 2014
Bought as iPad was damaged from two accidental drops by me! My daughter now uses it she's nearly 5 yrs old, so I wanted full protection so that my brother (IT Billy wizz) didn't have to come to the rescue again! Feels very robust and secure. Added bonus with screen protector too. Can't see this being damaged from a drop think it would just bounce back up! Yes it's heavy and looks like a car tire but I'd rather buy it for its protection than it's look.
on 2 July 2013
This is an excellent product if you have children that will get their hands on the ipad - well worth the money as the ipad itself is an expensive item to allow to get broken if dropped!
the only thing about it is that it adds weight to the ipad but as I said again - worth it to avoid accidents happening!!
on 10 January 2015
Good protection for my sons Ipad2
Is a little fiddly to get the ipad in the case to start with but once inserted gives a good level of protection still able to access all ports and buttons.
Make sure the screen is clean before insertion as fiddly to take out and clean afterwards
on 26 April 2013
This is a chunky case BUT if you're buying this that is probably what you want. If you're giving your kids your iPad to play with then this is probably what you want. It's a pain to put on but once it's on it's like an Iron Man outfit for your iPad.
on 30 July 2012
Ordered the Product on Saturday the 28 arrived about a hour ago a day earlier than I expected. The product itself is well designed and I know it will protect my Ipad 2 my only real nitpick is the lack of directions on how to put the case together and like the above review the screen protector but overall I love it and will definitely recommend.