1,067
Style: M5A78L-M LX3|Change

on 3 June 2016
Pricey, but this has to be the best quality board that I have ever had the pleasure to build with, and I use the word "pleasure" advisedly. It is weighty and well laid out, and with an AMD FX8350 Black Edition Octacore, Corsair vengeance ram, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 and Arctic cooler this thing sings. It should be a cinch to upgrade, but to date it has coped admirably with the many games that my son has thrown at it, and he still declares himself to be more than happy with the rig. I am currently contemplating another build, and this remains high on my list of prospective motherboards. If this board were any more attractive then I would probably have to marry it!
on 26 February 2013
This motherboard is pretty good! I bought it primarily because it was the only one I could get on next day delivery, which would support both my crossfire graphics cards, and the new AMD 8350 Vishera CPU I bought with it. There were a few more things considered, e.g the fact that I may want to have a lot of hard drives at some point (I do a lot of movie editing, so yeah, storage needed), and the fact that I might want external hard drives running on USB3. This having a few PCI-e x1 slots is useful, as is the crossfire support. My other condition is that it needed to have 4 RAM slots, again due to the nature of what I do I need to basically throw power at the computer to get results and work out of it.

My only complaint is that the panel supplied is about 1mm off, though this could be my case, I suspect it's just me being incredibly fussy.

Definitely worth the extra £30 or so over the basic models, and highly recommended to anyone looking to get a power station set up.
on 16 January 2015
As a newish pc builder I reviewed many motherboards before settling on this one. The price point was excellent, the reviews were very good to excellent and it could deal with an amd fx-8350. Fitted everything I wanted.

It comes in its own box with a rather large instruction manual. However, unlike other manuals, this one was actually really helpful and it worth reading if you are relatively new to the whole pc building process. Installation in an elite 330 case was a doddle and seems to have excellent build quality.

Upon switching on the system it has some very helpful beeps which let you know that everything is connected or if something is not. The translation to these beeps is in the manual. This was helpful for me as I had not connected the power supply to the video card correctly and so there was no display. A quick look through the book, switch off the pc, connect the video card properly and voila no problems.

For those who are thinking of buying an fx-8350 with this motherboard, I can safely say it fits and works well. I have noticed that some people have had issues with temperature and this motherboard and I seemed to have it too. However a fairly quick bios update done through EZ update (if I remember right) and the cpu stock fan and temperature seemed to get on better together.
on 13 May 2016
I love this motherboard, it look's fantastic inside a PC Case with the BLUE colored areas.This motherboard contains a motherboard CD that you need to get port's on the motherboard such as: USB 3.0 & GPU's & Ethernet Port etc. It also comes with a BLUE ASUS Sticker for you PC Case, motherboard comes with a software called EPU-4 where your able to control you CPU Fan speed at all times and control CPU Usage.! I use this Motherboard for a custom built PC, for this motherboard I have a: AMD 6300 & MSI 730 GPU & VS550 Power Supply powering the motherboard. Seller very helpful, after a while had a problem with my Ethernet port however seller was very kind and helpful and sent out a replacement!
on 7 July 2015
No issues with this board. At first, it wouldn't start using FX-8350 but upgrading the BIOS seemed to solve that. That's possible even if the board won't run using a USB stick containing the new BIOS. I'm using this with 16 Gb memory and it's a vast improvement on my old AS Rock Intel E7500 processor board. I didn't even have to use the driver CD - Windows 8.1 just seemed to install the correct drivers.

And the email support from ASUS was quite quick, unlike some other board makers I've experienced.

My only problem was with Windows 8 activation and Microsoft's appalling telephone system.
on 18 July 2016
I received 2 of these motherboards, the first one was faulty and did not work. Amazon were great and I received a replacement the next day, lo and behold it was also faulty. Returned for a refund and would not buy this motherboard again.
on 30 October 2014
This motherboard is great. I bought it for an AMD FX 6300 CPU and a Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Vapor-X GPU. It works completely fine!

Benchmarks:

Battlfield 4 (Ultra): Average of 50FPS
Battlfield 3 (Ultra): Average of 60FPS
Alien Isolation (Ultra): 60FPS (locked at 60 in game)
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive: Average of 170FPS
APB Reloaded (Max settings): Average of 80FPS+

Great motherboard for entry level buyers and a lot of cool features such as on board button to access UEFI, check RAM and USB BIOS Flashback! 2 USB 3.0 ports at the back and one USB 3.0 header on the motherboard for the front panel of the case. I put this MOBO in a BitFenix Comrade Mid Tower case. Has 6 SATA III 6GB/s ports. The user manual has a lot of information and tells you how to build a PC as well. Has all the features in the manual too. Worth reading after you build the PC. I run Windows 8 Pro on this build.

Overall, great motherboard, 5 Stars, Would recommend!
on 11 October 2014
Nice board, good quality.
A few things to watch for. If you are planning to install windows vista the sound may start (popping) when the Ethernet is plugged in.
If the Ethernet is turned off it stops popping.
This only seems to be an issue with vista (windows 7 does not have the same issue). The back I/O panel is a poor fit, so bad that I have left it off. I have a cooler master case which I have noticed others who have this board and say the same also have. Maybe a cooler master and ASUS problem?
The bios is nice and easy to get on with. Another note is that this board (or at least the one I was supplied) already had turboV enabled. Just a small problem really and easy to change.

Nice overall and seems well worth the extra then some Gigabyte boards.

On a different note amazon's drop box service was quick, easy and cheap. It also saves waiting in all day for a courier!
on 1 February 2015
I used this motherboard in combination with FX 8120, FX 8150, FX 8320 and FX 8350 to build 4 PC's until now. I built the first one 3 years ago (not R2.0 but same mobo) and it still runs great after the owner used it to play World of Warcraft 10 to 20 hours daily. None of the users reported any problems with those PC's. Nice UEFI on it easy to flash.

Basically I had no issues with this motherboard until I bought it from Amazon.
The motherboard came with the large heatsink detached from the motherboard with 2 broken screws carefully hidden under it. As I purchased this MOBO for myself I didn't send it back for replacement (I waited almos 2 weeks for it to arrive in the first place) just used a couple of zip ties to attach the heatsink to the mobo. I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and have had no issues with it just giving it an okay rating because the damage was clearly seen by the seller and he tried to cover it hoping he would find a guy like me who wouldn't send it back and succeeded.
review image review image
on 10 March 2017
Superb mobo without having to shell out tons of cash. Coupled with an AMD 8 core chip, windows 7 pro 64bit, 8gb RAM and the GTX 750Ti gfx card. Whilst this isn't going to rock any pro gamers world, for professional photo set-up it works very nicely. Also handles most new games as well and never had an issue.